Road illumination from Cabarete to Sosua

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I saw them putting up the posts today, and even more surprisingly they were switched on when I drove from Cabarete this evening.

I heard that the road will be illuminated from the Islabon bridge as far as the sindico de camioneros in Sosua.

Certainly progress is being made.......

Aug 21, 2007
Sounds great to me, as I drive home from Jamao after dark 3 times a week. I tell you, it is dangerous.

Now, if they could just get the carros publicos to dim their bright halogen lights so I am not blinded each time one passes, then I will shout "Progress!"

Lindsey

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Sounds great to me, as I drive home from Jamao after dark 3 times a week. I tell you, it is dangerous.

Now, if they could just get the carros publicos to dim their bright halogen lights so I am not blinded each time one passes, then I will shout "Progress!"

Lindsey

THIS Right here ... Cosign..

This is the #1 reason I don't even drive at night much anymore in the DR on those kind of roads if I can help it , its just downright dangerous on that road with those idiotic high beams .
I highly doubt they will turn them off though, even if that road is fully illuminated.. they just think its Cool I guess or just dont care..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Lindsey

Couldn't agree more. On that hwy after dark, with no street lighting, cat's eye reflectors, or any white side striping paint, those halogen lights are so blinding I can't see where the road is and literally have to stop until they go by.

Even going into Cabarete, I've come close to hitting a moto with no tail lights because some of those lights are so bright. Now they even added these blinding LED grill lights which makes visibility even worse.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Its a damm good improvement and seems to be progressing faster then anything else here...

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
The lights are a bright idea. Hopefully with it comes the re-paving of the road and giving a little extra pavement on the sides so its safer for motos and cars passing each other. :)

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Little Mrs. Doubtful

I saw them putting up the posts today, and even more surprisingly they were switched on when I drove from Cabarete this evening.

I heard that the road will be illuminated from the Islabon bridge as far as the sindico de camioneros in Sosua.

Certainly progress is being made.......

You'll be able to see the vehicle without headlights just before it hits you.
Also it will be helpful to spot the pot holes, before you blow out your tire.
I hope the posts are not placed in the middle of the road, as they like to do on sidewalks.
I know I'm being silly.
The lights really are a good thing!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
You reckon they're doing it to get the night owls to go out of Sosua to Cab or to bring them into Sosua from Cab?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You reckon they're doing it to get the night owls to go out of Sosua to Cab or to bring them into Sosua from Cab?

If the road had better lighting, I'd sure consider going to Sosua to check out the restaurants. Too dangerous of a road at night for me the way it is now. Really needs to be repaved, too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Probably to try and reduce the number of deaths on that road. *

(Rumor is that breathalyzers are coming back and there will be a 3 month jail term for those caught DWI.)*

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The stretch from the El Choco turn off all the way to Cabarete has been completed.  Last night the road was lit for the entire stretch.  At least we can see the horrendous potholes at night now!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The stretch from the El Choco turn off all the way to Cabarete has been completed.  Last night the road was lit for the entire stretch.  At least we can see the horrendous potholes at night now!

Indeed. Came back from Chez Arsenios last night and it was the first time I have seen all of that road lit heading home into Cabarete. They are going to put street lights on my street over the next few days and finish installing the remote reading power meters as well.

They did some filling of holes up to Chez Arsenios coming from Cabarete Center, but still have a couple of really big one between there and El Choco. At least now you might see them and not hit them.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Great to have street lighting all the way between Sosua and Cabarete. Will make it much safer ?Wait until they get all the Junction Cameras working as well . That will be interesting. Oh perhaps you haven't noticed them !

Olly and the Team

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Great to have street lighting all the way between Sosua and Cabarete. Will make it much safer ?Wait until they get all the Junction Cameras working as well . That will be interesting. Oh perhaps you haven't noticed them !

Olly and the Team

Would they be stop light cameras you are speaking of? Should not be too hard to get to work with only three stop lights in the region.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windy - you surprise me! Have not you noticed the Camera at almost every junction. Next time you drive around look up at the junction = there they are the cameras !

You have not been looking Windy.

Olly and te Team

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Olly and the Team

What is your definition of a junction(?).