Anyone in the Ice Cream Business?

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Hello all!I'm hoping someone here has some info.
It's difficult as heck to find.independent.ice-cream shops-here(Bon, Baskin Robbins, Valentino..) they all buy their respective franchisors products. I need ice cream shop
supplies, cones, spoons, etc...

anyone know a place?

Thanks

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Hello all!I'm hoping someone here has some info.
It's difficult as heck to find.independent.ice-cream shops-here(Bon, Baskin Robbins, Valentino..) they all buy their respective franchisors products. I need ice cream shop
supplies, cones, spoons, etc...

anyone know a place?

Thanks

Well, Super Pola had fabu gelato in the Sosua shop. Now closed.

Schnitzel Paradise sells independent sort of artisinal gelato on PC in Sosua.

What exactly are you trying to do?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Poster stated he is looking for the equipment and supplies to run an ice cream shop.*

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Next time you see an independant icecream business walking buy, ask them for info.

You are looking for cones, napkins, cups, spoons, covers?

If you can locate a resturaunt supplier, pay them a visit.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Next time you see an independant icecream business walking buy, ask them for info.

You are looking for cones, napkins, cups, spoons, covers?

If you can locate a resturaunt supplier, pay them a visit.

The Ice cream, just like the beer, coffee and other essential and enjoyed products is monopolized and price regulated in this country. Whatever you find will be so overpriced as to drive you out of the business thereby keeping the monopoly in place.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Ice cream, just like the beer, coffee and other essential and enjoyed products is monopolized and price regulated in this country. Whatever you find will be so overpriced as to drive you out of the business thereby keeping the monopoly in place.

you saved me some keystrokes.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Not really, anyone can import or produce what you need to start an ice cream business. The problem is likely the scale, especially if you need to import frozen, but it's not impossible.*

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Shocked at the price of ice cream shop ice cream here...its equivalent to US prices.

May 29, 2006
Shocked at the price of ice cream shop ice cream here...its equivalent to US prices.

Ice cream needs milk and cream.. I can buy a gallon of milk in the US for $2.25. It's more than double that here and not fresh.

I doubt the BON franchisees are making much money. Anything that does make money is all over the place. Dominicans mostly buy single serve helados for ten pesos out of homes. Those places are everywhere.

I did an ice cream shop in the US one season. Cheap startup and I got everything including cones from my ice cream supplier. It's a hands on business and not something I'd try down here. Electric alone would be a deal breaker.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
I doubt the BON franchisees are making much money.

Just noticed a Santiago Bon in Bella Terra Mall doing a very nice remodel from the ground up....Same thing for the Bon in Plaza Internacional (recently completed remodel)....The money must be somewhere....

May 29, 2006
Yes, but perhaps with the franchisee. When you own a franchise, you pay for a product with no competition. BON may own all their storefronts, then hire some flunky store manager making 12,000/month. Or some guy with a couple million pesos might be paying BON to build a storefront, then pay an annual fee plus just their product. Very often the franchisee is paying more for inventory than if they went and bought it retail.

I worked for one franchise in the US where they were paying $40 for a case of tomatoes when they could be bought locally from other vendors at $30/case. The vendors may well be selling to the franchise for $25, but mark it up for the franchise owner. It's quite a racket.

I don't know how the BON franchise works, but it's not something to get into without doing your homework.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, but perhaps with the franchisee. When you own a franchise, you pay for a product with no competition. BON may own all their storefronts, then hire some flunky store manager making 12,000/month. Or some guy with a couple million pesos might be paying BON to build a storefront, then pay an annual fee plus just their product. Very often the franchisee is paying more for inventory than if they went and bought it retail.

I worked for one franchise in the US where they were paying $40 for a case of tomatoes when they could be bought locally from other vendors at $30/case. The vendors may well be selling to the franchise for $25, but mark it up for the franchise owner. It's quite a racket.

I don't know how the BON franchise works, but it's not something to get into without doing your homework.

my understanding is that BON is not a franchise operation. one family owns them all. same for outfits like Pollos Victorina. somebody told me that one outfit owns all the Burger King, another owns all the Kentucky, etc. it is not like the US, where John owns the branch in Queens, and Tom owns Brooklyn.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my understanding is that BON is not a franchise operation. one family owns them all. same for outfits like Pollos Victorina. somebody told me that one outfit owns all the Burger King, another owns all the Kentucky, etc. it is not like the US, where John owns the branch in Queens, and Tom owns Brooklyn.

Mr AE's brother and wife owned a Bon franchise in SD for years, with employees running it. *After they were robbed a couple of times, they sold the franchise and equipment a couple of years ago. *