AMET - U Turns And they fire Guns

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Who allows these water-heads to carry guns ?
[video]http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/amet-sancionara-agente-disparo-a-jeepeta-cuyo-conductor-infringio-ley-ver-video/[/video]

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if i said i do not occasionally (read "all the time") wish death upon bad drivers i would be lying. this dude had it coming. my heart grew 2 sizes just watching this.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I hope that guy gets promoted ....might send some common sense to the rest of the drivers who ignore ever rule going

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I would like to buy him lunch and a cold beer. How many times I would like to have done that when one of these many ignorant drivers, cut you off, block you to cross 3 lanes of traffic to make a turn when they put themselves in the wrong lane, drive too fast, drive too slow, stop in the middle of the road to talk to a friend neighbor etc. etc. etc.

WELL DONE!!!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Are you people seriously praising the cop? I come from a civilised country where traffic police manage to enforce the law without carrying lethal weapons, let alone using them!

Feb 7, 2007
I hope the AMET gets fired and sentenced to at least 3 months of jail. Regardless of the fact the driver did a bad turn, Ley 241 does not contemplate use of firearm /deadly force to enforce the traffic laws and punish a prospective ley 241 violation *. Tell me which paragraph authorized traffic cops to use guns to enforce traffic violations by shooting on the vehicle/driver.

As many in the newspapers pointed out, the bullet could have easily ping pong from the wheel and hit innocent passerby, maybe even a child going to school? Would you then praise the idiot AMET as well and buy him a lunch?

* It is not AMET who decides if traffic violation is committed. He just writes a report (ticket) and it then (can) goes to traffic court. It is judge who decides if Law 241 was broken. There are traffic courts in every provincial courthouse. You have the right to "appeal the ticket" and appear in court and you can even get fine dismissed on technicality (such as incorrect date/ time, ticket not filled out properly or signed properly, and best of all AMET not showing up) or dismissed on arguing of not really violating Ley 241 and proving it, or casting a reasonable doubt.

This process is well worth it, because even if you are found guilty, the fine cannot exceed the base fine imposed by AMET (1200 pesos I think) so if you have just little time on your hands, fight the ticket. You have a 50/50 chance you win and nothing to lose. I did win.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
I would add one more thing, even if the judge declares you guilty of Law 241 violation, you can appeal. Appellate courts are usually in different province, and the AMET would need to go there (most likely on his own dime) and appear at appellate court again, if he does not , you know the story ... ticket gets dismissed.

Of course, at this point you will most likely run a cost (travel, food, etc.) same or exceeding the 1200 pesos fine, but if you want to stick it to the AMET, doing the appeal is the way to go (that is, of course, only if you had been declared in violation of Law 241 by the judge during the first, local hearing).

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Being a traffic cop has to be one of the most stressful jobs on
this island. Shrewd but effective.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Sometimes drastic ignorance of the rules requires drastic action by law enforcers and if this is what it takes to combat the rude, ignorant, rebellious and dangerous drivers of this land, having to pay for a new tire and tow away as well as the fines is OK with me.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Are you people seriously praising the cop? I come from a civilised country where traffic police manage to enforce the law without carrying lethal weapons, let alone using them!

But this isn't your country and the drivers here always ignore each and every rule and look down on and treat with contempt and insult those who try to administer the AMET agents. Did you not read about the public prosecutor who got an AMET agent jailed the other week for ticketing her for parking illegally?

Attitudes need to change and perhaps this guys actions will raise eyebrows and in which case he has done something remarkable.

Next time you turn illegally where it says no U turn you might think twice and not ignore the AMET agent!

(And to boot, have we not seen images of police officers recently in a civilized country shooting drivers who do not get out of vehicles when told which seems far more extreme?)

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I would say the woman who made the ILLEGAL U Turn, in front of the Cop, with total disregard to anyone else is probably a much bigger Danger to others than ONE Bullet shot into a Tire, drastic as it seems, it was effective.
She will think twice next time ..

And I love how people always bring out the the old " what if a child is hit with the stray. ricochet bullet" argument.

Well, what if the Total disregard for traffic Rules woman runs over a child one day ?
A much much more likely scenario, imo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no point in wondering about "what if he missed". he did not. and let's be honest, he did what every single one of us wishes we could do to other drivers here. i daydream of going full grand theft auto on dominican roads.

Buzz104

Apr 5, 2014

Are you trying to say that countries allowing firearm ownership are less civilized, or that somehow law enforcement officers should patrol unarmed? I love the fact that your hail from such a proper and civilized country??however you?re in the Dominican Republic now. You?re going to have to contend with a lot more unsavory dudes and less civilized folks prowling around.

Guns are everywhere here, get comfortable with it!

With all that said, I doubt that use of the AMET officer?s firearm, qualified within the deadly force use matrix.