Beware: state police check not good enough

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
NOTE: THIS IS ABOUT U.S.A. CITIZENS NEEDING A VISA FOR DOMINICAN REPUBLIC not the other way around.

First, the consulate in Boston assured me that my documentation was complete, as my visa was issued. I arrived and they told me my state police background check needed apostille. I was able to FedEx that to my son and get that done quickly, but the translation by the consulate would take at least a week.

!! IMPORTANT !! The translation does NOT have to be done by the consulate. It can be done by an authorized translator in the Dominican Republic, and that can be faster and cheaper, quicker and less expensive, more rapid and less costly, you get the idea. Wish I had known. I returned to the USA and had to get another RS visa because the RS visa is only valid for one entry to the country.

I get here and now they’re telling me they don’t take the state police background checks at all, it has to be the FBI check AND it has to be apostilled.

There are two services that can help. http://nationalbackgroundcheck.com/ says they will get the background check. http://www.usauthentication.com/ can take your FBI background check you already have, and bring it to the State Department to get the apostille. If you got stuck in this trap one or both of these private companies might un-stuck you.

I phoned the consulate in Boston and the lady put the call on speaker so the consul could hear it, because there were other callers complaining about the same sudden change in policy. They are preparing a formal complaint letter to DGM and maybe DGM will change its policy after the harm is done.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I encountered this problem two years ago. I was assured by the consulate and my lawyer that a local police check would suffice. The rules apparently changed and I was informed that I needed a national police check which included my fingerprints.

So for at least 18 months, those dispensing the info should have known of this requirement. Sorry you got caught up in it. Stuff like this happens all the time here. One person tells you one thing, and someone else tells you something else.*

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Doing a resident visa now. The same lady at the consulate in chicago, that helped me before is helping me now, Dianne. I need to send the consulate 14 different papers, one is the criminal background check, from the FBI. The FBI mailed me the forms to fill out. that is form 556-73, and you need digital fingerprints. once the FBI recieves the forms back, it takes them about 12 weeks to return them to you. then I send all 14 items to chicago consulate, with a money order for $ 550.00 usd. And then wait for them to return the translated , apostilled, forms to me. then I take to the Immigration Dept. in santiago, or give to my attorney. For a better explanation go to their website drconsulate-chicago.com. Dianne at the consulate made it very clear several times, background check has to be from FBI. Good luck, I am now Waiting the required 3 months, for the FBI to mail my back ground check . oh bye the way the medical part is complicated also, LOL........DOC......,

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Doing a resident visa now. The same lady at the consulate in chicago, that helped me before is helping me now, Dianne.

Daiana is cool people, I like working with her. She helped me get my visa straight the first time, and has been instrumental ever since.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
I went through this process last year at this time. *It can be tiresome even when using the companies that expedite certain parts of the process. *Once the paperwork was in order, from submission to the 'stamp' in my passport at the NYC consulate was processed in just under two weeks. (Despite what I'd read, you actually needed to hand deliver to that location btw). *

As far as this thread, FBI background check was made very clear to me as a necessity from several people and online sites despite the DR consulate website still being vague about it.*

I can write up my experience should there be any interest. *It was interesting enough from my pov.....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm going to move this to the legal forum.

Legal for coming into the DR, Visa for going out

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Daiana is cool people, I like working with her. She helped me get my visa straight the first time, and has been instrumental ever since.
You are so right, she has helped me many times, always the right info. she is the best

May 29, 2006
How do you get the FBI check?

The apostille is ludicrous. I drove all day to Albany to get it done and it's just an embossed paper signed by an office flunky. Five minutes.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
The medical document was probably the most amusing in hindsight. *After my doc threw together a quick letter stating I was 'okay', it had to be notarized. *The notaries signature then had to be verified by the county clerk.......whose signature then had to be verified by the state. *

Thank gawd it didn't need to be apostilled.*

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
How do you get the FBI check?

The apostille is ludicrous. I drove all day to Albany to get it done and it's just an embossed paper signed by an office flunky. Five minutes.

All of the documents can be found on the FBI website or you can use any number of the expediting services online......who are much quicker btw. *

Jan 7, 2016
When doing our Residency Applications, we had to have FBI Background Checks done with Electronic Fingerprints, that we obtained locally at an approved channeling agency. Had the reports back on my computer by the time I returned to my house--less than 1 hour. Printed the forms and sent them to the State Department in Washington, D.C. for their certification by appostille, which took less than 1 week to do. The process is very fast and seamless and requires NO TRIPS to the State Department or the FBI.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
More hassles

Okay, so first in July they told me my State background check was no good because it wasn't apostilled, and of course the RS visa is only valid for one entry, but when I got a new RS and arrived with an apostilled State background check, they told me that it has to be the F.B.I. form; which I had on me but it wasn't apostilled. I lost ten days waiting for the apostille and translation, which had to be legalized and their system was down. I lost patience and returned to U.S.A. and now the Boston consulate says that they have suspended issue of RS visas. NYC still issues them but only renewals, and traffic Wednesday in Manhattan was brutal. Now the NYC consulate requires more documentation, which means the clock would run out on my U.S. passport expiration date.

I wrote up a complaint letter and printed hundreds of copies, one for President Medina and one for each member of the Senate and Chamber of Deputies, and mailed them a couple of weeks ago.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I just figure everything needs to be apostilled and translated with 57 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows, including the number of times I visit the bathroom or walk my dog.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The medical document was probably the most amusing in hindsight. *After my doc threw together a quick letter stating I was 'okay', it had to be notarized. *The notaries signature then had to be verified by the county clerk.......whose signature then had to be verified by the state. *

Thank gawd it didn't need to be apostilled.*

On your medical did you get a 6 panel drug screen. and the h.i.v. test.....................

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As far as I know, the basic requirements for the Doctor's letter is the simple statement you do not have any communicable diseases which would include HIV and TB.

The drug test is performed here in the DR as is a chest x-ray to confirm no TB. If you have to pay for the drug test at home, just wait and get it done here. You will be retested here anyway.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If I were a foreigner living in another country and considering moving/retiring to the DR, I think that after reading this thread and the one on the "speedy" new online application process - I would seriously start looking at some other country!