Need to talk to contractor?

Guy Nevin

Sep 26, 2016
I have been asked to come to the DR and look at several construction projects in the Santiago aria. These projects are everything from a church being built to buildings being added on to. I would like to have more
information about the building practices, and any helpful knowledge you may grace me with.
I can be more if there is interest?
Thank you
Guy

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You're looking at them for what purpose? How can you help them if you're new to Dom building practices?

For what it's worth, building practices are basically the same world over. Are you a builder? Anyways, mostly masonry, less wood the better, mahogany if you have to use wood, concrete and tile. That about does it.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have been asked to come to the DR and look at several construction projects in the Santiago aria. These projects are everything from a church being built to buildings being added on to. I would like to have more
information about the building practices, and any helpful knowledge you may grace me with.
Thank you
Guy

Building practices here include having a shack on premises so a watchman can spend the night. Haitians come during the day, a few Dominicans work on construction, but mostly Haitians and when they leave the job at night they most usually leave a night watch man or supplies and tools will be gone before morning.
That help?
Der Fish

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thank you
Guy

If you were doing it properly following the building regulations you would obtain your building permit (license to construct) as below process from MOPC.

http://www.mopc.gob.do/servicios/di...lanos/emisión-de-la-licencia-de-construcción/

And your Architect and Consultants would need to be accredited to CODIA

http://www.codia.org.do/ (the advert for the convention in November keeps popping up on the first screen on the website)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you were doing it properly following the building regulations you would obtain your building permit (license to construct) as below process from MOPC.

http://www.mopc.gob.do/servicios/di...lanos/emisión-de-la-licencia-de-construcción/

And your Architect and Consultants would need to be accredited to CODIA

http://www.codia.org.do/ (the advert for the convention in November keeps popping up on the first screen on the website)

Ha, Ha, Ha LOL. You are not in Kansas anymore. Good luck. I am sure if you go on the site you wil quickly be able to determine how things are done. Good luck and good travels.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Ha, Ha, Ha LOL. You are not in Kansas anymore. Good luck. I am sure if you go on the site you wil quickly be able to determine how things are done. Good luck and good travels.

The bigger projects are done like this and as a resident in the business what I have written is a reference point for those involved in serious construction projects and I believe the op was seeking serious advice lol

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
There are really no real codes as you know them. Most of the contractors learned from someone else, who had no real training. Example Elct. wiring is all the same color. not blk, wht. blw. You buy a spoole and use it till it's done. Unless your building a major project., what foundation. Think back to the US. 100 yuears ago. I have't seen a code and if there is', just pay someone off.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Steve,
take a look at this.......

google - amanera playa grande

you'll see some pretty sophisticated design & engineering.... to anyone's standards
My friend, the chief engineer was impressed by the caliber of the young RD engineers he hired.

He also thinks that RD cement is some of the best he has ever used.

It truly is a masterpiece of construction & engineering.....a difficult architectural idea to create

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
We had real plans for first apartment. Done by engineers in Santo Domingo. Reviewed by government office. Stamped approved.

Where it falls apart is construction. Obviously, you have to have someone competent watching the Haitians build it.

Good luck. Donde fue the OP?

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are really no real codes as you know them. Most of the contractors learned from someone else, who had no real training. Example Elct. wiring is all the same color. not blk, wht. blw. You buy a spoole and use it till it's done. Unless your building a major project., what foundation. Think back to the US. 100 yuears ago. I have't seen a code and if there is', just pay someone off.

incorrect- wiring is three colors, and the government puts on construction courses, as well as Maestro de Constructor courses.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
incorrect- wiring is three colors, and the government puts on construction courses, as well as Maestro de Constructor courses.

MY landlady had air conditioners installed here last week. They were wired with all the wires being red. I don't know nor care what any legal codes might be here, but I am not that colorblind that I cannot see what colors were the wires that these "experts"used!
Der Fish

Sep 4, 2012
MY landlady had air conditioners installed here last week. They were wired with all the wires being red. I don't know nor care what any legal codes might be here, but I am not that colorblind that I cannot see what colors were the wires that these "experts"used!
Der Fish

I can do the same thing at my house, but it doesn't negate codes. Electrical wiring colors are universally known and used as such.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
BLK, RED, WHITE, GREEN, ORANGE, BLUE, PURPLE, YELLOW, GREY, BROWN.........Do you know any electricity Bob?

I am no expert but here in the DR that is what they use for the most part. I have experience wiring according to code in Ontario and British Columbia but that is a different thing altogether.

Sep 4, 2012
I am no expert but here in the DR that is what they use for the most part. I have experience wiring according to code in Ontario and British Columbia but that is a different thing altogether.

I'll give you a break....but DR as the USA uses for the most part BLK, WHT, GND and RED.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Well. I
have a Mech. Engr. Lic. and A Masters Lic. in HVAC. I live in Caberete. I wached my condo built. All th wires are white. Friends in POP and Sousa have asked me to come look at things when they have a problem, Same thing, maybe dif. color. I taged all my wiring. Used a multi meter. Your not in US., CDN. FR., etc. You can get things built right, but it will really cost you. Try 3X as much or more. And no I do not want a job. I'm tired or maybe it's retired.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Well. I
have a Mech. Engr. Lic. and A Masters Lic. in HVAC. I live in Caberete. I wached my condo built. All th wires are white. Friends in POP and Sousa have asked me to come look at things when they have a problem, Same thing, maybe dif. color. I taged all my wiring. Used a multi meter. Your not in US., CDN. FR., etc. You can get things built right, but it will really cost you. Try 3X as much or more. And no I do not want a job. I'm tired or maybe it's retired.

Here is a typical 5 story going up in Santo Domingo. I saw when they built my building and they were not using all this 10 inch thick Styrofoam with the small cement blocks (look like 4-6 inch). Glad my building seemed to have better engineers but still far from real world style.
Here is a short video i posted on facebook https://www.facebook.com/Robhharris/videos/10157805541875508/