Haitians, After Perilous Journey, Find Door to U.S. Abruptly Shut

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
TIJUANA, Mexico ? They passed the corpses of other migrants who had tried to cross the Americas. They were cheated by smugglers and fleeced by armed bandits, and they suffered long stretches of hunger.

Finally, after months of traveling across nine international borders, the Haitians made it to Tijuana, where thousands of their countrymen had already been allowed to enter the United States this year. All they had to do, they thought, was wait for their appointments with immigration officials and they, too, would be allowed on American soil.

Then, suddenly, they learned that their journey ? and the hopes of thousands of others like them heading toward the American border ? had most likely come to an abrupt, crushing end.

On Thursday, the Obama administration, in an effort to halt an extraordinary wave of Haitian migrants streaming to the United States, announced that it was tightening its immigration policy on Haitians. Those who appeared at the American border without visas would almost certainly be sent back to Haiti.

The unexpected change sowed deep disappointment and confusion among the hundreds of Haitians at the border who thought they were only days away from entering the United States. Thousands more are still on their way, risking their lives on a perilous trip, probably in vain.

More at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/24/w...-mexico-brazil-deport-united-states.html?_r=0

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
And the problem with the above is?? should tighten on everyone not just Haitians!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe Clinton should release some millions for Haiti so these poor people won't have to leave their country. :ermm:

One report showed that as much as 6% of the money entering the Clinton Foundation actually reaches those for whom it is intended.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Before a representative of the CARICOM blasts President Obama for his tightening policy against Haitian illegal immigration.

Before a group of women interrupt President Obama in any of his speeches and begin chanting "we are all Haiti."

Before the head of the UN visits the White House plus Congress and the Senate to ask for a halt on the tightening against Haitian illegal immigration.

Yeah_Right.png

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
TIJUANA, Mexico ? They passed the corpses of other migrants who had tried to cross the Americas. They were cheated by smugglers and fleeced by armed bandits, and they suffered long stretches of hunger.

Finally, after months of traveling across nine international borders, the Haitians made it to Tijuana, where thousands of their countrymen had already been allowed to enter the United States this year. All they had to do, they thought, was wait for their appointments with immigration officials and they, too, would be allowed on American soil.

Then, suddenly, they learned that their journey ? and the hopes of thousands of others like them heading toward the American border ? had most likely come to an abrupt, crushing end.

On Thursday, the Obama administration, in an effort to halt an extraordinary wave of Haitian migrants streaming to the United States, announced that it was tightening its immigration policy on Haitians. Those who appeared at the American border without visas would almost certainly be sent back to Haiti.

The unexpected change sowed deep disappointment and confusion among the hundreds of Haitians at the border who thought they were only days away from entering the United States. Thousands more are still on their way, risking their lives on a perilous trip, probably in vain.

More at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/24/w...-mexico-brazil-deport-united-states.html?_r=0

Y entonces? They knew it was illegal when they started out on the journey, as well as dangerous. How many of those borders they crossed did they cross legally?
Der Fish

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
TIJUANA, Mexico — They passed the corpses of other migrants who had tried to cross the Americas. They were cheated by smugglers and fleeced by armed bandits, and they suffered long stretches of hunger.

Then, suddenly, they learned that their journey — and the hopes of thousands of others like them heading toward the American border — had most likely come to an abrupt, crushing end.

More at:

Good.
I had to walk around, step over and cut through several groups of Haitians
just hanging around (taking up space) in the park yesterday on my way to visit a friend.
I don?t want to have to do this when I travel to the states to visit family.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
One report showed that as much as 6% of the money entering the Clinton Foundation actually reaches those for whom it is intended.

Check your facts. It's closer to 15%. Which I agree is not great. But it's better than 6%.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
How ironic, the person who robbed them blind during a natural disaster, may likely be the President of the country they are fleeing to for a better life.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
They try to pass as African refugees but in fact they're Haitian. Panama says that 80% is Haitian while Costa Rica says that 95% is.
The article states that they're 50 thousand going north from Brazil.
http://elsiglo.com/panama/80-haitianos-asegura-presidente/23955377

So? Remember when the Miami Herald had their Mother ship theory about the Haitians hitting the Miami Beach shore? Had to be a huge ship dropping them off in the yolas,because they just couldn't have survived in a boat so small. If they have money to travelt o Brazil and then overland for a couple of weeks why cannot they use that money to live on in Haiti? Not much makes sense if one thinks about it.
Der Fish

Jun 18, 2007
So? Remember when the Miami Herald had their Mother ship theory about the Haitians hitting the Miami Beach shore? Had to be a huge ship dropping them off in the yolas,because they just couldn't have survived in a boat so small. If they have money to travelt o Brazil and then overland for a couple of weeks why cannot they use that money to live on in Haiti? Not much makes sense if one thinks about it.
Der Fish

Maybe they collected within their families to pay for the trip, if he makes it he can send money back home.
It does make sense. ;)

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Maybe they collected within their families to pay for the trip, if he makes it he can send money back home.
It does make sense. ;)

The pretense used to be that it cost a Haitian $5,000 US to get in a yola and try for Miami Beach. In a country where it takes 8 years for a person to earn that much or 8 family and friends to give up their entire food and housing allowance for a whole year to send one who possibly may get thru and may be returned before he gets there, No, I don't believe it.
Der Fish

Jun 18, 2007
The pretense used to be that it cost a Haitian $5,000 US to get in a yola and try for Miami Beach. In a country where it takes 8 years for a person to earn that much or 8 family and friends to give up their entire food and housing allowance for a whole year to send one who possibly may get thru and may be returned before he gets there, No, I don't believe it.
Der Fish

You might not wanna believe it but trust me it's true.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
?Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.?

tumblr_ms49w4tarp1sv551qo1_500.gif