Santo Domingo to Las Galeras

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
So we land at the airport in Santo Domingo and are trying to get out to LG. Everything I am finding is pretty old info from ferries to guaguas and taxi or buses even renting a car.
So what is the best way to get out there? Just 2 of us any suggestions? Thanks

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
So we land at the airport in Santo Domingo and are trying to get out to LG. Everything I am finding is pretty old info from ferries to guaguas and taxi or buses even renting a car.
So what is the best way to get out there? Just 2 of us any suggestions? Thanks

It would help if you advise the time of arrival to start with, so the options can be explained. Basically taxi (very expensive c $250) or car hire takes about three and a half hours and I would strongly advise against travel after dark.

By bus you go to the Caribe Tours bus station (check site http://www.caribetours.com.do/ ) at the end of the Samana highway and get a bus to Samana and onwards by taxi or guagua. Taxi from airport to Caribe Tours and probably costs $15. you can also pick up regular guaguas to Samana at this location at end of highway.

Last edited:

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply! We land on Jan 7th and stay for 7 days in LG our flights arrive and depart early afternoon time so daylight won't be an issue. So it sounds like the bus is the best bet then? Thanks again for the advice.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks for the quick reply! We land on Jan 7th and stay for 7 days in LG our flights arrive and depart early afternoon time so daylight won't be an issue. So it sounds like the bus is the best bet then? Thanks again for the advice.

If you use the Caribe tours website and the interactive map, you will find that there are 2.30pm and 4.30pm buses to Samana from the Santo Domingo terminus which is about half and hour by taxi from the airport. The interactive map does not show departures from their depot at Las Americas at the end of the highway but I feel sure both buses would stop there say 20 minutes after the above times. I would suggest you contact them. By going to main terminus on 27th Febrero you are heading back along the route the bus will take to Samana. That extra 20 minutes plus taxi time to 27th may be important of your flight gets delayed or the immigration queues are long.

I would add that having driven the Samana highway over thirty times, I have always seen plenty of smaller buses plying the route to Samana and Sanchez (which is on the way in the peninsula to Samana and beyond) and they pick up at the entrance to the highway alongside the Caribe Tours stop.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The OP has not given us the arrival time as early afternoon is open to interpretation.
There is a bus line that plies SD to LG but I don't know the times, so Caribe Tours is the sure thing to get to Samana and then a guagua to LG (many of those guaguas are pick up trucks) for 100 RD I believe.

To the Op for your return trip ask around in LG (End of the Road Caf? is good) and you'll learn about the other bus line.

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
Thanks again for the responses! We land at 1:08 pm and after looking at the Caribe tours bus schedule it has a bus at 12:20pm (4.5 hours 3 transfers) and 4:40pm (17.5 hours with 3 transfers and a night in sabana) we can do either of those so back to the taxi options. Hey ju10prd I see you wrote "expensive c $250" is that US dollars I kind of assume so?*

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks again for the responses! We land at 1:08 pm and after looking at the Caribe tours bus schedule it has a bus at 12:20pm (4.5 hours 3 transfers) and 4:40pm (17.5 hours with 3 transfers and a night in sabana) we can do either of those so back to the taxi options. Hey ju10prd I see you wrote "expensive c $250" is that US dollars I kind of assume so?*

Try this link

http://www.dominicanshuttles.com/ai...olocation=17&gclid=CIiA1v6zuM8CFUFbhgodahkJRA

I think you would be wise to consider a taxi or shuttle for the journey to your hotel and get the bus back so not to ruin the start of your holiday in a new destination (assume you don't know SDQ and area).

My mention of a price for taxi fare was based upon using a taxi from SDQ to Las Terrenas taken on arrival without prior negotiation from SICHALA the authorized airport taxi company. http://ww25.taxisichala.com/ I was charged $200. Drop them a line and ask for a rate.

There are other companies offering transfers on line and other posters may know of some.

By the way, you are not the first person to book a vacation without appreciating this is a quite a large island with variable topography and not perfect roads and transport systems, and so face a challenge getting to your chosen resort.......but you have chosen a nice part of the country and I sincerely hope you enjoy it to the full.

Next ask for advice on the area and things to must do and you should get some good advice on this forum.

Last edited:

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
Thanks again I will look at that one. Also no I don't know SD or LG or anything about DR except what I can read. I really am thankful for the insight. So from what I can also find the car rental price for a week is under $200 so there is that. Have you ever rented a car for the trip? Seems like too good of a price to be real but all the major rental places are very close in price Alamo, Avis, thrift and dollar. Thanks again

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks again I will look at that one. Also no I don't know SD or LG or anything about DR except what I can read. I really am thankful for the insight. So from what I can also find the car rental price for a week is under $200 so there is that. Have you ever rented a car for the trip? Seems like too good of a price to be real but all the major rental places are very close in price Alamo, Avis, thrift and dollar. Thanks again

The insurance more than triples the cost. Advice on using your credit card insurance cover in lieu should be by others since I am not from NA.

The drive to LG is easy. The only complication is finding the entry to the toll road but there is a thread on that. Otherwise a very straight forward drive which is safe daytime for sure.

And a car in LG gives you freedom to see Playa Rincon, visit Samana and Las Terrenas and see Playa La Valle the best beach imo.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/@18.8210093,-69.7717825,146463m/data=!3m1!1e3 route 7 then route 5 easy

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I would rent a car and drive to LG. It will take you about 3hours 45 minutes and is really a fairly easy ride. Rent a small SUV. You leave the airport and take the SD/Samana Highway North as far as it goes, for about 1 hour 15 minutes and then take a right onto highway RT. 5 and follow that all the way through Samana City and on to Las Galeras. It would be handy to have a vehicle to be able to explore the Samana Peninsula. Check out the tourist guide at the top of the Northeast Thread. You can ride horses up to Limon Falls, Zip line out near Playa Valle', Check out Playa Rincon, not far from LG. You'll want to go to Las Terrenas for some great Italian or French Food. If you are adventurous in your travels forget the bus and rent a vehicle. Don't waste time taking buses and trying to make connections. You will be glad you did. Rent at the airport and away you go. Good luck and good travels.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I agree, renting a small suv or car is the way to go. I would advise getting full insurance and take pictures of the entire car before getting in it to leave. Take time to do a very careful inspection of everything and write on your contract any and all nicks, dings and scratches. This goes for the inside as well. Also, check the spare tire and make sure everything is there as they will try to charge you for everything and anything when you return the car. The price you saw of $200 is only a fraction of what you will wind up paying after all fees and insurance are added in. However, to me, not having a car to travel around and see everything would be a big mistake. Don't drive at night as you're not used to the dangers here of cars with no tail lights or head lights, motorcycles with no lights at all or cars blinding you with super bright lights that they don't dim as you approach. Good luck and enjoy this beautiful place. I'll actually be in LG this week and am really looking forward to it.

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
Thank again great advice here!! I booked in that location knowing it would be a challenge but kinda wanted something different and I definitely found it. I appreciate all the suggestions of places to check out we have quite a list of places to go thanks. I think the car/SUV route is the way to go also. We have enough time to cover the expenses of it nd it sounds worth it. I will be extremely detailed when fill out the paperwork for the rental. Thanks so much I will be asking more questions later about details of activities and restaurant. Can't wait to see this beautiful landscape!

Plastichucker

Sep 30, 2016
Thank you SKY this spot is definitely on the list and yea from what I read its best to cab. Is Perrie the driver for the restaurant? Thanks for the tips

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thank again great advice here!! I booked in that location knowing it would be a challenge but kinda wanted something different and I definitely found it. I appreciate all the suggestions of places to check out we have quite a list of places to go thanks. I think the car/SUV route is the way to go also. We have enough time to cover the expenses of it nd it sounds worth it. I will be extremely detailed when fill out the paperwork for the rental. Thanks so much I will be asking more questions later about details of activities and restaurant. Can't wait to see this beautiful landscape!

Remember to take pictures of the vehicle. If you have an American Express Card check with them to see if they will cover the addtional insurance outside of the US. Just a heads up. Before leaving the airport in SD get a few thouand pesos from the ATM. You will get a good rate. Don't go to an exchange kiosk. They will charge you 10-15%. Call your bank before your trip to let them know you willing be using your card in the DR. If the car is not filled with gas there is a gas station just after you leave the airport. Also you will need pesos for the toll road from SD to El Catey where you exit the highway and turn right onto Rt 5 towards Samana City. It is a little tricky going from the airport to the SD/Samana highway entrance. If you need directions let me know. Once you get on the highway it's a straight shot. Good luck and good travels.