Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Santo Domingo to Las Galeras

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Santo Domingo to Las Galeras

    So we land at the airport in Santo Domingo and are trying to get out to LG. Everything I am finding is pretty old info from ferries to guaguas and taxi or buses even renting a car.
    So what is the best way to get out there? Just 2 of us any suggestions? Thanks

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plastichucker View Post
    So we land at the airport in Santo Domingo and are trying to get out to LG. Everything I am finding is pretty old info from ferries to guaguas and taxi or buses even renting a car.
    So what is the best way to get out there? Just 2 of us any suggestions? Thanks
    It would help if you advise the time of arrival to start with, so the options can be explained. Basically taxi (very expensive c $250) or car hire takes about three and a half hours and I would strongly advise against travel after dark.

    By bus you go to the Caribe Tours bus station (check site http://www.caribetours.com.do/ ) at the end of the Samana highway and get a bus to Samana and onwards by taxi or guagua. Taxi from airport to Caribe Tours and probably costs $15. you can also pick up regular guaguas to Samana at this location at end of highway.
    Last edited by ju10prd; 09-30-2016 at 12:49 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the quick reply! We land on Jan 7th and stay for 7 days in LG our flights arrive and depart early afternoon time so daylight won't be an issue. So it sounds like the bus is the best bet then? Thanks again for the advice.

  4. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plastichucker View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! We land on Jan 7th and stay for 7 days in LG our flights arrive and depart early afternoon time so daylight won't be an issue. So it sounds like the bus is the best bet then? Thanks again for the advice.
    If you use the Caribe tours website and the interactive map, you will find that there are 2.30pm and 4.30pm buses to Samana from the Santo Domingo terminus which is about half and hour by taxi from the airport. The interactive map does not show departures from their depot at Las Americas at the end of the highway but I feel sure both buses would stop there say 20 minutes after the above times. I would suggest you contact them. By going to main terminus on 27th Febrero you are heading back along the route the bus will take to Samana. That extra 20 minutes plus taxi time to 27th may be important of your flight gets delayed or the immigration queues are long.

    I would add that having driven the Samana highway over thirty times, I have always seen plenty of smaller buses plying the route to Samana and Sanchez (which is on the way in the peninsula to Samana and beyond) and they pick up at the entrance to the highway alongside the Caribe Tours stop.

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    16,962
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good point ju10, lots of guaguas on that road

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The OP has not given us the arrival time as early afternoon is open to interpretation.
    There is a bus line that plies SD to LG but I don't know the times, so Caribe Tours is the sure thing to get to Samana and then a guagua to LG (many of those guaguas are pick up trucks) for 100 RD I believe.

    To the Op for your return trip ask around in LG (End of the Road Café is good) and you'll learn about the other bus line.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks again for the responses! We land at 1:08 pm and after looking at the Caribe tours bus schedule it has a bus at 12:20pm (4.5 hours 3 transfers) and 4:40pm (17.5 hours with 3 transfers and a night in sabana) we can do either of those so back to the taxi options. Hey ju10prd I see you wrote "expensive c $250" is that US dollars I kind of assume so?*

  8. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plastichucker View Post
    Thanks again for the responses! We land at 1:08 pm and after looking at the Caribe tours bus schedule it has a bus at 12:20pm (4.5 hours 3 transfers) and 4:40pm (17.5 hours with 3 transfers and a night in sabana) we can do either of those so back to the taxi options. Hey ju10prd I see you wrote "expensive c $250" is that US dollars I kind of assume so?*
    Try this link

    http://www.dominicanshuttles.com/air...FUFbhgodahkJRA

    I think you would be wise to consider a taxi or shuttle for the journey to your hotel and get the bus back so not to ruin the start of your holiday in a new destination (assume you don't know SDQ and area).

    My mention of a price for taxi fare was based upon using a taxi from SDQ to Las Terrenas taken on arrival without prior negotiation from SICHALA the authorized airport taxi company. http://ww25.taxisichala.com/ I was charged $200. Drop them a line and ask for a rate.

    There are other companies offering transfers on line and other posters may know of some.

    By the way, you are not the first person to book a vacation without appreciating this is a quite a large island with variable topography and not perfect roads and transport systems, and so face a challenge getting to your chosen resort.......but you have chosen a nice part of the country and I sincerely hope you enjoy it to the full.

    Next ask for advice on the area and things to must do and you should get some good advice on this forum.
    Last edited by ju10prd; 09-30-2016 at 09:14 PM.

  9. Likes DRob liked this post
  10. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks again I will look at that one. Also no I don't know SD or LG or anything about DR except what I can read. I really am thankful for the insight. So from what I can also find the car rental price for a week is under $200 so there is that. Have you ever rented a car for the trip? Seems like too good of a price to be real but all the major rental places are very close in price Alamo, Avis, thrift and dollar. Thanks again

  11. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,490
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plastichucker View Post
    Thanks again I will look at that one. Also no I don't know SD or LG or anything about DR except what I can read. I really am thankful for the insight. So from what I can also find the car rental price for a week is under $200 so there is that. Have you ever rented a car for the trip? Seems like too good of a price to be real but all the major rental places are very close in price Alamo, Avis, thrift and dollar. Thanks again
    The insurance more than triples the cost. Advice on using your credit card insurance cover in lieu should be by others since I am not from NA.

    The drive to LG is easy. The only complication is finding the entry to the toll road but there is a thread on that. Otherwise a very straight forward drive which is safe daytime for sure.

    And a car in LG gives you freedom to see Playa Rincon, visit Samana and Las Terrenas and see Playa La Valle the best beach imo.

    https://www.google.com.do/maps/@18.8.../data=!3m1!1e3 route 7 then route 5 easy
    Last edited by ju10prd; 09-30-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •