Santiago Violence: 12 dead in 15 days???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What the heck is going on in Santiago???

Computer translation:

Santiago violence left 12 dead in the last 15 days

SANTIAGO. At least twelve people, including five suspects and a notary lawyer, were murdered during the last 15 days of October just ended amid high levels of violence and crime affecting this cibae?a province.

Of that total, most fell downcast in burglaries, assaults and actions of hired killers, drug issues and revenge, as can be seen in the file Diario Libre in Santiago.

Among those who died violently in the past fortnight are two men whose bodies were found on different dates, bound feet and hands, and with bullet holes in the irrigation canal Villa Gonz?lez. They were not identified.

Also killed alleged criminals Juan Carlos Rodr?guez Pe?a (The Goon) and Luis Jose Veras Martinez (The Walker), who resided in the Yaguita sector Ejido and Jorge Luis Martinez and Jose Antonio de la Cruz.

They were killed notary lawyer Jose Efrain Diaz Diaz, young Miguel de Jesus Amarante, 27, and Daniel de Jesus Collado, (Danny), 30. Other dead were violently motocochista Vlademir Cabrera, 41, and young Madelin Sosa, 20.

The Bully and the Walker were killed by Francisco de Jesus Hurtado supposed to catch them robbing a woman in Cambodia sector north of Santiago. According to police, the victims were several complaints of muggings and assaults.

While De la Cruz Martinez and they were killed by police when they allegedly tried to penetrate to a cabin in the Spanish-American Avenue, near the community of Canabacao.

Another suspect was killed by a police officer who served in banking security lottery O & M, whom the deceased and another person later captured, police tried to dock. The deceased was not identified in the day that the tragic incident was reported. In this fact the police were injured and Francisco Javier Lopez, owner of the business.

The body of notary lawyer Jose Efrain Diaz Diaz was found a day after being reported missing by relatives. The lifeless body was found in some bushes from the entrance to Flumen, La Canela with gunshot wounds and burns.

Amarante Jesus was gunned down by unknown and the body thrown into a thicket of community Yaguita Pastor; Jesus Collado (Danny) was killed in the widening Freedom by unknown occupying a vehicle, while the body of the girl Sosa was found in some bushes near the irrigation canal Cienfuegos.

She lived in La Vigia Dajabon and had been reported missing after leaving his aunt's home in Santiago. He was identified by his brother.

With the increase of crime and crime that have taken over the streets of this city, representatives of various sectors demanded the authorities implement further measures to deal with this scourge.

A report by the NGO Volunteers for Security Santiago (VOSES) indicates that this city is one of the places most violent deaths occur. It estimates that so far this year here has been a violent rate of 18 per hundred thousand deaths. The victims of these deaths are young men between 18 and 38 years.

The sectors with the highest crime rate, according to VOSES are Yaguita of El Ejido, Cienfuegos, widening Liberty and lower Jacagua municipality.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...o-12-muertos-en-los-ultimos-15-dias-YD5335450

May 12, 2005
Looks like the violence is isolated to certain areas. Do these numbers include murder/suicides between couples?

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Hot tempers, macho culture, unwillingness to deescalate situations are all I can think of. It is so unnecessary.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I live here in Santiago. Doesn?t feel dangerous to me at all, even with the occasional gunshots
at night. To me its still much safer than where I was living in the states.
Fact: New Orleans had a 58 per 100,000 average annual murder rate from 1990-2012.
Hopefully violence here never reaches these levels.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Juan Carlos Rodr?guez Pe?a (El Mat?n) and Luis Jos? Veras Mart?nez (El Caminante):
Both killed by Good Samaritan after they robbed a woman in Camboya.*

Mart?nez and De la Cruz: Both shot and killed as they tried to burglarize a home in Canabacoa.

An still non-identified criminal was shot and killed by a security guard and his companion later apprehended after a robbery at a betting business O&M.

The Notary-lawyer was killed and the signs of torture we all know are related to the drugs underworld dealings...

Ditto for De Jesus Amarante and De Jesus Collado: ajustes de cuentas in the underworld...

The single homicide victim here was the Sosa Lady... Pending investigation.

Not a bad body count if you ask me.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Santiago's murder rate of 18 per 100,000 caught my eye. I had to look it up some US crime rates for comparison:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Memphis TN - 49.9
Detroit 43.5

Down the list was Miami at 19, so roughly the same as Santiago.

I wonder what the poor notary abogado did to warrant burns and bullets. Sounds like torture.

We should have more fortnights like these.
It would clear the garbage more often...

Save for that single and still pending homicide of the lady, of course...

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I think the difference in violent crime between the states and here in the D>R> (except for domestic violence) is that in the states most violent crimes are committed in isolated areas of whichever city you look at as opposed to here in the D.R. where violent crimes take place not only in "bad" areas but also in what are considered nicer areas.
In my 10 years here in the country I have lived in various cities and various neighborhoods and have spent time visiting friends in all kinds of sectores,barrios etc. I use my same street smarts and awareness no matter what part of town I am in and if walking I will usually grab a pequena from a colmado just to have something to use if confronted by a tigre.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
pequena? I racking my brain for a small weapon in the colmado.

Pretty sure he means a small bottle of beer. *Good weapon actually, some years back our daughter was walking on the Wildwood boardwalk with her boyfriend, who got jumped. *She had a bottle of something in her hand and she cracked it over the guy's head. (Definitely the Dominicana in her, I claim no credit for that).*