U.S. Passport Renewal

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Anyone got their U.S. Passport renewed recently in Santo Domingo.
How was it?
I contacted the consulate in Puerto Plata and they don't know when next it will be possible to renew in Puerto Plata.
Just wondering how easy it is to do in SD or should I go to Miami.

*Moderator: If this should be moved to Santo Domingo please do or let me know and I'll post there.

Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have renewed my US Passport in the Miami office and got the passport the same day. In fact I need to renew it again and will do the same thing.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pa...nformation/where-to-apply/agencies/miami.html

Follow the directions on this link. You can make an apppointment 2 weeks in advance, not more than this. You need proof of travel outside of the US. This is simple, make it for a few days after your appointment and they will tell you to pick up the passport a day or 2 later. Price is $170, can be paid by creidit or debit card.

You can print the renewal form from the site, fill it out, bring it with US quality passport photo. And of course you need your old passport.

Oct 11, 2010
Anyone got their U.S. Passport renewed recently in Santo Domingo.
How was it?
I contacted the consulate in Puerto Plata and they don't know when next it will be possible to renew in Puerto Plata.
Just wondering how easy it is to do in SD or should I go to Miami.

*Moderator: If this should be moved to Santo Domingo please do or let me know and I'll post there.

Thanks

That is very strange that the consulate in Puerto Plata could not accommodate you.

Did you speak with Alexandra?

It is very easy to do in Santo Domingo but you have to make the trip.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
That is very strange that the consulate in Puerto Plata could not accommodate you.

Did you speak with Alexandra?

It is very easy to do in Santo Domingo but you have to make the trip.
I have emailed the Puerto Plata office and they respond promptly and professionally.
They don't know when a person from the Consulate will be going to their office.
They are waiting to hear from Santo Domingo but have no idea when that will be.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Has anyone renewed in Santo Domingo recently?
I was trying to avoid Miami if possible.
I have renewed in Miami before. Since I'd be coming from the North coast was just trying to avoid any surprises and also find out how the process was. Was the passport received within 3 weeks etc.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Note about passport photos:
As of Nov 1st glasses can not be worn in passport photos for USA passports.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Has anyone renewed in Santo Domingo recently?
I was trying to avoid Miami if possible.
I have renewed in Miami before. Since I'd be coming from the North coast was just trying to avoid any surprises and also find out how the process was. Was the passport received within 3 weeks etc.

I friend of mine renewed his passport at the Punta Cana office recently. Took about one month.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I was just at the Santo Domingo office because the Puerto Plata office could not do it. Only appointments are in the early morning between about 7 and 8 am. I was done at about 10 am. This requires an overnight trip to Santo Domingo. The price is $110. For $16 they will deliver the passport to your residence. It takes about two weeks to receive the new passport I was told. A clerk there told me it will probably be a bit less than two weeks. You will need two photos and a copy of the first page of the passport plus the filled out form you will find online. Overall it was a fairly easy process. You cannot bring your phone or any electronics into the embassy area so you will need to leave your stuff in your hotel or car before you get in line there. Appointments are necessary and it takes about two to three weeks before you will be able to visit. Best wishes.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I was just at the Santo Domingo office because the Puerto Plata office could not do it. Only appointments are in the early morning between about 7 and 8 am. I was done at about 10 am. This requires an overnight trip to Santo Domingo. The price is $110. For $16 they will deliver the passport to your residence. It takes about two weeks to receive the new passport I was told. A clerk there told me it will probably be a bit less than two weeks. You will need two photos and a copy of the first page of the passport plus the filled out form you will find online. Overall it was a fairly easy process. You cannot bring your phone or any electronics into the embassy area so you will need to leave your stuff in your hotel or car before you get in line there. Appointments are necessary and it takes about two to three weeks before you will be able to visit. Best wishes.

Is there a hotel to stay in nearby?

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Had my passport and passport card renewed in SD this year. I went online made the appointments, took the pic at a photo studio at the Plaza Argentina (down the street from the EMB). Arrived an 1hr earlier, paid the fees with my credit card then headed to a window at the entrance of the EMB. Here you have to pay the courier DomEx to have your passport shipped to you, it took about 3 weeks for my passport and 4 weeks for my passport card.*

Hotel, the closets hotel, really a motel, is on the same street as the EMB called Micro hotel condo suites. I have never stayed there, so I can't give you a yea or a nay. I have noticed that AirBnB as some rooms for rent at Cuidad Real 2, a semi private residential that is about a 10-15 walk to the EMB. Hope this helps.

My 2 cents..............

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I had to go to the US Embassy in July. Other than the Micro Hotel(didn't get very good reviews on Trip Advisor) and the AirBnB's mentioned above, there's really not much close to the Embassy. Pretty tacky area - kind of run-down and somewhat industrialized. You really have to go south of JFK Expressway(Hwy 1)to find any hotels.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i had lost my passport in USA, so I went to atlanta passport office and had the passport in my hands within 2 hours at regular charge. no lines and no wait.
I used to renew my passport in santo domingo. Make an appointment by internet, go there and submit your papers. wait a week or 10 days and I picked up my passport from the window outside the building. this was the old embassy.
AZB

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
i had lost my passport in USA, so I went to atlanta passport office and had the passport in my hands within 2 hours at regular charge. no lines and no wait.
I used to renew my passport in santo domingo. Make an appointment by internet, go there and submit your papers. wait a week or 10 days and I picked up my passport from the window outside the building. this was the old embassy.
AZB

I'm glad Atlanta now has a same day. I would go there vs Miami since we need to do some things in Atlanta but the airfare is very high.*

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Hotels: I used to walk from the Barcel? Lina but didn't they move the Consulate to the burbs?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
On the other hand, if you have to be there by 7am, you can stay at any hotel north of 27 de Febrero and get there in less than 20 minutes. There is no traffic congestion before 7am.*