Car rental in Puna Cana - off airport property?

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Can anyone recommend a good car rental company PC, preferably off airport property? The last few trips we've rented right at the airport and, although we've gotten good vehicles and have not had any issues with the rentals, the airport fees seem really high there, almost doubling the initial rental price.

We want to see what the difference is renting elsewhere. Last trip we meant to jot down the names of some of the other rental companies we saw that are off airport property, but never did.

Pros/Cons? Recommendations?

The rental is for the end of October for 8 days for a smallSUV.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Where will you be staying? It'll be easier to obtain and return the rental car near where you'll be.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Thank Chirimoya! Will check that out. We are staying at Playa Turquesa. I've seen a fairly large one just past Gladys's I think, on the opposite side of the street?? Can't remember the name although there always seems to be a lot of activity there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'll try and remember to look when I pass that way later today. Sure it's not a car dealer?

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Hmmmm....no, now that you ask, I'm not sure. It very well could be. I've assumed it's a rental company and I think I've seen signs for that but now you have me wondering. :)

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Try Marina Rent a car. 809-546-0066. According to their add their latest special is 189/week including insurance. The one you are thinking of across the street from Plaza Turquesa also starts with an M, although I can't recall the name.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Thank Chirimoya! Will check that out. We are staying at Playa Turquesa. I've seen a fairly large one just past Gladys's I think, on the opposite side of the street?? Can't remember the name although there always seems to be a lot of activity there.

I highly recommend Cedeno, just down Av Alemania from PT. Not the cheapest, but if you have problems with the vehicle, they'll come to you to help get it resolved. They will also take plastic, and not insist that you leave your passport as security.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Try Marina Rent a car. 809-546-0066. According to their add their latest special is 189/week including insurance. The one you are thinking of across the street from Plaza Turquesa also starts with an M, although I can't recall the name.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

All the rentals include insurance; the deductible will be well in excess of the vehicle's value. The additional insurance, if taken, will also reduce the security ask. At least it does with Cedeno.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

The one near Gladys' is Melo. I'd recommend staying away from them.

Jan 7, 2016

The Rental Agency that you are referring to on the Avenue is a local operation and the cars they rent are REALLY used and really not maintained well, although you'll find the level of upkeep on the cars here isn't what you are accustomed to in North America or Europe. Just have to live with it.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Go on line and search rental cars in Punta Cana. Most will meet you at the airport with the car. You can compare pricing on line or at least e-mail to find out prices.

Jan 7, 2016
If you rent from the large agencies like Hertz, Dollar, Alamo, etc. off-site of the airport, you can arrange to drop the car at the airport when you leave for no additional charge, as they are all connected as a business to the desks at the airport.

1greasy

Jun 21, 2012
Dollar is housed at Atlantic Motors, the Hyundai dealership just across the Caravella showroom past the cruce de Coco Loco.
Their service has always been awesome. They'll pick you up or drop you off at the airport if you need it.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Update: We did indeed rent from Marina and they will pick us up/drop us off. The rate, with tax, is approx. $75 cheaper than our last rental at the airport. My husband spoke with them a few times and decided to book with them. He said they sounded very nice and they sent him some pix of the cars to choose from. Where are they located? I forgot to ask that.