Who Knew? Playero

Aug 21, 2007
Tomorrow, we are reading Green Eggs and Ham (Huevos Verdes y Jam?n) in Strength for the Journey Story Hour. I got it in my head that I would make green play-doh and sugar cookies iced like eggs to give the children. The play doh recipe called for Cream of Tartar, which is usually used to make icings and meringue.

So, I went to Playero and looked in the section where you find cake mixes, flour, etc. It was not there.

Next, I checked in the spice aisle, thinking possibly that is where they put it. Nope.

I tracked down the store baker. Asked him, thinking even if they didn't sell it, maybe he would have some to give me. He wasn't sure what I was talking about, so he got a red shirt Playero employee to help me. The Playero employee looked up Cream of Tartar on his phone. Checked out the images. Yep, that was exactly what I needed, I said.

He took me to the cake mix aisle. Took me to the spice aisle. Then went to ask a cute girl behind the glass counter where the most special and often pick-pocketed items are on display.

All this time, I am having to explain to each person what I want to do with cream of tartar....not bake, but make play-doh, masa, for children to play with. They all think I'm crazy.

But what do you know.....the cute girl behind the glass counter walks down to the other end of the counter, and there, right next to the special barrettes and bows for hair, is cream of tartar!!!!!

She saw my surprise and delight and decided to show me what else is in that section. McCormick celery seed.....(even though there is an entire McCormick display back by the spices0.....and other small bottles of spices.

What is the reasoning behind this system of organization? And how would I ever know to look for spices next to the hair bows?

It's beyond me!!!

sandk

Sep 20, 2010
I've had similar experiences at Playero and other stores here. Sometimes I stop and think "where is the absolutely least logical place that one might look for xxx" and ironically I have found many things that way. Boggles the mind!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my question is, why you did not just buy green play-doh? cream of tartar is kinda pricey for the minuscule amount in the pot.

on a side note, la sirena in POP has it in the spices section, easy to find.

Aug 21, 2007
my question is, why you did not just buy green play-doh? cream of tartar is kinda pricey for the minuscule amount in the pot.

on a side note, la sirena in POP has it in the spices section, easy to find.

Green play-doh for 20 children is expensive.

Today, I made 4 batches of play-doh at a cost of about 200 pesos total. The cream of tartar cost 123 pesos. Other ingredients were flour, salt, and a tiny bit of oil. I don't think I could have bought that much play doh (and where to find GREEN play-doh) at that cost.

Just checked Amazon. Could buy a 3 pack of 5 ounce containers of play-doh for $16.33. Then would have to pay to ship it from Miami to here. Thus, cheaper to make it.

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is it expensive? i did not know. my experience with it is having to peel it off my clothing/shoes after visits in my SIL's house. by the amount of sheer waste of it her kids produce i thought it was cheap as dirt.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Playero

One of mi milagro's favorite things to do when he comes to visit his ever lovin' mama is to go to Playero and just look at the way it's "organized." He loves to tell people that baby food and machetes are in the same aisle.

And LK, my ex-MIL ran a day care center and she always made her own play-dough, because it is expensive. Especially since the little ones just jam all the colors together anyway so it's always a sort of indeterminate. brown.

I wonder why the cream of tartar is with condoms and mosquito repellant. Do Dominicans use it for something else? And why the celery seed? Some things are just so mind boggling.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If anyone finds the Horseradish - post it here........PM me.!!

It used to be in the German section but no more.
No more horseradish anywhere from I see

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
The German store near the New Car Wash has it “sometimes”. Look for Meerrettich.

Aug 21, 2007

How about if tomorrow, when I make my daily Playero run, I write a suggestion for the suggestion box.

"Get Horseradish!"

Let's see if that works.

Lindsey

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Yes, HVB had three different kinds the last time I was there. On Pola the cream of tartar was wedged in amongst the coffee creamers.*

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
How about if tomorrow, when I make my daily Playero run, I write a suggestion for the suggestion box.

"Get Horseradish!"

Let's see if that works.

Lindsey

And please, by all that I hold dear, not the purple kind. White horseradish. Gold's.

I've been thinking about trying to grow it. There's no reason I can think of it wouldn't be OK here.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005

You can find it at the German store, Plaza International were Encargo is located...just at the other end. And if they don't have it, just tell you would like to have and they will bring it for you.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Lindsay, i find your post hilarious! ... Many times i asked Nelson why they have some things behind this glass counter. Because nobody would look there. If you do the calculation....maybe some people would steal some but you still would sell the product, instead letting it rotten behind the glass shelf were nobody would look. I asked the employee in charge of the pet area, they should please put the dog beds on the lower shelf because up there women who would buy these for their babies can not reach them. Smile.... yes i will do...well a week later i asked again, he said i need to ask the boss....Well is asked Nelson, if he could please place the dog beds on a lower shelf. I explained to him, that he would sell much more, because we women when we see a nice comfy bed for our family member we buy it. He promised me to put these on a lower shelf asap. Well they are still on the highest shelf, not reachable ... I buy these beds in other stores... or order them in the USA. LOL

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
santa, xyz

I have them made - better & cheaper

Foam, fabric, zipper or velcro.

show them one and they'll copy it