Survey: Was or was not a good choice to relocate in las terrenas ?

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Hi! How many of you guys expats in Las Terrenas would repeat the same choice of life moving in DR? Any regrets on your choice? Any regrets in the place where you are living? Never thought that the your choice was wrong because You find out that the place is Dangerous :surprised? Or have other reasons made you think so? Different Culture, Language problems, more Expensive that expected, Homesickness or?.
Have a great weekend!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have only seen a couple of people on DR1 post about LT. So your sample size will be small on that question.*

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For an unbiased opinion, ask LTSteve

He was the mayor for w while , as I recall.

hahaha, just a joke Steve.... just funnin' ya

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Overall, I would rate living in LT as one of the better places in the DR. Positive factors are a large ex-pat population, services available in LT that you won't find in other parts of the country, beautiful beaches, multi-lingual population, large business district and generally good power and internet and major airport 30 minutes away. I lived in a gated condo complex on an upper floor and never had any problems with security, however just like any other community there is some crime but overall I really never felt threaten while living there. If you speak, Spanish, French, Italian, German, English or a combination thereof you will do well in LT. I am a beach lover. For most of the Winter you can find uncrowded beaches and plant your chair under a palm tree and relax. No vendors bothering you, no loud music blaring. It can get a little busier on weekends and holidays but still not bad. There is a large choice of restaurants and bars however prices on some are above average in both price and quality. I would say the cost of living in LT, if you want to comforts of home, is above the average that you will find in the DR. Occaissional there are people burning garbage, etc and depending on the prevailing winds the air quality could be effected. If the gov follows through on additional money invested into LT and the Samana Peninsula this can only ad to the quality of life. I no longer live in LT. That was due to a change in plans and not anything to do with LT itself. Good luck and good travels.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good summary LT..... accurate from my viewpoint - as frequent day visitor.

ju10 can add to it, I'm sure.

As I have said before, my favorite LT piece of trivia is Jean Claude Killy's involvement.
I mentioned his name once in a 'younger' crowd and they were perplexed.........
Who's he???

I was dumbfounded.......... Look him up, I said.

Makes Alberto Tomba look like a baby.......

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
What Steve says seems about right.
I live just outside town, not in a complex.

Been here for over a year now.

No regrets.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I lived in LT for about 2 years. It was interestiing. Beaches are fabulous. Restaurants are good. Now it is a lot more built up than when I was there - the streets are actually paved - for instance- and it only takes 2 hrs to get to the Capital - instead of 5. There is an interesing mix of foreigners who.. to my surprise- do not mix with one another much - the French are with the French, Italians with the Italians.. but - once you meet Katya the Bulgarian she will sort it out for you. There are a lot of folks in thlier 40' and 50's living large with no visible means of support, plenty of folks most likely wanted by Interpol, there was at least on Corscian terrorist when I was there but perhaps he has moved on. Lots of perhaps.. second sons of wealthy families being paid to stay away.. a vibrant and interesting Haitian community,, a delightful and open hearted Dominican community along with the usual suspects of corrupt politicians.. It is a great place to learn Spanish and French and if you do not take advantage of both those things you will really have missed the boat.. I moved to the Capital after two years because when it rains there is absolutely nothing whatsoever to do.