Residency renewal online - has anyone tried?

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned in previous posts, but I couldn't find anything.

I was just wondering if anyone has renewed their residency using the new online application process?
I'm about to renew and not sure whether to do it the old way which has actually been pretty straight forward for the last couple of years or to attempt an online application. I'm suspicious about it being simpler!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm in the process. currently the application is in "depuracion y revision legal". online application was very easy and straightforward. i did not know there was an option of doing it "the old way". all the people i know who renewed since august had to apply online.

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
Oh that's interesting. So, I couldn't just go and deposit all of my documents and wait for my carnet in the office?

The irritating thing is the insurance. I live in La Vega and I'll have to go to Santiago to get it. Not a massive journey, but one extra considering I don't have a car.

Any idea of how long it takes online?
So, they just let you know when you need to go and pick up the carnet?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am renewing permanent residency. the process is simple: apply online, fill up online form, upload jpeg versions of all documents required. it took about a week to process this, then i had to go to SD to pay in DGM and do medical. now i am waiting for this to be processed and cleared. i will have to go to SD to make an appointment for residency renewal and then again to receive the carnet and do the cedula (i did not pay VIP, my mistake, i guess).

i don't know how temporary residency renewal looks like.

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
From what I can see, it's a similar process for temporary residency. This is my fourth renewal and I've done the last 2 on my own. I would imagine, after my documents are processed, I'd just have to go to the capital, take photos and pick up the carnet.

I'll give it a go. It just means an extra trip to Santiago to pick up the insurance but they were very friendly and helpful on the phone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one last tip: all docs uploaded need to be in jpeg format and small in size (think around 100 kb).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
On the thread about the new residency renewal insurance, a couple posters said the insurance could be purchased right there. I think one said there was a trailer outside and another said they now have a "booth" inside to purchase. Nobody mentioned anything about an online renewal?

Is the online renewal now mandatory(ie. you can no longer go there with your attorney or by yourself to renew a temporary residency and is there, or is there not, a place to by the insurance right there?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
On the thread about the new residency renewal insurance, a couple posters said the insurance could be purchased right there. I think one said there was a trailer outside and another said they now have a "booth" inside to purchase. Nobody mentioned anything about an online renewal?

Is the online renewal now mandatory(ie. you can no longer go there with your attorney or by yourself to renew a temporary residency and is there, or is there not, a place to by the insurance right there?

Mobile Office parked across the street to buy insurance. There is a BanReservas kiosk inside, not an office to buy insurance.

25g5q94.jpg

25u2tdx.jpg

please note, finger partially covering camera lens not included in insurance coverage.......

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Mobile Office parked across the street to buy insurance. There is a BanReservas kiosk inside, not an office to buy insurance.

25g5q94.jpg

25u2tdx.jpg

please note, finger partially covering camera lens not included in insurance coverage.......

Thanks. The OP inpost #3 mentioned having to go to Santiago to get the insurance. Apparently, that's totally unnecessary. Things seem to be changing daily. I thought maybe the mobile office had been towed away.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks. The OP inpost #3 mentioned having to go to Santiago to get the insurance. Apparently, that's totally unnecessary. Things seem to be changing daily. I thought maybe the mobile office had been towed away.

That post was made by someone who lives in La Vega so probably for them easier to go to Santiago to get the insurance and not have to worry about doing it in la capital.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That post was made by someone who lives in La Vega so probably for them easier to go to Santiago to get the insurance and not have to worry about doing it in la capital.

What is there to worry about when doing it right at the DGM? Time consuming? Complicated?

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
What is there to worry about when doing it right at the DGM? Time consuming? Complicated?

If I wanted to do the application online then I'd have to buy the insurance before uploading and sending all of my documents.
Otherwise, if I do it all in one go, yes I'd do it all in SD.
The insurance company supplying the insurance only have about 4 offices in the country - hence the difficulty if you want to get it all and apply online.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, you need all documents ready to upload them into the system. then you need to supply paper version upon application, along with the photos.

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
So, seeing as it's still possible to do it all in one go in the capital... does anyone know if applying online makes things easier or quicker in anyway?
I'm just trying to work out which way to do it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I haven't renewed online but from what others have written it seems to be an extra and unnecessary step. Fill out the form online, upload pics of all the docs, then later go to SD anyways and turn in all the paper. If there is any benefit to the applicant, it's not apparent from what others have said.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I haven't renewed online but from what others have written it seems to be an extra and unnecessary step. Fill out the form online, upload pics of all the docs, then later go to SD anyways and turn in all the paper. If there is any benefit to the applicant, it's not apparent from what others have said.

After reading this thread, *I have come to the same conclusion. *Where is the benefit?*