Blackouts in Gazcue

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There was another all night black out at my place in Gazcue. I have learned now to switch off the master switch to the TV so that when and if the power comes back on it does not wake me up. Usually the fan or the AC coming on is enough to do that.. or perhaps the overhead light.. but last night.. nope.. all night black out,

Gazcue was known as the circuit on the same grid as the National Palace and sold by realtors as the area that never has blackouts. A good Dominican friend tells me that there is an old expression saying "that could happen even in Gazcue". When I travel back to the US and meet Dominicans there. as I always do, and they ask where I live and I say Gazcue..they always.. well.. "muy rica".. which was then.. this is now..

So.. should any folks be looking at apartment rentals.. here in Gazcue;. because this area is full of them -- particularly the furnished apartments.. do not fall for the line that there is 24/7 power in Gazcue

There WAS 24/7 power in Gazcue. For the last 3 years there are blackouts 3 or 4 times a week which can last up to 12 hours. Don't take the apartment unless they put in an inverter.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.................. Don't take the apartment unless they put in an inverter.

Better yet,,,,,,,,,,,,, don't take the apartment unless there is a full planta. I had two apartments in Gazcue and both buildings had a full planta. Power company went out, twenty seconds later the planta was running and I had power. As a added feature I had a UPS connected to my TV and router so regardless of how often the power went out the TV and router never missed a beat.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is beyond the time where the government should be out of the power business. And the water business.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
If you really want to be sure make sure there is a planta HOWEVER, I once rented an apartment in Gazcue on Ave Bolivar and upon looking at it asked if they had a planta, I was told yes it had a planta. My mistake was that I didn't ask if the planta actually worked. Most of the time it did not work.
I NEVER trust anyone that says "the light never goes out here".
Having said that, the electricity is worlds better than it was when I moved here 10 years ago.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
when I was first looking for apts here there was only one in the hood with a planta -- and it was $1300 a month which was way beyond what i was willing to pay.. still is..

so -- I guess one gets what one pays for..

some of the condo owners in this building from way back have inverters.. but landlords in rentals here do the absolute minimum.. and most folks coming from the US are in shock over that - because we are used to a different standard

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
It is beyond the time where the government should be out of the power business. And the water business.

you may think that but the folks in Las Terrenas went on a huge strike to get the power out of private hands and back onto the public grid..so.. dunno.. Privitization of the WATER.. via say.. NESTLE.. who thinks that we do not have a RIGHT to water..?? caused huge riots in Boliva .. and Poland Spings.. etc etc.. etc.. so.. really.. that may really be the last line,. privatize the water// they say that will be the next War.. the War over the Water supply.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
no,, winde.. not going to take the thread off topic.. just backing up my mentions.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochabamba_Water_War https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_Spring

both Dasani and Aquafina are just filtered tap water-- so do they pay their fair share back to the municipalities for selling it?

although I loathe the Nestle Corp from the bottom of my heart for what they did in Africa with the baby milk formula and hope that there are souls burning in the inner circles of Dantes Inferno (kiddin. do not believe in hell) for it..

to be fair

Nestle has been misquoted on this subject
http://www.nestle.com/ask-nestle/hu...beck-letmathe-believes-water-is-a-human-right

now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...ed-tourism-asLasTerrenasenergy-crisis-festers

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Speaking of Water... Tourists and others can save a great deal of $$$ by asking for "aqua de la casa" which will produce.. in most cases, the water from the 5 gallon jug of purified water in the kitchen. Depending on the price point.. most places will give water for free.. They will automatically assume that a gringo wants the bottled water -- and also the $150 peso charge for it..
But if you ask for it.. the more local places will have it and give it to you.. Otherwise, you may as well ask for Pelligrino.. which is the champagne of mineral waters..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
you may think that but the folks in Las Terrenas went on a huge strike to get the power out of private hands and back onto the public grid..so.. dunno.. Privitization of the WATER.. via say.. NESTLE.. who thinks that we do not have a RIGHT to water..?? caused huge riots in Boliva .. and Poland Spings.. etc etc.. etc.. so.. really.. that may really be the last line,. privatize the water// they say that will be the next War.. the War over the Water supply.

Now Las Terrenas is back to blackouts. The government solution does not work. They just did not want to pay what it took to get 24/7 power so they go backwards a step. Such is the way it is when people feel entitled to something.

Competition must also be allowed, not just a monopoly.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Electricity in Las Terrenas was as good as and no better than the so called 24/7 circuits in Santo Domingo but at three times the price. Pity Gazcue has deteriorated but the supplier makes cuts when a majority dont pay on time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Electricity in Las Terrenas was as good as and no better than the so called 24/7 circuits in Santo Domingo but at three times the price. Pity Gazcue has deteriorated but the supplier makes cuts when a majority dont pay on time.

Correct. The Ede's have a rating system from A to D based upon how much power is stolen. They use it to set the amount of time a given circuit is on. Makes no sense at all.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
ah.. so us Gazwegans have not been paying our bills? which seems odd since they cut off the power completely within 3 days of one's not paying one's bill..

perhaps lots of folks starting to steal? Who knows?

NYC has Con Ed which is private but a monopoly with gov;t oversight.. that works pretty well http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/opinion/nyregionopinions/30CIgelinas.html?_r=0

don't know of many places that have 2 competing power companies in one grid

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ah.. so us Gazwegans have not been paying our bills? which seems odd since they cut off the power completely within 3 days of one's not paying one's bill..

perhaps lots of folks starting to steal? Who knows?

NYC has Con Ed which is private but a monopoly with gov;t oversight.. that works pretty well http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/opinion/nyregionopinions/30CIgelinas.html?_r=0

don't know of many places that have 2 competing power companies in one grid

You can log into the EDE site and see what class circuit you are on based upon how much power is paid for. There is no competition because the government is the distributor of the power. It is both a monopoly and a government operation, the worst possible situation.

bloody67

Jan 16, 2011
Obviously none of you fellas know what your talking about.

Fact 1. Gazcue has the highest pay rate to the Edes rating , 99,7% , its listed on the Electric bill for those that live here in Gazcue. Get that 99.7% pay rate ....that means only .3% are behind or late... #1 rated in Rep Dominicana

Fact 2. Lights can go out in this country no matter where you live on average 6 to 12 hrs a week in Gazcue , has nothing to do with the bills defaults and theft like in the lower class barrios.. its a lack of ability to supply a city in desperate need of a greater load accepting energy grid.

Fact 3. GAZCUE has the highest cost of land per sq metre in the Santo Domingo, far higher than Naco, Piantini, El Vergil, etc
I bought my house here 9 years ago for $179,000 yes 179K ... todays value for my sq metres and land size in gazcue apppraises at $940,000.00 ( yes almost 1 million ) , similiar properties if you can find one for sale in Piantini , Naco sell for less , around the 600k mark ....I cant speak for renters , if you cant afford to live here then go to the barrios where u can live with half day daily interruptions of electrical supply or just steal it , and pay 4 to 8 pesos and reside like a cocker roach. Gazcue is still the most sought after residential area in Santo Domingo by people with wealth for homes and for business professionals and has the highest and fast sell rate in the city.

Now you know ,,,,, get it right , thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know nothing about Gazcue, but when it comes to Edenorte, I know a little 'bout it. You confirmed my point since even the best area in the entire country, with the highest payment rate, still suffers with power outages because of the way the government handles the power distribution and allows others to steal power. Instead of arresting those that steal the power, it "punishes" them by providing less. It also punishes everyone else who does pay that is on the same circuit. This is something that makes no sense at all and everyone suffers because of it, even your A number 1 circuit. Why do you think they cannot supply more power? It is indeed because people steal power and you confirmed that does affect you even in Gazcue.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Odd that a sector with such high land values would still have holes in the sidewalks open to the sewers.. Right there.. across from the PLD .. in front of Tribunal.. and then across from the Catholic Church,, where the trash piles up and the beggar ladies sit.. or on the side of the Episcopal Church where the trash piles up..

But that is in La Primavera.. which is perhaps not the part of Gazcue of which you speak..

I dunno.. I certainly could not see those land values around my area.

But I am glad you are happy in yours.

And I hope it means that someone will finally buy some of the old precious jewels that have been languishing on the market for the last 10 years around La Cadena.. they are architectural gems..

If I had an extra million or so, I would buy one.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I know nothing about Gazcue, but when it comes to Edenorte, I know a little 'bout it. You confirmed my point since even the best area in the entire country, with the highest payment rate, still suffers with power outages because of the way the government handles the power distribution and allows others to steal power. Instead of arresting those that steal the power, it "punishes" them by providing less. It also punishes everyone else who does pay that is on the same circuit. This is something that makes no sense at all and everyone suffers because of it, even your A number 1 circuit. Why do you think they cannot supply more power? It is indeed because people steal power and you confirmed that does affect you even in Gazcue.

Good information. Just checked my circuit in DN on the www.circuitos.gob.do and we have an A rating and we are not suffering the type of cuts the OP has written about, and indeed get very few cuts especially of more than five minutes and even during the passing of Matthew.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Obviously none of you fellas know what your talking about.

Fact 1. Gazcue has the highest pay rate to the Edes rating , 99,7% , its listed on the Electric bill for those that live here in Gazcue. Get that 99.7% pay rate ....that means only .3% are behind or late... #1 rated in Rep Dominicana

Fact 2. Lights can go out in this country no matter where you live on average 6 to 12 hrs a week in Gazcue , has nothing to do with the bills defaults and theft like in the lower class barrios.. its a lack of ability to supply a city in desperate need of a greater load accepting energy grid.

Fact 3. GAZCUE has the highest cost of land per sq metre in the Santo Domingo, far higher than Naco, Piantini, El Vergil, etc
I bought my house here 9 years ago for $179,000 yes 179K ... todays value for my sq metres and land size in gazcue apppraises at $940,000.00 ( yes almost 1 million ) , similiar properties if you can find one for sale in Piantini , Naco sell for less , around the 600k mark ....I cant speak for renters , if you cant afford to live here then go to the barrios where u can live with half day daily interruptions of electrical supply or just steal it , and pay 4 to 8 pesos and reside like a cocker roach. Gazcue is still the most sought after residential area in Santo Domingo by people with wealth for homes and for business professionals and has the highest and fast sell rate in the city.

Now you know ,,,,, get it right , thanks

What a joke. Piantini m2 price is about 150% of Gazcue. Even ?reas more on the boarder of DN (for example Las Praderas) have higher m2 prices. Gazcue used to be exclusive decades ago.

On another note, in my sector maybe 1 blackout each two weeks of no more than 1 hour. Weird that we have less black outs than the exclusive sector for wealthy house owners that all pay their bills.*

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Good information. Just checked my circuit in DN on the www.circuitos.gob.do and we have an A rating and we are not suffering the type of cuts the OP has written about, and indeed get very few cuts especially of more than five minutes and even during the passing of Matthew.

Same here, I live in a normal middle class neigborhood, nothing exclusive or expensive and hardly any blackouts. Something must be wrong in Gazcue....:rolleyes: