Are the crimes in north coast increasing ?

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Hi! I was just reading some on-line news and I was surprised in how many foreigners was killed in 2016 in areas of the North Coast. For example one Italian guy lost his life* in LT in September, a couple in Cabrera in May , and more others.* To me it appears that these people lost their life for little money.... and this is really sad. I know that in DR there is a huge problem with the poverty. Many people suggest to keep a low profile when visiting or living in DR, what is your opinion on this?* What do you think you guys expat there? There is an icreasing of criminality? Thanks everybody.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I've noticed an uptick across the Caribbean and Latin America. The crimes against foreigners hit the head lines, but there is always ongoing horrific petty violence. (For example, a neighbor dispute degenerates into a machete attack with a woman ending up in the hospital with a long gash across her neck and chest. Attacker gets 2 years in jail. Happened right here in Puerto Plata and such drama is a routine occurrence).

My personal theory is that the uptick in violence is to due to a more relaxed role of militaries in countries which are moving toward more liberal forms of democracy. The worst offenders in the past would be hunted down and shot like rabbits, but now the civil police need to pick up the slack and are not yet as efficient. When I first came to the DR 5+ years ago, the military was very active and I found myself often in checkpoints and such. (Some shaking me down for cash). Now, I see them, but their role is much more relaxed.

As for protecting yourself, it depends. If you're a tourist gringo that speaks only a few words of spanish, I'd stick to the tourist areas and only travel elsewhere with a spanish speaking friend/guide. Couple ideas:

* If you get robbed, give up your possessions and don't fight back.
* Don't bring anything that you're not willing to lose. I family heirloom that you're not willing to part with can get you killed.
* Don't wear bling. If you're with somebody or a group, don't let them wear bling; confront them and talk about safety.
* When out in public, keep your mobile/cell phone in your pocket. Don't use it on the street.
* Hire a trusted taxi to travel (from your hotel).
* Don't have set patterns such as walking to the beach every night at 5:30 on the same path; switch up your times and routes.
* Don't tell people you get paid on the 15th so they know when you have money (especially pensioners).
* Don't trust someone presenting himself as a guide or 'friend'; somehow/someway he's scamming you. They can be useful, but it's better to just pay them upfront for their services rather then having them making side deals everywhere you go (padding your restaurant/bar bills, lining up chikas with a 20% finders fee, etc. ) Just know that you're paying them and they see you as a mark. Same applies to Taxi drivers taking you to specific stores, etc.
* Buy clothes with zippered pockets for money, phones, etc.
* Use your hotel safe especially if you're bringing guests into your room.
* Don't wear sunglasses and look people in the eye. Don't act like a scared rabbit ready to bolt as it brings out the predator instinct in thieves. Hats are fine. (I still wear sunglasses whenever possible, but not when walking down a urban street. You'll notice the locals rarely wear sun glasses.)
* Counter surveillance - check for people following you. When turning a corner, look behind you for anybody trailing you. If you think you are, go to a bank, store, etc or anywhere with people. Take a taxi from there (call your hotel if nobody speaks English to help you out). Once the perp has "been made" they usually back off. I once had a large gang trailing me through Mexico City, and they backed off when I stared them down. Of course, I was next to a police officer in full riot gear. Next day, I had a car and driver setup by the hotel. Bummer because I like walking the streets, seeing and meeting people.
* Travel in groups or friends. Lone wolves are easier to corner. At least, do this until you get use to the culture and area.

Most of these are common sense if you think about it, but it takes practice to make them a habit.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about my personal safety in many North American urban cities. Chicago has had 7100 murders in the last 15 years. It's a small war zone onto itself, and that's not even the worst of worst. I lived in Jacksonville Florida which had an alarming violence and murder rate. On and on.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Crime against people and property is endemic in the DR as are some mosquito born diseases. Generally speaking, crime is not up significantly here as it ebbs and flows like the tides. Just like at home, everyday someone is robbed or broken into, someone assaulted or injured.

The high profile crimes make the mainstream news, the majority do not. If there are several reports in the news over a given period of time, some may make the connection that crime is on the rise but this may just be coincidental.

Everyone here needs to be aware of their surroundings and the situations they place themselves in. Stumbling around in public inebriated may not be a good idea. Doing so after dark could be worse. Doing things or wearing things that draw attention to yourself while out and about is something we all have to think about. One has to remember, something that you do not see as being particularly valuable, such as jewelry or a sports jersey may be viewed differently by someone who can't afford those items.

Organized trips for tourists are not usually targets of crime, but occasionally they are. Most people don't lose stuff from their hotel rooms, but occasionally some do. Stuff doesn't normally go missing from your luggage on arrival or departure at the airports, but sometimes it happens.

Those who want the best chance of avoiding grief should stay on a resort and venture out onto the local economy on organized and supervised excursions. Those who prefer the "real" Dominican experience are on their own and their decisions greatly influence just how "real" the experience can be.

The DR is a third world country. It should come as no surprise to anyone who is realistic, that this country experiences third world problems daily. Crime is no different here than at home. If you present a tempting target or put yourself into a compromised circumstance, you can expect some low-life to rise to the invitation eventually.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Wow what a read.... so that being said, is crime up or down in the north coast?

Aug 21, 2007
If you venture out, speak Spanish. Be culturally astute. Fit in with Dominicans. Don't do something you wouldn't do in your own country. Don't associate with types of people you would not associate with in your home country. Don't go to the types of places you wouldn't go to in your own country. Be respectful. Don't be loud. Don't make comparisons of your culture and this one which imply that your culture is superior. Don't make fun of those in this culture who may not be a wealthy or as educated as you are. Be kind, but not condescending.

I don't believe crime is on the uptake. I remember 11 years ago when I first moved here going to sleep each night to the sounds of gunshots. I cannot remember when I last heard a gunshot. I no longer hear all the wild stories on the street of robberies, retaliations, and scams. I don't see police shake-ups like I used to. I don't see police on the street beating suspects like I used to. Maybe the crime level is the same, but it is no longer in your face.

I have some dangling prepositions here, but I think you get the idea.

Lindsey

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Wow what a read.... so that being said, is crime up or down in the north coast?

Yikes..........War and freaken Peace over there! Are there any stats that give numbers to crime committed over the years?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
According to my Dominican family - crime related to drugs are up. Robberies, Attacks, Gangwarfare is up and corruption of*Police and Military is up. Mostly affects Dominicans but sometimes a non-national is affected.*

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Honestly, I'm more concerned about my personal safety in many North American urban cities. Chicago has had 7100 murders in the last 15 years. It's a small war zone onto itself, and that's not even the worst of worst. I lived in Jacksonville Florida which had an alarming violence and murder rate. On and on.

100% agreed. I grew up in Arlington area of Jacksonville, moved to New Orleans
shortly after high school. Not sure what the statistics say but living down here feels
a heck of a lot safer than North American cities.

I?ve noticed there seems to be a lot of people who move down here who come from
less violent parts of the world and are not used to having to deal with violent crime
on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis like I had to deal with in the states.
I think you give some very good advice. In general, common sense is a must when
traveling/ living in 3rd world countries.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In many cases the crime isn't random.

May take a while for the truth to come out, but it will

And that truth is seldom reported like the crime is

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi! I was just reading some on-line news and I was surprised in how many foreigners was killed in 2016 in areas of the North Coast. For example one Italian guy lost his life* in LT in September, a couple in Cabrera in May , and more others.* To me it appears that these people lost their life for little money.... and this is really sad. I know that in DR there is a huge problem with the poverty. Many people suggest to keep a low profile when visiting or living in DR, what is your opinion on this?* What do you think you guys expat there? There is an icreasing of criminality? Thanks everybody.

Many hang with the wrong locals or don't live in a secure environment. The are many European ex-pats on the North and Northeast coasts. Some are just living on the edge.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I've noticed an uptick across the Caribbean and Latin America. The crimes against foreigners hit the head lines, but there is always ongoing horrific petty violence. (For example, a neighbor dispute degenerates into a machete attack with a woman ending up in the hospital with a long gash across her neck and chest. Attacker gets 2 years in jail. Happened right here in Puerto Plata and such drama is a routine occurrence).

My personal theory is that the uptick in violence is to due to a more relaxed role of militaries in countries which are moving toward more liberal forms of democracy. The worst offenders in the past would be hunted down and shot like rabbits, but now the civil police need to pick up the slack and are not yet as efficient. When I first came to the DR 5+ years ago, the military was very active and I found myself often in checkpoints and such. (Some shaking me down for cash). Now, I see them, but their role is much more relaxed.

As for protecting yourself, it depends. If you're a tourist gringo that speaks only a few words of spanish, I'd stick to the tourist areas and only travel elsewhere with a spanish speaking friend/guide. Couple ideas:

* If you get robbed, give up your possessions and don't fight back.
* Don't bring anything that you're not willing to lose. I family heirloom that you're not willing to part with can get you killed.
* Don't wear bling. If you're with somebody or a group, don't let them wear bling; confront them and talk about safety.
* When out in public, keep your mobile/cell phone in your pocket. Don't use it on the street.
* Hire a trusted taxi to travel (from your hotel).
* Don't have set patterns such as walking to the beach every night at 5:30 on the same path; switch up your times and routes.
* Don't tell people you get paid on the 15th so they know when you have money (especially pensioners).
* Don't trust someone presenting himself as a guide or 'friend'; somehow/someway he's scamming you. They can be useful, but it's better to just pay them upfront for their services rather then having them making side deals everywhere you go (padding your restaurant/bar bills, lining up chikas with a 20% finders fee, etc. ) Just know that you're paying them and they see you as a mark. Same applies to Taxi drivers taking you to specific stores, etc.
* Buy clothes with zippered pockets for money, phones, etc.
* Use your hotel safe especially if you're bringing guests into your room.
* Don't wear sunglasses and look people in the eye. Don't act like a scared rabbit ready to bolt as it brings out the predator instinct in thieves. Hats are fine. (I still wear sunglasses whenever possible, but not when walking down a urban street. You'll notice the locals rarely wear sun glasses.)
* Counter surveillance - check for people following you. When turning a corner, look behind you for anybody trailing you. If you think you are, go to a bank, store, etc or anywhere with people. Take a taxi from there (call your hotel if nobody speaks English to help you out). Once the perp has "been made" they usually back off. I once had a large gang trailing me through Mexico City, and they backed off when I stared them down. Of course, I was next to a police officer in full riot gear. Next day, I had a car and driver setup by the hotel. Bummer because I like walking the streets, seeing and meeting people.
* Travel in groups or friends. Lone wolves are easier to corner. At least, do this until you get use to the culture and area.

Most of these are common sense if you think about it, but it takes practice to make them a habit.

Great post.

One more.

Never leave your drink out of your site.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
One other thing. If you go out. Take only the cash you will need for the night. Either leave you wallet in a locked vehicle or at home. If you do run into problems there won't be much to take. Also leave your jewerly home. If possible buddy up.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
According to my Dominican family - crime related to drugs are up. Robberies, Attacks, Gangwarfare is up and corruption of*Police and Military is up. Mostly affects Dominicans but sometimes a non-national is affected.*

I also hear from Dominicans that the root causes of violent crime has a lot to do with drugs. And add to that crimes within the family. Much less so to do with poverty........that accounts for the lesser and petty crimes which are robbery related.

As LTSteve has written below, many expats live on the fringe mixing with persons who are often the more undesirable characters in Dominican society who have migrated to where they see the opportunity to make a quick buck off the more unsuspecting visitors.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I also hear from Dominicans that the root causes of violent crime has a lot to do with drugs. And add to that crimes within the family. Much less so to do with poverty........that accounts for the lesser and petty crimes which are robbery related.

As LTSteve has written below, many expats live on the fringe mixing with persons who are often the more undesirable characters in Dominican society who have migrated to where they see the opportunity to make a quick buck off the more unsuspecting visitors.

There is also definitely a sort of Dominican vigilante justice which is meted out to chronic a-holes. If you qualify, be(a)ware.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Crime is no different here than at home. If you present a tempting target or put yourself into a compromised circumstance, you can expect some low-life to rise to the invitation eventually.
I respectfully disagree. Back home we don't lock ourselves in a home with bars on every window,heck we don't EVER lock our doors. I walk wherever I want with my $700. Iphone without concern etc. That said,I do love living here in the DR but not because it is safe,it isn't.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I respectfully disagree. Back home we don't lock ourselves in a home with bars on every window,heck we don't EVER lock our doors. I walk wherever I want with my $700. Iphone without concern etc. That said,I do love living here in the DR but not because it is safe,it isn't.

Guess that depends on where back home is. I was recently in NYC, and several other cities in the surrounding area- bars on all the windows in most areas. Then I was in Spain, France, and Italy- the same- bars on all the lower levels. Where I come from in Canada many people only lock their doors at night and only the liquor store has bars on the windows.
Here in the DR I have known thieves living behind me. Everyone knows the one uncle and grown sons are thieves. Often when there is a break-in the cops come by, take them away and give them a beating even if they are not guilty. I'm not overly concerned in my neighbourhood or most of the area where I live. Lots of good people living here and all the teenagers, young adults that are tigres are well-known and everybody keeps an eye on them.

Last edited:

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
100% agreed. I grew up in Arlington area of Jacksonville, moved to New Orleans
shortly after high school. Not sure what the statistics say but living down here feels
a heck of a lot safer than North American cities.

It just dawned on me that we were in the same area. My girlfriend lived in Arlington and for awhile, it was an urban warzone. I'd get gas, and there was an outline a body draped over the pump island. Next day, they'd add one draped over the curb and another on the sidewalk. It was like graffiti artists were active, but it was definitely the police cleaning up the mess.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Here in the DR I have known thieves living behind me. Everyone knows the one uncle and grown sons are thieves. Often when there is a break-in the cops come by, take them away and give them a beating even if they are not guilty.

I love the story. You have to love the Dominican justice system. It seems unlikely, but somehow it works.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
For me, the most dangerous thing you can do in the DR is to drive.