Road from Los Patos to Bahia de las Aguilas

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
How is the road nowadays?

Anybody drove it recently?
That was the better section of road from Barahona and west. But as post #2 things may have changed. By the way it is dirt road but was well graded after the turn to Cabo Rojo and that section may have suffered with the rain.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We will go to the Eco Lodge for a weekend. Not sure if I should try to get to Bahia de las Aguilas then in my car (it has 4x4) but since it is a Tucson it is not really meant for off-road...

They offer trips to there I think by boat but I would prefer road...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
PM kfrancis. He says he has contacts on the sea facing side of the mountains and maybe give you up to date information. Dirt road was excellent when I visited. No issue for normal car.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Got the confirmation from Eco Lodge and had a brief email conversation with the German owner. He told me the road is in a better condition than it was in the past and with my car it wouldn't be a problem to use it.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Got the confirmation from Eco Lodge and had a brief email conversation with the German owner. He told me the road is in a better condition than it was in the past and with my car it wouldn't be a problem to use it.

Is that Rancho Platon? If so looks good and hope you enjoy.

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
We've stayed at Eco Lodge a week ago (city Enriquillo, Not the lake Enriquillo) it is 15 min from Los Patos. The owner was very helpful with all kind of the advises about visiting the Bahia. If you stay in Eco Lodge you need to go to Bahia and return before the dark, too many animals on the road, nothing like here on the North. This is just 50 km from the hotel and the road is OK, inside of the Bahia you can also go by car (you will need 4x4) up to the Bahia beach but in this case you will miss all the stunning rock views which you can see if you take a boat from the restaurant there.

For those from the North Coast I may add that the road from the Enriquillo and up to the restaurant in Bahia is absolutely fine, the last 10-15 km are a bit worse with no pavement but it is still much better than the road to the Monkey Jungle, who went there will understand what I'm talking about.

It was a long drive from the North Coast and back but it was absolutely worth seeing.

Some of my photos.

This is a shore on the way from Los Patos to Enriquillo

On the way to Bahia. I don't know why the soil is so red. May be too much of red clay.

Last edited:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Eco Lodge. That was where we were too. Wolfgang and Lulin are perfect hosts. Will go back. Great pics.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Enriquillo town.

2mrxkc3.jpg