Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is that extra insurance mandatory for renting a car in the DR?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is that extra insurance mandatory for renting a car in the DR?

Last time in the country, February 2016, I rented a car from Alamo and was told I had to get the extra car insurance. I never in the past was made to do so. I have lived there and visited there many times in the past 15 years. My arrival was late at night and I did not want to fight with the attendant. He pretty much said take it or leave it, the extra insurance is mandatory. Can anyone enlighten me on this, the legality? Not whether or not I should take it. I do understand the perils of driving in the DR. I use my AMEX card and this covers me somewhat I understand.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It's isn't mandatory.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

3rd Party Liability insurance is mandatory and has been for a few years. At Alamo it is $9 per day.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RV429 View Post
    3rd Party Liability insurance is mandatory and has been for a few years. At Alamo it is $9 per day.

Yep, we had to pay it Avis too. *For a two month rental, it added up. *We shipped our car down a few months later. *

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We talking liability or the " extra" full coverage the rental sells?

I have never purchased any extra as the liability is already part of the rental. I have used my CCs as third wheel.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not remember what it was called and I did have American Express for coverage for some "party" liability. I could not leave the airport with my Alamo rental car without paying. It was not a miscommunication thing, I speak spanish also.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am renting for 3 weeks, so its a significant amount, and dont want to pay it if not needed.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drgolfer View Post
    I am renting for 3 weeks, so its a significant amount, and dont want to pay it if not needed.

We did not have a choice, as I remember it. My husband is Dominican, so no misunderstanding possible. As rv429 said, it's 3rd party liability.*

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have rented many times at SDQ, have been offered the extra stuff, declined it and off I went.

The rental companies must at the very least provide liability with their rental as part of the transaction.

Anything beyond that is extra and not required by law.

Unless things have changed lately, I don't believe it's mandatory and nothing more than a cheap selling technique to hook customers with extra monies.

They do scare you off though, should something happens. Inspect the hell out that vehicle for sure.
    Last edited by Wishing you well; 10-17-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

it is not mandatory ....I had the same problem with avis and I went over to hertz ...they accepted the insurance offered by my credit card
    this is a significant saving as the other way it almost doubles the rental fee
    one of the reasons I am going to buy a car and keep it here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast