Bayahibe & La Romana hotel, restaurants & beaches

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Hello,

I am very curious to get to know the Bayahibe & La Romana area. I am planning a 2+ week trip after new year so I would appreciate any information from residents or experienced visitors.

Bayahibe:
- what beaches are the nicest in the area in case they have several? Any beach bars or beach restaurants to recommend?
- good value hotels (no all-inclusive). Preferred price range 70-100 USD per night?
- any suggestions on what to do during the days in addition to the beach?
- Nice restaurants for the evenings and any bars/dance places to recommend?
- I plan to rent a car so any suggestion on best rental company etc. I have driven before in DR..
- Any good gym I can get access to during my stay?
- What is the normal crowd on the beaches (mostly all-inclusive hotel guests or a mix with other tourists/locals)?

La Romana
- similar thoughts. At least regarding hotel, restaurants, thing to do/see

Much appreciated / Milo

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
to answer a few of your questions, the better beach is over in Dominicus, very quick ride from bayahibe village. Bayahibe public Beach and Dominicus Public beach you will find Dominicans and non all inclusive guests using the beach. Of course, the weekends are busier.

In the evening and night, you want to be in Bayahibe Village as most of the restaurants are located there and the area offers a typical Dominican scene. It is hard to refer you to any in particular, but many restaurants offer Italian along with Dominican meals, and brick oven pizza. La Cava. Don Elsio, cuba libre are some that come to mind.

things to do besides beach? Most all the boating excursions leave from Bayahibe, there is also the caves and national park to visit. Horse back riding is also avaliable. Bring a box of Dominoes and see if you can get a few games going with some locals, if you want to mingle.

As far as a non all inclusive, in Bayahibe there are a few places like Bayahibe Hotel, Villa Iguana, Bayahibe guest house.. go on Tripadvisor for some ideas ...in Dominicus, there is Cabana Elke, The Flamingo , again Tripadvisor has a pretty good list of Apartment rentals and other non all inclusives. Booking also has a pretty good list.

As for the Gym, non all inclusives usually do not offer a gym, so calisthenics or a 5 gallon water jug may be a decent alternative. You can also try jogging the beach in Dominicus .

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
10 min walk from Bayahibe Village to the beach of Dreams. 2 min taxiride to a nice open air disco, direction Dominicus. Nice atmosphere to meet locals and tourists evenings til 9pm at the colmado in Bayahibe Village. Good diving in Bayahibe, for instance Coral Point office 5 m from water.
Nice peaceful apartmenthotel Villa Baya in Bayahibe Village, about 40$ a night. You can take local guaguas to visit Boca de Yuma.