Metro Line 2 - expansion

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I might have missed it but is the expansion to Metro Line 2 in operation.

I wanted to post this in the Pichardo thread on the Metro but I guess DR1 search function does not like to help me.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Since Danilo knew he would win the elections long before May 2016 he wasn't in a hurry.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I recall the loan to purchase the rolling stock was only approved a month (or months) or so back.

Definitely need the additional cars before they open the extension. As it is now it can be a madhouse during rush hour (which seems to be most of the day).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It has now been a year? since the expansion of Line 2 was scheduled to open. What happened? It would be great to see this phase of the Metro project complete but I question how the Metro will handle additional ridership.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
and you simpletons continue voting these neer'do wells back into office. Got no sympathy for ya.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Danilo is what happened.

This makes no sense at all. That project must have been close to 90% complete last year and nothing??????

Any word or the teleferico or overhead cable cars whatever they call them?

Time for the SD este residents to burn some tires if you ask me............ oh well, no one asked me so it will be the usual shrug their shoulders when asked what's going on.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
and you simpletons continue voting these neer'do wells back into office. Got no sympathy for ya.

Who exactly are the simpletons here? I highly doubt that DR1 members were responsible for the results of the last several RD presidential elections.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
ju10prd and others are correct ..the French are providing the new rolling stock and they have not arrived . I thought political comment was not permitted here but NAL seems to disagree . If we can completely disregard the petty politics of some . and look at the twin problems of ,firstly,solving the transport crisis of the ever growing Santo Domingo population and the other problem of behaving responsibly with overseas borrowings ,it is quite easy to see that there are constant pressures to reduce the countries debt whilst at the same time there are daily pressures to extend the metro line 2 ,especially to the east . It is quite amazing to see all the new housing that is extending almost all the way to the airport peaje . On top of all that there are always other budget pressures
So ,it is essential that this expensive project is concluded in a responsible financial way. The people who are complaining now are those who did not even want the metro system to commence . For those who do not live or go to the capital,the road system can not cope with the traffic , there is a desperate need for underpasses and overpasses but the DR is a poor country and can not do everything at the one time . To compound matters,we now do not have a major contractor here thanks to people wanting to cut off their nose to spite their face.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..............the French are providing the new rolling stock and they have not arrived ........

That being the reason I can see why the expansion has not opened.

Anyone who has actually used the Metro would know there is no way the Metro can handle additional riders. Several years ago I used to enjoy riding the Metro during rush hour smiling knowing everyone above ground was stuck in traffic. It has gotten to the point I now try to avoid the Metro during rush hours due to overcrowding. I have seen cars pull into the station and leave people on the platform because there was just not room for them to get in.

It still is a downright shame those stations past Eduardo Brito just sit idle...........SMH

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This makes no sense at all. That project must have been close to 90% complete last year and nothing??????

Any word or the teleferico or overhead cable cars whatever they call them?

Time for the SD este residents to burn some tires if you ask me............ oh well, no one asked me so it will be the usual shrug their shoulders when asked what's going on.
Danilo barely finished the new bridge (the largest cable-stayed bridge in the Caribbean, that's how you know this project was created by Leonel... the previous largest cable-stayed bridge in the Caribbean is the Mauricio Báez Bridge near San Pedro, guess who built that too? The widest cable-stayed bridge in the Caribbean is the Juan Bosch Bridge in SD, guess who built that as well... Notice the pattern?)

The first phase was finished mostly because the money was already flowing, but then Danilo decided to use the money on other things.

Keep in mind that Danilo was originally against the Metro project and he even said it on the inauguration of the second phase that it was the very first time he had been to the Metro. That was last year and the Metro (the first line) was inaugurated almost a decade ago. That says quite something about this man and his opinion of this project.

On the day he inaugurated the second phase of the 2nd line, he said he was impressed with the project, but I guess he was not impressed enough to keep the construction momentum going.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That being the reason I can see why the expansion has not opened.

Anyone who has actually used the Metro would know there is no way the Metro can handle additional riders. Several years ago I used to enjoy riding the Metro during rush hour smiling knowing everyone above ground was stuck in traffic. It has gotten to the point I now try to avoid the Metro during rush hours due to overcrowding. I have seen cars pull into the station and leave people on the platform because there was just not room for them to get in.

It still is a downright shame those stations past Eduardo Brito just sit idle...........SMH
The entire 2nd line was suppose to be finished, the entire line that will connect the Juan Pablo Duarte station (at Centro Olimpico) with Parque Colon in the Colonial Zone was suppose to be done by now, and the 3rd line should had been partially built by now (this line will be under the 27 de Febrero / Las Americas corridor.)

Danilo changed that.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
T I have seen cars pull into the station and leave people on the platform because there was just not room for them to get in.

On the London Underground in rush hour you could wait for 4 or 5 trains to pass before you could squeeze into one - at least that was the case 17 years ago - am sure is the same now.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

And what makes you think that the person people vote for has anything whatsoever to do with the result of the elections!

Matilda

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
On the London Underground in rush hour you could wait for 4 or 5 trains to pass before you could squeeze into one - at least that was the case 17 years ago - am sure is the same now.

Matilda

yeah, that's London ........... this is dr1 ......... not related

I mainly mentioned that cause there were so many dr1 members who said the Metro wouldn't fly but it seems to have surpassed the ridership predictions.

Still a darn shame the project seems to have come to a halt. Yes, I know if you don't live in Santo Domingo you could care less.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The zona colonial line was a spur line .never was to go to the Cathedral but only to Parque Independencia and probably will never occur . I guess NAL has all the evidence to back up the claims about The president . ..I doubt it .More to the point is that traffic surveys were undertaken and different projects were reassessed as to the priorities . The priority now is to release traffic going from Kennedy to el malecon and the other direction .Traffic in the west to east direction have a large number of under and overpasses . And then there is the important bypass of Santo Domingo from the Haina port to the Boca Chica port ..that has only been half completed and until it is problems mount on El Malecon and Independencia .. The large number of very important projects vying for scarce funds means that projects will take more time . No thanks to all the ninnies that have stopped Oberdecht from organising financing of major projects...crooks or not ,they got things done .

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Danilo barely finished the new bridge (the largest cable-stayed bridge in the Caribbean, that's how you know this project was created by Leonel... the previous largest cable-stayed bridge in the Caribbean is the Mauricio Báez Bridge near San Pedro, guess who built that too? The widest cable-stayed bridge in the Caribbean is the Juan Bosch Bridge in SD, guess who built that as well... Notice the pattern?)

The first phase was finished mostly because the money was already flowing, but then Danilo decided to use the money on other things.

Keep in mind that Danilo was originally against the Metro project and he even said it on the inauguration of the second phase that it was the very first time he had been to the Metro. That was last year and the Metro (the first line) was inaugurated almost a decade ago. That says quite something about this man and his opinion of this project.

On the day he inaugurated the second phase of the 2nd line, he said he was impressed with the project, but I guess he was not impressed enough to keep the construction momentum going.

I take it that you're not in favor of a 3rd term for the current President of RD?