Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: North Coast Roads Report

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Please, if you can go another way, do not use the Jamao bridge.

Yes, you can pass, but with each car and truck, there is less cliche and the road continues to crumble. Cement trucks were working all day yesterday on the new bridge. To do so, they must back down somewhat onto the damaged part of the old bridge. While they are working, traffic is backed up for 20 - 30 minutes at a time. Then, there is chaos as cars on both sides fight one another to get across the poor bridge that is hanging on by a string.

There are signs in Sabaneta and San Victor on the other end saying that the road is closed due to the bridge. I know that Dominicans don't follow rules well. But, please, please, please have consideration for the locals who MUST use this bridge to get to school, to buy food, to go to work, to go to the hospital. If you don't live in the Jamao area, do not use the bridge. Go another way to Santiago or Santo Domingo.

Thank you.
    Lindsey

2. Likes Neargale, snoozer, cobraboy, cavok, Caonabo and 1 others liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have heard from several sources, one of whom just went over the bridge yesterday, that it is in very bad shape. He told me the center has collapsed another 3 feet so that both sides are now inclined at about a 45 degree angle from the road down to the middle(?). Also, the bridge is also only one lane wide where it meets the road, so only one car at a time can pass. That along with the cement trucks are causing a traffic jam there. Heavy cement trucks on that bridge, although necessary, doesn't sound good.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Just came from Moca this morning. Bridge repair and road closed signs at entry to hill road. Still carried on. Saw plenty taxis coming from NC. Great quick drive over and no problem crossing the caliche fill at the sunken bridge - safe for me passed far worse road repairs. Had to wait for one car and one moto. Unless there is more heavy rain my guess it will be good to go despite signs at entry. Zero problem for me and love the quieter road so my usual route back ond forth is still on.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L23 using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post
    Just came from Moca this morning. Bridge repair and road closed signs at entry to hill road. Still carried on. Saw plenty taxis coming from NC. Great quick drive over and no problem crossing the caliche fill at the sunken bridge - safe for me passed far worse road repairs. Had to wait for one car and one moto. Unless there is more heavy rain my guess it will be good to go despite signs at entry. Zero problem for me and love the quieter road so my usual route back ond forth is still on.

Today is Sunday. Tomorrow, work will continue on the new bridge. Cement trucks are working on the bridge throughout the day. Traffic is stopped and backed up for 20 - 30 minutes, as posted previously. The road is deteriorating further. Please have consideration of local traffic that MUST use the road. Do not travel this route. Just because one taxi does not follow the sign stating the road is closed does not mean it is okay for everyone else to keep going, too.

I live in Jamao. I know the struggles the locals are facing. If that doesn't matter to you and your time is more important, then continue using the deteriorating bridge. However, for consideration of those with no other way to the hospital, schools, or other necessary services, I ask, once again, please do not use this route.

Lindsey

6. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post

"Quieter road"? I was last over the road in the beginning of August. The section from Sabaneta to Jamao was pretty rough with some potholes and so was the section around San Victor. Some smooth stretches in between. Has it gotten better since then?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    "Quieter road"? I was last over the road in the beginning of August. The section from Sabaneta to Jamao was pretty rough with some potholes and so was the section around San Victor. Some smooth stretches in between. Has it gotten better since then?
    No. It has gotten worse. But is scheduled for repair in the future.

Lindsey

9. Likes cavok liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect 'quieter' means in a traffic sense....less

11. Likes cavok liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly may I record that I post as an experienced engineer who has been commissioned to assess damage to structures.

Yes I cross the Jamao bridge and have no fear that the contractor building the new single pan new bridge will maintain access for local traffic by filling the recently undermined section with caliche as and when need to maintain his construction schedule which includes pile foundations, columns and support beams on the south side before later craning in of the already precast post tensioned bridge beams for the north side and then following deck work. He wont have difficulty filling the span affected if needs be and that is not now.

I have little doubt that the urgency of this work will be accelerated now.

The original problem was likely that the foundations of one of the original multi span bridge supports was scoured out by the heavy rains and river flooding last year. Scouring out of foundations is something that occurs over time and bridge engineers these days design robustly for a long design life. The foundation affected is intact but has simply dropped or shifted losing its founding base due to river action.

The most recent event was due to further river action eroding the road fill around a trees roots that have grown over time....you can find pictures on the web.

The contractor has filled this void with caliche.

DR1 posts will not stop the regular traffic nor will the signs and there are the usual trucks plying the road with taxis and local traffic. Some weekend traffic has slowed. The contractor can easily maintain the road unless there is another major event in the likely 3 months or hopefully less before a new bridge is commissioned.

If anyone knows how to stop the continuing traffic please post so. Or if it is a potential problem to the locals maybe the military should stop through traffic.

The odd DR1 member vehicle passing over this bridge will have zero impact on the bridge, but that journey may benefit that member greatly.

However the big message should be: There are concrete trucks plying the road from Moca and if you know the road and get caught behind traffic tails behind those trucks your journey will be miserable and long.

Choose your trip accordingly.

The best road back to the capital from say Cabarete, albeit longer with tolls, now is via Rio San, Juan, Cabrera, Nagua and Juan Pablo 2 - 4 hours in total. And the road from RSJ to Nagua is very good apart from a few kms.
    Last edited by ju10prd; 10-01-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

"another major event in the likely 3 months or hopefully less before a new bridge is commissioned."
    LOL. Major event? Thousands of Dominicans returning to their homeland for 6 weeks of Navidad beginning the first week of December. Let's speak of traffic issues. That poor bridge doesn't stand a chance.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    "another major event in the likely 3 months or hopefully less before a new bridge is commissioned."
    LOL. Major event? Thousands of Dominicans returning to their homeland for 6 weeks of Navidad beginning the first week of December. Let's speak of traffic issues. That poor bridge doesn't stand a chance.
    If I were a betting man and I am not, I would say the chances of not being able to pass on Autopista Duarte at Burende, (where the south carriageway bridge has now been demolished), due to an event in the next three months and traffic loads, is equal to the chances of not being able to transit the river at Jamao.

The reality is that in DR, the infrastructure in many places is old and beyond its design life but in the case of bridges, some new modern structures are being built across very wild and unpredictable rivers.

Everything ages and we go with the flow......

15. Likes Caonabo liked this post
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast