Renewal of permanent residency for more than two years

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I have had investment residency (Residencia por Inversion) for almost five years now. *As I understand this, it has always been "permanent," from the beginning. *With the other kind of standard residency, there is a period where it is "provisional."

So, from some things I have read on DR1, I thought, at some point - I thought five years - my permanent residency could be renewed for 10 years.

So, I ask the lawyer about this and they say no. *I still have to renew every two years. Apparently, for eternity.

Does anyone know for sure this is true?

The lawyer tells me it is time to apply for citizenship, which will end the requirement for me to renew permanent (jjj) residency every two years.

What I find about applying for citizenship seems simple and straightforward. *Jjj again. But, maybe it is time to do it.

Here is what it says (I believe it is written by Guzman Ariza law firm.)

"Once the proper documents for one of the above cases are ready, the application for citizenship is filed with the Department of Interior. *Approximately two weeks after filing, the foreign national will be called to appear personally before the Department of Interior in the Dominican Republic for an interview, conducted solely in Spanish. *The questions and answers can be reviewed before the interview. *Within five months after the interview, the foreign national will be summoned to personally take the oath of citizenship, granted and signed by the President of the Dominican Republic. *Approximately two months after taking the oath, the foreign national will be issued a Dominican birth certificate, and be permitted to obtain a Dominican identification card (C?dula de Identidad Personal)."

(Tried to get rid of the asterisks. *Can't. *Chrome browser.)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There is a type of residency defined as Residencia Definitiva which can be applied for after 10 years of permanent residency apparently according to the DGM website.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/27

Incidentally I believe the renewal of permanent residency is firstly after two years then after a further four years then two again........so far I can confirm the two and the four year periods......

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I first got Investment Residency in 2012 January. *Had to renew after one year - 2013. *Then again after two years - 2015. *And now again two years later in 2017 January. *And the lawyer says I have to keep doing this. *Unless I get citizenship.

The rules are different for this kind of residency than the other more usual.

It just seems after some period of time it would become permanent (for real) and I would not have to renew. *I have seen people talk about getting a renewal for 10 years. *So, I wonder when that might be. *Even with a lawyer, some things are not clear.