Visitor visa for my wife

May 29, 2006
I want to bring my wife to the US for less than a month next spring. We were married back in June. Nothing like a simple tourist visa?

Would it be easier to get one of my brothers or my father to sponsor a different kind of visa?

Mi esposa's is telling me I have to bring paperwork to a consulate in NYC, possibly Albany. But I'd rather stay here in the DR until Spring..

We have a lawyer, but I think we're trying to get a harder visa than we need. My dad is 85 and can no longer travel~I'd like him to meet my wife.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A short time ago, it was virtually impossible to get a visitor's visa for a Dominican spouse. *And I mean next to never. Some say that visa's are much easier now for Dominicans to the US. *

You are wasting time and money with a lawyer. *Her best chance is to apply to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo along with the thousands of others that do this weekly. *Her connections to the US are not a good thing (as in you for one) . *She cannot be sponsored for a visitor's visa. *It is all on her and her ties to the DR as proof she will return.*

What kind of visa are the lawyers trying to talk you out of money to get?*

Good luck and let us know how it works out.*

Last edited:

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
The application is now done on line. It is fairly simple to complete. No lawyer is needed.

When you fill out the application you will need her passport number, cedula number, information on her parents (full names and dates of birth).

When the application is complete you pay a $160 fee. Either at Banco Popular, or on line.

Once you have that paid, you can create a profile at ustraveldocs and make your appointment at the VAC for biometrics. Then your second appointment at the embassy.

At the embassy appointment you will need to show proof that she has reason to return to DR. The following documents will help: 6 months of bank statements showing account activity, a letter of employment, CV, or proof that she had paid taxes, title to a car or house. If you are living and working in DR, your residency, rental contract in both of your names, your letter of employment, and your marriage certificate will help.

We filled out the application for my husband two weeks ago. The first appointment available at the embassy was March 30, 2017.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
My partner was given a 10 year US visitors Visa in September. We paid a lawyer in Bonao $3500 pesos for putting the application together.

When she attended the interview in Santo Domingo she was only asked to confirm how many times she had visited Spain with me. The officer never examined one document. We waited otside the Embassy for the appointment and everyone near to us was granted their visitor's visa.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DRDreaming, good info on the updated process and the requirements. *

March 30, 2017 for an appointment - wow! *That shows how popular these visas still are.*

As for jinty05's success I am sure the visits and returns from Europe played a big part in the approval to the US for your spouse.*

May 29, 2006
Anyone have a link to the online application? She has the title to our casita and her solar, but she owns her own small business so has no paper trail. Taxes? I don't think so. I just got her a bank account last winter.

She got her passport about a month ago, but I think the lawyer isn't up to date.. this is very different than what she said. Mi esposa had to get a letter of conduct and I was suppose to jump through hoops in the US.

Last edited:

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hey pBrat, I don't know nothin about birthin babies or visas, miss scarlett. Wouldn't it be a good idea to go on a few short trips to get a few stamps in that passport? mexico, and come back. Panama and come back. just go wherever the flights are cheap. stay three days.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Anyone have a link to the online application? She has the title to our casita and her solar, but she owns her own small business so has no paper trail. Taxes? I don't think so. I just got her a bank account last winter.

She got her passport about a month ago, but I think the lawyer isn't up to date.. this is very different than what she said. Mi esposa had to get a letter of conduct and I was suppose to jump through hoops in the US.
I don't know what type of visa the lawyer was having her apply for, but she needs a B2 visa. Visitors visa. I think the website said that a letter of employment, CV, OR proof that you have paid taxes. Maybe providing your proof of income, or a bank statement from a joint account would be sufficient. You also have plenty of time between now and the time of the next available appointment to get the documents together.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A short time ago, it was virtually impossible to get a visitor's visa for a Dominican spouse. *And I mean next to never. Some say that visa's are much easier now for Dominicans to the US. *

You are wasting time and money with a lawyer. *Her best chance is to apply to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo along with the thousands of others that do this weekly. *Her connections to the US are not a good thing (as in you for one) . *She cannot be sponsored for a visitor's visa. *It is all on her and her ties to the DR as proof she will return.*

What kind of visa are the lawyers trying to talk you out of money to get?*

Good luck and let us know how it works out.*

I think it is still virtually impossible to get a visa for a spouse. I tried this summer and my wife was denied.

Just curious, but why are you recently putting an asterisk after all your sentences?

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I think it is still virtually impossible to get a visa for a spouse. I tried this summer and my wife was denied.

Just curious, but why are you recently putting an asterisk after all your sentences?
My brother in law was approved this summer. He provided his children's birth certificates, a bank statement, title for his truck, and proof that he paid taxes( he does not make a lot of money). He had other documents with him, but they were satisfied with just those. He stated his reason for travelling to the US was to visit his wife's family. His in-laws wrote a letter of invitation, but he didn't need it.

May 29, 2006
I think getting another bank account for her business might help... she doesn't pay taxes. She starts with $15-$30 of spices each week and ends up netting $80-$150 selling in tiny bags to colmados. She doesn't usually get factoras from her suppliers.

May 29, 2006
If you get an appointment for say April, can you still get processed by waiting in line? Are those all walk-in applicants?

Thanks for the info folks, I think we were going on a wild goose chase..

May 29, 2006

How long of a visit was she planning? We want two weeks or so. We have our business here and her kids.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We were turned down cold with a four year marriage. They give no reason. You cannot attend the turn down interview. I was so angry about what happened we got a green card and are now back and forth instead of living full time in DR. Wife is now a US citizen so we are free from immigration nonsense. Good luck but do not expect much from visitor visa app. No lawyer needed and it will have no effect on outcome

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you get an appointment for say April, can you still get processed by waiting in line? Are those all walk-in applicants?

Thanks for the info folks, I think we were going on a wild goose chase..

Your first appointment will be for the VAC in Galerias 360 for a biometric photo and digital finger prints That's all - total of about 15-20 minutes.. There is no other place where you can do this and it is by appointment ONLY. All those people you see standing in line have an appointment - some are with friends, but only those with an appointment are allowed to enter.

They will not let you in ahead of your scheduled appointment time(they do start reviewing paperwork - for example those that have an appointment at 11am at around 10:30am - and then let you go inside. They put up a sign showing what appointment times are currently being accepted.

Depending on where you live, you might want to schedule you VAC and embassy interview on the same day, or at least on consecutive days so as to avoid a long, tiring trip.