Nightmare at Santiago Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Boone

Feb 23, 2002
We flew out of the Santiago Airport on Wednesday after about 3 months in the Country. It was ridiculous (although I shouldn't have been surprised). The baggage screeners went through 100% of the bags and turned everything upside down. They ripped open boxes that could have been easily opened, undamaged, by a 12 year old child. They tried to tell me that I could not take 5 liters of Rum although my Wife and I were allowed twice that amount by the US Govt. They confiscated my Fish filet knife that was in my "Checked" luggage. It was as though they had been sent to School to learn everything they could do to **** off someone and make sure they never returned.
A group of Missionaries were leaving on the same flight. They confiscated some small rocks and a bag of sand that they found in one Lady's bag. She tried to tell them that she was going to use them in her Sunday School class but they were apparently worried that if everyone took away a small piece of the Island, it would soon be gone.
I appreciate that they are looking for items that jeopardize our safety, but their attitude was "I'm being an asshole because I can".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Typical PRD idiocy. they seem to excell. Give them a little power and they go bonkers. Surprised they didn't steal a few of your clothes...

Sorry, but at least they could claim to be doing their jobs, not like the idiot in Georgia that hid over 290 bodies because the crematory burners were broken...

HB

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Santobonao,

Did you realize that the OP was over four years ago. I have flown from STI to EWR a few times since then without incident.

What don't you like about STI?

All the best,

JD

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While the Dominican version of Airport Security are truly idiots, they are just trying to do their jobs. They broke off the nail file of my fingernail clippers one time....
However, I think things have calmed down a bit recently. And it is still the neatest airport in the DR both to arrive at or to leave from :p:p:p

HB :D:D:D

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
a mi me quitaron un vinagre de naranja agrias diske porque ese liquido se puede salir y danar los alambres del avion. que kille tenia yo. ufffff eso fue que lo querian para ellos. eso fue en sdq hace 4 anos

Status
Not open for further replies.