In Santiago, from NYC until Oct. 19, 2016

Anna Lowell

Oct 1, 2016
Hi all! I'm a family doctor resident staying in Santiago until 10/19..looking to explore surrounding areas - beach, mountains, ecotours, museums etc on my days off if any recommendations or better yet if any travel buddies around! Safe travels -Anna

---
Saludos! Soy una doctora de medicina familiar de Nueva York y estoy trabajando en Santiago hasta el 19 de octubre. Me encantar?a explorar las zonas por aqu? si tiene recomendaciones. Gracias! -Ana

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Welcome to Santiago Anna!

You are centrally located to easily visit the mountains and beaches. Jarabacoa is close enough for a day trip, Constanza (both mountain cities) at least an overnight if you want to see it.
The north coast beaches are not far away, Sosua my favorite but Cabarete is worth the extra 20 minutes.

Have a great time and try and see as much as you can.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
From Santiago it's a couple hours ride to the Samana Peninsula. Take a weekend and go to either Las Galeras or Las Terrenas. Both have some of the best beaches in the country. Check out the tourist guide at the top of the Northeast thread. You can horseback ride up to Limon Falls, zip line near Playa Valle' (the other side of Samana City), or go to Playa Rincon, a beautiful beach that looks more out of Hawaii than the Caribbean. Good luck and good travels.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Also check out nearby Bonao -- visit the Santos de Palo store on the highway, the Cristian Tiburcio and Candido cultural centers in town and the Saltos de Jima and Blanco ecotouristic areas. Good food at Tipico Bonao, Miguelina (sweets), and Papolo (good Dominican breakfast).*

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So, the illegal practice of medicine....

so frequent it is not news. (tongue in cheek)

I wonder where you are working.

There are not many places you can go easily, but there are some that you should enjoy.

Go up to Camp David, it is easy to reach. Cheapest way is Uber.

It costs 120 pesos to take a Javilla Tour bus to Puerto Plata. You can call Leonel Reyes, a multi-lingual driver @809 630 5885 and see the cable car, the Ambar Museum and the Victorian Italian ice cream place on the park.

Another option is to spend a day at Punta Rucia..it is a hike but interesting....

If you want, get in touch with me and I can take you to El Castillo, at La Isabella, the first European settlement in the New World. A small park, some walking, some pictures. We can take in a chocolate coop on the way...Leaving Santiago with my students and my wife (also an MD) on Oct 15....

Stay healthy...Family med is a new field here and not very well understood... Hope you have a great stay.

HB