Best way to get a taxi at SDQ

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
When approaching the exit of the SDQ airport I'm always badgered with offers for a taxi. It's been the case several times that the person offering then has to call his buddy, who needs 5-10 to show up. The facilitator is of course expecting a good tip (250 pesos last time).
I really just want to go with the established providers and get a taxi already wsiting out front. Is there a specific dispatcher I should be looking out for?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
When approaching the exit of the SDQ airport I'm always badgered with offers for a taxi. It's been the case several times that the person offering then has to call his buddy, who needs 5-10 to show up. The facilitator is of course expecting a good tip (250 pesos last time).
I really just want to go with the established providers and get a taxi already wsiting out front. Is there a specific dispatcher I should be looking out for?

When exiting the airport go upstairs and look for someone dropping off, they will take you for a fraction of what those hawkers and thieves charge through the commission. There is no regulation at the airport as they claim so take advantage of it.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

The guys in the yellow coats are from the taxi drivers union which have been given the right to provide taxis for incoming passengers. They have a desk at the exit from the arrivals hall and outside to the left.

You pay a bit more but they are safe and reliable and no wait. Go to the desk on the outside, tell them your destination and ask for the price. They will give you a dollar price first. Ask for a peso price in Spanish if you can, other wise just try and get a discount and you normally get one.

It just isn't worth the hassle and just this past week the union drivers apparently had a confrontation with some Uber drivers.

Yes you can go upstairs to departure deck and try and pick up a ride, but who you get is pot luck for say 250rd less to the city especially if arriving late after a days travel.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The guys in the yellow coats are from the taxi drivers union which have been given the right to provide taxis for incoming passengers.............

You pay a bit more but they are safe and reliable and no wait.

It just isn't worth the hassle

and just this past week the union drivers apparently had a confrontation with some Uber drivers.

Yes you can go upstairs to departure deck and try and pick up a ride, but who you get is pot luck for say 250rd less to the city especially if arriving late after a days travel.

I used Uber last week without a hitch, but Uber isn't for everyone. You need an Uber account and a data connection upon arrival. Most important you need to know how to wait at arrival level and identify your Uber driver without drawing any attention.

There are many options to get to you destination but like you say ju10prd it just isn't worth the hassle to save a few pesos especially for a tourist or someone who really doesn't know how to play the game.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The guys in the yellow coats are from the taxi drivers union which have been given the right to provide taxis for incoming passengers. They have a desk at the exit from the arrivals hall and outside to the left.

You pay a bit more but they are safe and reliable and no wait. Go to the desk on the outside, tell them your destination and ask for the price. They will give you a dollar price first. Ask for a peso price in Spanish if you can, other wise just try and get a discount and you normally get one.

It just isn't worth the hassle and just this past week the union drivers apparently had a confrontation with some Uber drivers.

Uber is best bet. If you do not have data, just get a coffee at the coffee shop outside and ask for wifi. I don't even look at the taxi guys yelling taxi in my face. I either have my guy already waiting or do uber.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

What is the current fare from SDQ to the colonial zone?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Would you get into a car with an unknown driver where you live? Why do it here in the Dominican Republic? There are reputable car/taxi services here that will have a driver waiting for you when you arrive. You, and only you. Never accept a ride from a stranger, who happens to be "going your way". Not in the airport. Not any where in this world.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm willing to pay a bit more for an established, safe, straightforward service. I think I'll go to the guys in the yellow coats this time.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm willing to pay a bit more for an established, safe, straightforward service. I think I'll go to the guys in the yellow coats this time.
Where are you headed? If it's a hotel, they usually have the numbers of reputable car services that can pick you up. Give them a call and inquire. After receiving the information, check it for yourself. If it sounds like the guy answering the phone is in his kitchen or bathroom....hangup. You want the type of driver who will be standing at the gate with a placard with your name on it. Legit, A/C, safe vehicles. Not just cousin Rafaelito, and his 1987 Honda Accord. If not a hotel, say business or a friend, they as well should have this information. Regardless, whatever route you choose, always double and triple check it ahead of time.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Just try not to make eye contact with the taxi hawkers or politely say no gracias. Proceed to outside and at the curb will be the legit yellow shirt taxi guys. Check and double check the fare before you get in the cab. Whatever price they quote you can usually get at least $5 chopped off the price. Not in the haggling mood just accept the fare and do NOT tip.

As mentioned many ways to get cheaper rates but after a long flight and especially if on vacation who wants to be bothered with the crap to save a few bucks.

I disagree for the most part about the yellow shirt drivers being a rip off. You are paying a premium for the convenience of their service. They take your bags as soon as you exit and in a minute or two you are off to your destination. No waiting, no broken down vehicles. Their prices are higher probably just like all taxi services at airports around the world.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Bigbird you are 100% right. They cost more than the taxi that took you to the airport for sure. But after a days travel it is such a relief to clear immigration walk through the arrivals hall to the desk outside tell them your destination agree a fee and immediately get in a clean new vehicle and on your way home. I wrote about a bad trip last month but when I did fly back I took 10 minutes from deplaning to getting into a taxi with yellow coated driver and I was back home in Miramar 40 minutes after deplaning. Now that swift return once landed has real value imo.
If you are tightfisted, have time to burn or have a regular driver go that way but for peace of mind and quickness you can use the official good service on offer. Ah forgot Uber. Go there if you want but be aware unions here are violent and at the airport they already have had run ins with Uber drivers. And you wont get any official help if trouble finds you.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Bigbird you are 100% right. They cost more than the taxi that took you to the airport for sure. But after a days travel it is such a relief to clear immigration walk through the arrivals hall to the desk outside tell them your destination agree a fee and immediately get in a clean new vehicle and on your way home. I wrote about a bad trip last month but when I did fly back I took 10 minutes from deplaning to getting into a taxi with yellow coated driver and I was back home in Miramar 40 minutes after deplaning. Now that swift return once landed has real value imo.
If you are tightfisted, have time to burn or have a regular driver go that way but for peace of mind and quickness you can use the official good service on offer. Ah forgot Uber. Go there if you want but be aware unions here are violent and at the airport they already have had run ins with Uber drivers. And you wont get any official help if trouble finds you.

For me its the principal. Avoiding rip-offs. The taxi drivers are notorious for overcharging. I once got into a carro public and when he saw I was a gringo tried to tell me he was a taxi and the fare was 250. Sorry Im not biting. They lose.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Be careful Brass.

My friend lives in a semi remote location.
One year, the local police came by to check on him.... in November, late November.
They asked if everything was OK, were they doing a good job, etc.

Oh, yes , gracias - says he and sends them on their way with a handshake.

I guess he didn't understand the spirit of Christmas giving in RD.

He was robbed a few days later nad paid 2-3,000 pesos as thank you.
500 each or so at the time would have eliminated the problem.

They get their way eventually

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Be careful Brass.

My friend lives in a semi remote location.
One year, the local police came by to check on him.... in November, late November.
They asked if everything was OK, were they doing a good job, etc.

Oh, yes , gracias - says he and sends them on their way with a handshake.

I guess he didn't understand the spirit of Christmas giving in RD.

He was robbed a few days later nad paid 2-3,000 pesos as thank you.
500 each or so at the time would have eliminated the problem.

They get their way eventually

The people that live there are sitting ducks, I come in and go out. Stealth-like.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It is my understanding that UBER has not been well received in DR. Especially by the taxi drivers unions.
Of course the taxi drivers union doesn't like UBER, what would you expect? In Santo Domingo UBER is doing just fine. They were signing people up opening night of Licey baseball.

I have had UBER pick me up at SDQ about six times with no incidence.

2lkcilv.jpg