Duties and hidden payments

Henry Mallin

Feb 21, 2002
Does anybody have some experience with importing to DR lighting fixtures for resale? And are there any hidden payments once the products arrive in the country? I had a very interesting experience shipping jetted bathtubs into Mexico from Canada, And I would like to be a little prepared this time.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Try posting your question in the "legal" section of this forum and you may get an answer :)

frederic

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
Trade Barriers, Including Tariffs, Non-tariff Barriers and Import Taxes:

Taxes and duties for imported goods (agricultural and non-agricultural) are calculated upon the "ad-valorem price," i.e., CIF price in US dollars multiplied by the unified foreign exchange rate (presently US$1.00=RD$18.00). All duties and taxes are collected in Dominican pesos. There are generally three taxes on imports except for those subject to exemptions provided by law.

The taxes are:

A) Tariff: the basic import tax which can be as low as 0 percent and as high as 20 percent. (Dominican tariffs are bound by the WTO to 40 percent for all commodities with eight agricultural exceptions).

B) Impuesto Selectivo al Consumo: a consumption tax for luxury imports; e.g., wine & beer, cigars and cigarettes pay 30 percent. For non-agricultural goods this tax for "non-essential" goods ranges between 10-60 percent. This tax is calculated on the CIF price.

C) Exchange Surcharge or Recargo Cambiario: a 4.75% tax imposed to all imports into the Dominican Republic.

D) ITBIS: a 12% tax on industrialized goods and services (Impuesto de Transferencia a los Bienes Industrializados y Servicios) for processed agricultural goods and all non-agricultural goods which is calculated on the CIF price plus the amount paid for taxes and duties previously mentioned. Many domestic products are exempt from ITBIS by law or practice.

Source of most data: U.S. Dept of Commerce Country Commercial Guide
-------------

If you need more advise, send me an email to frederic@tricom.net with your exact requirements and I will send you a proposal and quote. My network of associates can help you all the way, from shipping into the country, clearing customs and delivering to your warehouse, store or client (DOOR TO DOOR Service)