Safer Areas of Santiago to Live

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Hi all,

Currently looking to move to Santiago for a temporary job.

Are you able to give me some advice on some of the following areas to live?
I've lived in the DR for 2 years so i'm fairly up to speed of the general culture and lifestyle, however I am not too familiar with Santiago - therefore i'm looking for advice on safety in these areas (mainly as I like to walk) and what the general amenities are like (bars/restaurants/supermarkets).

If anyone is able to mention the main 'places to be' or 'to go' on a weekend I would be keen to know.
I'm female in my mid to late 20s.

Reparto Oquet / Panorama
Pueblo Nuevo
Savica
..and any other surrounding/nearby areas.

Thanks

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I lived in the Trinitaria area for a few months. I thought it was pretty safe though a more expensive area. Can easily walk in the neighborhood up to the Monument. The area is from where the Caribe tours bus station is up to the Momument.

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
I lived in the Trinitaria area for a few months. I thought it was pretty safe though a more expensive area. Can easily walk in the neighborhood up to the Monument. The area is from where the Caribe tours bus station is up to the Momument.

Ah ok, not far from Los Jardines? That's ideally where i'm looking. Good to know its walk-able and fairly safe. Do you mind me asking what rent prices are like around there for say a one bed apartment? I'm hopefully getting my rent covered by the job so i'm hoping it will cover it - although i've heard Santiago is much cheaper in comparison to prices in Sosua/Cabarete.

Thanks again

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I spend a lot of time in the Savica/ El Ejido area and I know it well.
The streets around Club Sameji are pretty laid back. Finding an available
one bedroom there may be a little challanging. I spent a day or two looking
last month, could not find anything so ended up moving back to La Joya.

Pueblo Nuevo is a rough area with a lot of street crime. A lot of my Dominican
friends here in Santiago advised me not to move there. You may want to
consider looking in some of the other parts of town you mentioned in your post.

Good luck.

Last edited:

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Los Alamos is very affordable and safe

How are parts of Santiago like Los Jardines and Los Alamos for safety, walking around during the day? I ask purely because I've heard many horror stories, some real and some not, of violence/robbery during the day. I know most of the DR have those issues and it could happen anywhere, but it's really important for me to be able to walk/get around as I won't have a car.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Los Jardines is teeming with people walking around day and night. A person very close to me goes to the park all the time and not a bit of trouble.

There are lots of jobs in the area and the employees come and go at all hours. I walk my dogs at 6 in the morning and only me and the birds and other strollers are out. At 7 at night there are people going to eat or play.

Close by here there are at least 10 places to eat well...from a 50 cent hotdog stand that has been there for 30 years, to Babeto, an up-scale place with hefty prices for so-so food. There are churches, schools and colmados available and Nacional and Bravo are just minutes away.

I am available if you want to talk.

HB, not the curmudgeon today.

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Los Jardines is teeming with people walking around day and night. A person very close to me goes to the park all the time and not a bit of trouble.

There are lots of jobs in the area and the employees come and go at all hours. I walk my dogs at 6 in the morning and only me and the birds and other strollers are out. At 7 at night there are people going to eat or play.

Close by here there are at least 10 places to eat well...from a 50 cent hotdog stand that has been there for 30 years, to Babeto, an up-scale place with hefty prices for so-so food. There are churches, schools and colmados available and Nacional and Bravo are just minutes away.

I am available if you want to talk.

HB, not the curmudgeon today.

Ah brilliant - thank you

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
lacyla,

Hillbilly is your best contact to know in Santiago. He has lived in the DR for many years. He is a professor and a very nice man. When he says something, you should listen.
Good luck to you on your new journey.