Matilda's annual holiday - in Sosua

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Every year I have a break from spending all day at the computer, cooking, mopping and looking after kids, husband and animals. This year I am coming to Sosua, meeting a friend who is flying in and we are spending 2 nights in town and two in an eco lodge in the hills outside Sosua before returning to the mountains. I don't know much about Sosua so I need to know where to go for dinner on November 7th and 8th, lunch on 8th and 9th and breakfast on 8th and 9th. I want to eat food I can't get here - so no plantains, no chicken, no rice, no yuca and no beans, no sardines. I want steak, real mushrooms, nice food! All recommendations gratefully received - I won't have a car. Also what is there to do in Sosua, apart from the beach. And talking about the beach, which beach is best. Oh and if anyone wants to say Hi, just let me know - or have their book signed lol.

Thanks

Matilda.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Bala is a great place for dinner - but it is pricey - plates ranging from $20-30 usa but excellent food. Also I enjoy La Costera on Pedro Clisante*for an American breakfast - 3eggs, sausage, bacon, homefries, toast, fruit, ham, bun and cheeses runs about 250rd - oh and that includes juice and coffee. I also like Sinatras on Pedro
Clisante for a more reasonably priced dinner (in front of peq Playero) - wed and fri is 2 for
1 and the cordon bleu is really good. Finally a place I like for lunch is Colores pizza in front of Infiniti Blu. Avg pizza price is 280rd and it is authentic Italian pizza. Bon apetite!!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Normally for a Sosua steak dinner #1 would be Casa 21 but it is closed the nights you are asking about. Morua Mai would be the alternative. Britannia for breakfast or La Costera. Bologna for b/l/d for Italian choices. PM me where you will be staying and I can let you know if any of these are within walking distance for you. Would love to see you again during your stay. If you want a quiet beach Playa Alicia & the pizza place by that beach is a good bet for lunch. Visit Casa de Artes gallery and the Jewish museum. If you don't mind a good hike up Calle Libre a visit to Mundo King museum for unique experience. http://castillodelmundo.webs.com/

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
What about Ottimo ? It's next to the small "flag plaza park" across from Blanco Popular. *I had dinner there last month and it was superb! (Some discussion about it in the "A lot of businesses closing in Sousa" thread). I believe they serve breakfast and lunch also.*

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
"Bump" for Matilda. Hope she enjoys her holiday. And I hope the Ottimo restaurant reviewed below is still open. Anyone been there lately ?

I ate there the other evening. FANTASTIC! Whoever designed the place did an absolutely superb job. Contemporary and classy. Smooth jazz / R&B playing at a level that enhances conversation rather than overpowers it.
Bilingual staff that had obviously received good training.
A classic Italian menu arranged by courses.
Excellent food.
Great value.

We had two appetizers, two entrees, two desserts, and 4 mixed drinks. Total bill was less than 2000 pesos.
I commented on how good the garlic bread was (grilled poolside by your table) and they brought another plate of it.
The tiramisu was huge. (I had the classic version. I'll be going back to try the Amareto version).
Looked like they were well staffed and could have easily handled 20 or more arriving at the same time without a major service disruption.

We didn't try any of the happy hour specials (3-9pm), but I'd go back just to sit around the pool and enjoy the 350 peso pitchers of mojitos! (And I recognize that pool - I did my recertification dive training in it about 6-7 years ago with the now closed "Scuba Elite").

I'd rate this place almost the equal of Casa Venteuno. And the only reason I say "almost" is because C21 had a more eclectic menu, while Ottimo appears to be strictly Italian. But Ottimo has the advantage of being within walking distance and is a much better value than Casa21.

I really hope it survives to high season and then prospers for years to come. And I hope the night we were there is not representative of how it will do. Only one other table (of the 15+) in the poolside dining area was occupied. And I didn't see any customers in the front room while entering or leaving.

Which leads me to another "issue". I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the area. Yet the only way I knew about this place was by reading NY-DR Commmuters post. I'm not a "marketing guy", but there has to be ways to get the info out.

Do yourself a favor and give them a try.

(Full disclosure: My wife's sisters cousin once dated a guy whose nephews friend used to deliver the newspaper to the owners grandfather). (;-)

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
What about Ottimo ? It's next to the small "flag plaza park" across from Blanco Popular. *I had dinner there last month and it was superb! (Some discussion about it in the "A lot of businesses closing in Sousa" thread). I believe they serve breakfast and lunch also.*

I just "bumped" my review of Ottimo is the "Sousa businesses closed" thread.*

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Bala is a great place for dinner - but it is pricey - plates ranging from $20-30 usa but excellent food. Also I enjoy La Costera on Pedro Clisante*for an American breakfast - 3eggs, sausage, bacon, homefries, toast, fruit, ham, bun and cheeses runs about 250rd - oh and that includes juice and coffee. I also like Sinatras on Pedro
Clisante for a more reasonably priced dinner (in front of peq Playero) - wed and fri is 2 for
1 and the cordon bleu is really good. Finally a place I like for lunch is Colores pizza in front of Infiniti Blu. Avg pizza price is 280rd and it is authentic Italian pizza. Bon apetite!!

we all have our own opinions, but 3 of my buddies and i went to Sinatras last month for lunch. worst meal i ever had. they felt the same. they could not make a humble hamburger. i ended up leaving it on the plate after sending it back to the kitchen twice. my buddies suggested i should not send it back a third time....i didn?t.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I'm a big fan of Las Palmeras for breakfast. Victorian House is also good.

You can't go wrong at Morua Mai, ever, and I feel the same way about Carpe Diem, which is classic French, but yes, a tad pricey.

On the Italian side, Ottimo is great, as is Osteria Toscana. La Costera is very good, but it is sort of a long-ish way out of town. And since I live at Orchidee and the chef/owner is my neighbor, I also have to recommend the restaurant. The menu is limited and is mostly German food, but the chicken curry is pretty good.

I dine out very frequently, bc it's too much of a pain to cook for one. I personally don't think Sinatra's, Britannia, or G*d forbid Bailey's are worth visiting.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

You can't go wrong at Morua Mai, ever, and I feel the same way about Carpe Diem, which is classic French, but yes, a tad pricey.

On the Italian side, Ottimo is great, as is Osteria Toscana. La Costera is very good, but it is sort of a long-ish way out of town. And since I live at Orchidee and the chef/owner is my neighbor, I also have to recommend the restaurant. The menu is limited and is mostly German food, but the chicken curry is pretty good.

I dine out very frequently, bc it's too much of a pain to cook for one. I personally don't think Sinatra's, Britannia, or G*d forbid Bailey's are worth visiting.

at least one person agrees with me....

Oct 11, 2010
"Bump" for Matilda. Hope she enjoys her holiday. And I hope the Ottimo restaurant reviewed below is still open. Anyone been there lately ?

ked72w.jpg

RECOMMENDED ! ! !

There AT LEAST once a week. Besides the food being very good, the ambiance is very relaxing. Away from the street noise, quiet and comfortable poolside dining.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Omg I Bailys I donot like at all. I have heard Midtown is excellent. As for Sinatras Ive been there about 6x. Not sure how anyone has had lunch there because they open after 4pm and is a dinner spot. Ive tried steak, cordon bleu and Quesadillas, and wings there - each experience was a good one. I cant comment on the burgers - never tried them. La Costera is very close to Club Residencial and correct - it is not close to the centre of town - its about a 5 min moto or 20 minute walk from peq playero. I wanted to add one place - Albertos which is on Pedro Clisante across from the Jolly Roger. The food there is really good too!! Lots of great tips on this thread. Looks like you have some tough choices ;)

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
ked72w.jpg

RECOMMENDED ! ! !

There AT LEAST once a week. Besides the food being very good, the ambiance is very relaxing. Away from the street noise, quiet and comfortable poolside dining.

Lots of great comments on this place. I think Im going to try it out too the next time im in town.*

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Omg I Bailys I donot like at all. I have heard Midtown is excellent. As for Sinatras Ive been there about 6x. Not sure how anyone has had lunch there because they open after 4pm and is a dinner spot. Ive tried steak, cordon bleu and Quesadillas, and wings there - each experience was a good one. I cant comment on the burgers - never tried them. La Costera is very close to Club Residencial and correct - it is not close to the centre of town - its about a 5 min moto or 20 minute walk from peq playero. I wanted to add one place - Albertos which is on Pedro Clisante across from the Jolly Roger. The food there is really good too!! Lots of great tips on this thread. Looks like you have some tough choices ;)

i went there with three friends. 2 burgers, 2 quesadillas. early afternoon. maybe 2 months ago. food unfit for a dog.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Wow, I cant say this very often if EVER, except on this post here.
I could not disagree with you any more . on some of this
Victoria house is just god awful, their breakfasts are Horrid, i honestly can not believe you would eat at this place.
.. and Morua mai cant even get an order right for surf and turf and forgets your appetizer, and the Prices are absolutely ridiculous for what you get .... its one of the few restaurant I firmly say " never again" to .

Totally Agree with you on ORCHIDEE though.. one of the best Hidden secrets in Sosua..
But Andy at Rancho is also very very good , German and Thai Food

as to your last paragraph, i only agree with Baileys , as its a total Tourist Trap . the other places not sure why you would dislike them..Britannia always had a Nice Breakfast , always, menu has not changed..

I hope you dont think i am picking on your post , but I am just in shock at some of your choices, esp for someone who lives in town .

And you totally left out Bologna ? possibly the BEST Italian Restaurant in Town, for the $$..

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Wow, I cant say this very often if EVER, except on this post here.
I could not disagree with you any more . on some of this
Victoria house is just god awful, their breakfasts are Horrid, i honestly can not believe you would eat at this place.
.. and Morua mai cant even get an order right for surf and turf and forgets your appetizer, and the Prices are absolutely ridiculous for what you get .... its one of the few restaurant I firmly say " never again" to .

Totally Agree with you on ORCHIDEE though.. one of the best Hidden secrets in Sosua..
But Andy at Rancho is also very very good , German and Thai Food

as to your last paragraph, i only agree with Baileys , as its a total Tourist Trap . the other places not sure why you would dislike them..Britannia always had a Nice Breakfast , always, menu has not changed..

I hope you dont think i am picking on your post , but I am just in shock at some of your choices, esp for someone who lives in town .

And you totally left out Bologna ? possibly the BEST Italian Restaurant in Town, for the $$..

You can disagree with me all you want. Restaurant preferences are so personal.

I have never had a bad meal at Morua Mai and find the service to be excellent. Yes, I know it is a little pricey, but I am willing to pay for consistency. I have not been to Victorian House for a while, so perhaps it has changed since my last visit there. I am not a huge Bologna fan, and I am very sad that Trattoria Italiana on PC has changed ownership. That was always my go-to pizza place, and the previous owners were really, really nice people.

I guess the reason I prefer Midtown at Las Palmeras for breakfast is because the sight of Pedro Clisante first thing in the morning is sort of a downer and I prefer something a little bit more off the beaten track, if you know what I mean. And the owner is from Massachusetts, so we bond and drop our "r's."