group of tourists attacked and robbed in zona colonial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sad commentary on the state of affairs with respect to crimes of opportunity here. I shudder to think what it will be like in 10 or so years when the focus of crime against tourists changes from immediate gratification to an attempt to achieve social change.*

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
tourist sightseeing in a "train" passing through zona colonial were robbed after a group of armed man boarded the train and took their possessions.
the case is being investigated.
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...s-en-trencito-de-la-ciudad-colonial-HD5151898

I know the Country is saturated with professionals such as lawyers, engineers, doctors, accountants(lol) etc. This here is not really news, its just an example of the Countries largest profession (Ladrones) doing a days work. Next there will be news stories about lawyers writing real estate contracts and engineers(lol) drawing for buildings.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sounds like something that happens in Central
and South America, not the DR.
Ouch!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well.. ya know. if they REALLy want to drive the tourists away.,, they should do this with a little more FLAIR.. I remember being on a bus in Guatemala,, going up from the capital to Lake Atitlan which was a major gringo and tourist enclave.. near lots of ruins.. a big tourist draw.. The bus was stopped on the road by a group of bandits on the road who boarded the bus.

These guys were DRESSED for the part. They must have really spent some money on their outfits. Not only did they have guns. but they had those cross band leather things with extra bullets.. I don't even know if the bullets fit the guns.. They looked like something out of the wild west. I was writing a letter in my head to my mother saying "this was how it ended..." (I thought she would be pleased with the adventurous flair)

So really.. COSTUMES!!! Drive those Yanquis out.. Fuera Yanqui,., Fuera Fuera!!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
These guys were DRESSED for the part. They must have really spent some money on their outfits. Not only did they have guns. but they had those cross band leather things with extra bullets.. I don't even know if the bullets fit the guns.. They looked like something out of the wild west. I was writing a letter in my head to my mother saying "this was how it ended..." (I thought she would be pleased with the adventurous flair)

Now that is class!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

Now that is class!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Regardless of the statistics in other countries you can rest assured the tourists on that sightseeing train won't be back. Neither will their family members or friends.

This is bad news. Middle of the day robbery and in an area usually occupied with people out and about. Sad,,,,,,,,,,,

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Regardless of the statistics in other countries you can rest assured the tourists on that sightseeing train won't be back. Neither will their family members or friends.

This is bad news. Middle of the day robbery and in an area usually occupied with people out and about. Sad,,,,,,,,,,,

Agree 100%. *

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

I think that was the point of the robbery.. as I said.. Fuera Yanqui.. fuera fuera enough with the privatizations of the beaches and turning our capital city into a tourist attraction..,

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Annie
Think your giving them way too much brain cred. it was an opportunity and they took it
Hell those trains are normally almost empty,

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I was going to say the same thing. They are just armed robbers after money. They aren't armed rebels in the mountains for a political cause. Although both are dangerous and not good for tourism.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DR is more stable and safer than many other latin countries but things get bad if there are armed robberies targeting tourists and they take place in the daytime, in pretty busy area.

Status
Not open for further replies.