MasterCard not paying VAT on car rental claim

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
To all those that were assured to decline the insurance at the counter and your MasterCard covers the damage they do not pay taxes on the repair parts or labor. In my case about $900 of a $3900 claim after a moto married the rear quarter panel of the SUV in Moca. All taxes are considered VAT ( Value Added Tax ) and to top it off it was a Platinum World Card. I also believe Discover discontinued their coverage so check with the benefits department of the card brand, VISA, MC, AMEX ect. before you rent. Just wondering how much tax would be on a car if it was stolen and needed to be replaced. 10K or more?

I had the 3rd party insurance from the rental company and that saved me a world of hurt and imprisonment. I am now going to check with my travel insurance company about their car rental insurance. I travel for a month at a time and it is under 50 bucks with Allianz Travel insurance for personal travel. And for those going the whole winter it covers longer periods of time at under $100 with the all important emergency medical transportation of up to $50,000 to get you home and fixed up properly.

But the reason of this post is to make sure you due your homework and CALL the benefits department. Not rely on third party hear say. Now off to split hairs with the claims representative over which law the no payment of VAT is covered under. If anyone has seen the show Dan Vs. my new name is Dan and my resentment is MasterCard this week. Stay safe my frens.

Added: To make it Dominican related MOCA is in the DOMINICAN...........