Scotia Bank vs. Banco Santa Cruz

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
We will be closing our accounts with Banco Popular in Las Terrenas due to the teller theft we experienced several months ago. (previously posted in this forum)

We plan on opening a new account at Scotia Bank or Banco Santa Cruz, both located in LT. Does anyone have actual first-hand experience with either banking institution?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I banked with Santa Cruz in Sosua. Based on my experience, I would say go anywhere BUT.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I've had a long relationship with Santa Cruz and I've got to say they're outstanding in all respects.
I also deal with Scotia bank both here and in Canada, never had an issue.
With any bank introduce yourself to the manager and treat them with respect.
Give respect receive respect.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
BSC is the most unprofessional bank DR has, in my opinion. Recently closed my personal and business accounts there.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have both. Santa Cruz is much better IMHO.

Feb 7, 2007
I know BSC and have had good relationship with them, Scotiabank is also good and professional but to my liking very expensive (do they still charge for transfers between own accounts using Internet banking???)

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I have B.S.C. and I am very happy there for 8 years now. I had an experience similar to your but the opposite happened. I made a large deposit of new hundreds, I was talking to a friend , and didn't realize I was shorted $100. on a transaction. The teller closed her drawer , called a supervisor and counted down her bank. I was given my #100. I wasn't even out the door before all this happened.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Been using Scotiabank in Punta Cana for over 5 years and so far happy with the service. The customer service girls and the cashier supervisor have been there for years and are very pleasant and helpful. Several months ago Scotia finally got connected via ACH to the other banks on the network so now much easier to do transfers (used to have to fill out a form). Still a few banks that aren't on it but the main ones are.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've had a long relationship with Santa Cruz and I've got to say they're outstanding in all respects.
I also deal with Scotia bank both here and in Canada, never had an issue.

With any bank introduce yourself to the manager and treat them with respect.
Give respect receive respect.

Word.

Probably one of the most important things one can do when dealing with banks.

I consider it an absolute necessity.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
the service at the teller SUCKS at least in sosua, they take at least 10 minutes for a simple money exchange and they have 10 guys standing behind the teller, with only one window open, no matter how many people are in line , the manager sits 2 meter away from it in his glass box and doesn't care at all.

its like they are doing you a favor for bringing your money there, pure Dominican mentality, there always having a blast behind the teller, the manager seems to set no rules or discipline to his employees and is definitely NOT costumer service oriented / doesn't know what that means, or simply doesn't care.

the entrance to the parking lot is also as ****ty as it can be.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
the service at the teller SUCKS at least in sosua, they take at least 10 minutes for a simple money exchange and they have 10 guys standing behind the teller, with only one window open, no matter how many people are in line , the manager sits 2 meter away from it in his glass box and doesn't care at all.

its like they are doing you a favor for bringing your money there, pure Dominican mentality, there always having a blast behind the teller, the manager seems to set no rules or discipline to his employees and is definitely NOT costumer service oriented / doesn't know what that means, or simply doesn't care.

the entrance to the parking lot is also as ****ty as it can be.

In a nutshell that just described most customer service businesses here. Nobody here wants to be poor, yet nobody wants to do any work either. Its mind boggling the stupidity that goes from top to bottom

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I had an account with Scotia in Sosua some years back. I cancelled it in one month. I don't have the time or patience to go into the incompetence and arrogance I encountered there.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Scotia Bank vs Banco Santa Cruz survey results so far:

Scotia Bank - FOR: 5
Banco Santa Cruz - FOR: 4

- we are leaning towards Scotia Bank since we feel there will be less foot "traffic" .... Banco Popular in Las Terrenas had long waiting lines over and above the grand theft we encountered with the bank teller. (The Branch Manager of the bank even saw the CCTV footage together with us and refused to acknowledge the theft.)

Last edited:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Location is a factor in Las Terrenas. No parking problems at Scotiabank with additional supermarket spaces at back. One normally can find a space in front of Banco Santa Cruz too. I recall there was a limit of 8k on ATM withdrawals at BSC in LT against the 20k from Scotiabank daily.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Guys, just some days after posting here how happy I was about Banco Santa Cruz, I am finding out today they started to charge 5US$ for each local transfer from my dollar account to my pesos account. It started on August 26.
I will visit them tomorrow to figure out what's going on.
Does any of you experiment something similar?

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Profile: Lives in the US but bought a place in Cabarete.

Setup an appointment at the Scotia Bank branch of Cabarete by sending an email at drinfo@scotiabank.com
In same email ,asked about what was requested to open an account and asked that the appointment will be with somebody speaking english : Got a detail answer in 24 hours .

Couple of weeks later: Flew to DR and opened the account in 1 hour at the Cabarete Branch. People are nice and helpful.
Met the manager .Helpful as well.

Basically ,happy customer. No experience with other DR banks.

Opened an account at Scotia Bank in Cabarete in 1 hour.
Took the appointment by sending an email to