Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Santo Domingo to Las Galeras

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plastichucker View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! We land on Jan 7th and stay for 7 days in LG our flights arrive and depart early afternoon time so daylight won't be an issue. So it sounds like the bus is the best bet then? Thanks again for the advice.
    I would rent a car and drive to LG. It will take you about 3hours 45 minutes and is really a fairly easy ride. Rent a small SUV. You leave the airport and take the SD/Samana Highway North as far as it goes, for about 1 hour 15 minutes and then take a right onto highway RT. 5 and follow that all the way through Samana City and on to Las Galeras. It would be handy to have a vehicle to be able to explore the Samana Peninsula. Check out the tourist guide at the top of the Northeast Thread. You can ride horses up to Limon Falls, Zip line out near Playa Valle', Check out Playa Rincon, not far from LG. You'll want to go to Las Terrenas for some great Italian or French Food. If you are adventurous in your travels forget the bus and rent a vehicle. Don't waste time taking buses and trying to make connections. You will be glad you did. Rent at the airport and away you go. Good luck and good travels.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, renting a small suv or car is the way to go. I would advise getting full insurance and take pictures of the entire car before getting in it to leave. Take time to do a very careful inspection of everything and write on your contract any and all nicks, dings and scratches. This goes for the inside as well. Also, check the spare tire and make sure everything is there as they will try to charge you for everything and anything when you return the car. The price you saw of $200 is only a fraction of what you will wind up paying after all fees and insurance are added in. However, to me, not having a car to travel around and see everything would be a big mistake. Don't drive at night as you're not used to the dangers here of cars with no tail lights or head lights, motorcycles with no lights at all or cars blinding you with super bright lights that they don't dim as you approach. Good luck and enjoy this beautiful place. I'll actually be in LG this week and am really looking forward to it.

3. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank again great advice here!! I booked in that location knowing it would be a challenge but kinda wanted something different and I definitely found it. I appreciate all the suggestions of places to check out we have quite a list of places to go thanks. I think the car/SUV route is the way to go also. We have enough time to cover the expenses of it nd it sounds worth it. I will be extremely detailed when fill out the paperwork for the rental. Thanks so much I will be asking more questions later about details of activities and restaurant. Can't wait to see this beautiful landscape!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Miss This Place Las Galeras

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Republic.html

But a word of caution. Do not drive up the mountain. Take a cab or call Pierre and he will pick you up.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you SKY this spot is definitely on the list and yea from what I read its best to cab. Is Perrie the driver for the restaurant? Thanks for the tips

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you SKY this spot is definitely on the list and yea from what I read its best to cab. Is Perrie the driver for the restaurant? Thanks for the tips
    Pierre is the owner.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank again great advice here!! I booked in that location knowing it would be a challenge but kinda wanted something different and I definitely found it. I appreciate all the suggestions of places to check out we have quite a list of places to go thanks. I think the car/SUV route is the way to go also. We have enough time to cover the expenses of it nd it sounds worth it. I will be extremely detailed when fill out the paperwork for the rental. Thanks so much I will be asking more questions later about details of activities and restaurant. Can't wait to see this beautiful landscape!
    Remember to take pictures of the vehicle. If you have an American Express Card check with them to see if they will cover the addtional insurance outside of the US. Just a heads up. Before leaving the airport in SD get a few thouand pesos from the ATM. You will get a good rate. Don't go to an exchange kiosk. They will charge you 10-15%. Call your bank before your trip to let them know you willing be using your card in the DR. If the car is not filled with gas there is a gas station just after you leave the airport. Also you will need pesos for the toll road from SD to El Catey where you exit the highway and turn right onto Rt 5 towards Samana City. It is a little tricky going from the airport to the SD/Samana highway entrance. If you need directions let me know. Once you get on the highway it's a straight shot. Good luck and good travels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12