Cigars

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Where can I get a box or two of cigars Partagas or Fonseca or hand rolled in Santiago. No tourist traps please

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Are you looking for the Dominican or Cuban versions?

Do not by the Cuban versions. First many times the Cuban cigars are not fresh and as soon as they leave the humidor they dry out fast. Secondly if you are leaving the country for the US you still can't legally bring these back in. The quality of the Domincian Cigars is equal to and in some cases better than its Cuban counterparts. Your best bet is to find a small local company that rolls their own and has reasonable prices. Unless you are a cigar afficianato you will be just as happy with your purchase. In Las Terrenas there is a great store called Mundo Puro located accross the street from the French bakery and cafe. They have a great quality local product and also sell the upscale Dominican Brands. It is worth the ride from Santiago although you should be able to find a number of manufacturers in Santiago itself. If you go on-line and search cigars in Santiago you will find very good info. Good luck.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I'd also be interested in advice on cigar gift boxes. More important than the cigar itself is the quality of the packaging and the price, as I'll need to give away several of these in December to gringos who know nothing about this stuff.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Try Tobaccos Don Esteban SRL The Manager is Oskar Nausch German Dominican Santiago Tel 809 570-7111 email info@donesteban.com
Its a nice not too small factory. Hand rolled everything. Get in contact and tell him Rudi in Miami gave you the info.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Do not by the Cuban versions. First many times the Cuban cigars are not fresh and as soon as they leave the humidor they dry out fast. Secondly if you are leaving the country for the US you still can't legally bring these back in. The quality of the Domincian Cigars is equal to and in some cases better than its Cuban counterparts. Your best bet is to find a small local company that rolls their own and has reasonable prices. Unless you are a cigar afficianato you will be just as happy with your purchase. In Las Terrenas there is a great store called Mundo Puro located accross the street from the French bakery and cafe. They have a great quality local product and also sell the upscale Dominican Brands. It is worth the ride from Santiago although you should be able to find a number of manufacturers in Santiago itself. If you go on-line and search cigars in Santiago you will find very good info. Good luck.

Hahahahaha

Why is it then that every single serious cigar smoker on the island is most happy to try whatever I bring in my travel case to the island?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hahahahaha

Why is it then that every single serious cigar smoker on the island is most happy to try whatever I bring in my travel case to the island?

Why would you bring cigars to the DR? I don't quite understand your point? Of course if you are giving someone an expensive cigar they certainly will be happy to receive it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cigar store at Gran Almirante has a fine selection and honest product.
You can also roam around Tamboril. There are 50 cigar factories there....

Hb

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Why would you bring cigars to the DR? I don't quite understand your point? Of course if you are giving someone an expensive cigar they certainly will be happy to receive it.

Fair enough.

1. If you like cigars there are plenty of options for good Dominican smokes. Fuentes, Aurora, Leon Jiminez, Davidoff etc, etc.. These are good cigars.

2. Cuban cigars are rolled differently and because of differences in soil make-up they have a different taste too. If you like that then smoke those if not then not. This difference in taste is the reason why I travel with a travel humidor containing a small sample of my cigars. Over the years many have enjoyed smoking from that travel humidor, either to satisfy their curiosity or because they really liked Cuban cigars.

3. The point about bringing cigars to the US is a good point. You cannot bring more than US$ 100 worth of Cuban cigars to the USA.

4. The point about Cuban cigars not being fresh is completely incorrect, once you buy from a respected source.

5. After the revolution in Cuba, the commies stole the Cuban marca's like Montecristo, Partagas, etc. The cigar families disbursed over the Caribbean basin. Don Pepin moved to Miami, Fuentes and Davidoff to the DR and Padron to Nicaragua and expanded/started their businesses there. The 'theft' of the marcas was upheld in international courts whence you don't see non-Cuban Montecristo, Partagas etc in European shops in any significant quantity. This is the source of my question if he was looking for Cuban or Dominican cigars of the marcas mentioned.

May 12, 2005
Also anyone looking for a place to have a smoke while in Santiago, check out Houseblend Cigar Lounge on Av. Rafael Vidal

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

LTSteve, I agree 100%, plus many times the more expensive Cuban cigars are, in reality, Dominican cigars with Cuban wrappers (not the wrapper used on the outside of the cigar but the commercial name brand wrappers).

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Ask Cccccccc this question for a clear answer.