New expat Batida shop in Hig?ey

May 29, 2006
One of the new businesses in town sells premade 16oz batidas for 30 pesos. Batidas normally sell made to order for 80 pesos, 100 pesos in some places. At 30, it's almost as cheap as making them at home. Worth walking the four blocks any day, esp since they're close to our nearest fruit stand.

The owner is an expat, buys all the ingredients by the case and preps the shakes by the dozen. You tell them what flavor you want and they pull it out of a freezer chest. Under a minute in and out of the store and it's on the main drag of our sector. She must be doing 100-300 sales a day, so even at five or ten pesos profit after costs, she's got a nice little turnkey going.

I suspect she mixes the fruit with the canned milk and sugar to make a base, which saves a lot of hassle. Most places have the fruit in chunks and make the batidas one by one, which ends taking about five minutes after including washing the blender each time. She's got families stopping by on motos buying four different batidas and they're in and out as fast as they can get their money out.

The shop is a few blocks north of the bridge into Villa Cerro on the left. TODO a 30.

Best of luck!

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
(Quote)I know, bruto, you cant live on that. (/Quote)

Are you joking?

Last edited by a moderator:

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
May I kindly ask why my post was edited by Chirimoya at 6:49pm? There was nothing rude, confrontational, or argumentative in my post directed at Fulano2. It was a simple question. This is why I included his remarks in quotes, using this forum's Reply With Quote feature. This is not the first time this has happened to me, and I would like to know why my posts are being edited?
Now, my question was in response to Fulano2 stating, "I know, bruto, you cant live on that." I asked, was he joking, only to be able to respond further in a proper fashion. Joking, fine, no further comments needed. Not joking, some dialogue can begin. The income generated by this small start up business may or may not be sufficient for the person involved depending on their individual situation, and goals. Is generating income their number one goal? Maybe, they just want to provide a nice affordable service to their area. Maybe, it's their first attempt at a business. Nobody starts off owning 150 juice shops, you start at 1. Are they retirees/pensioners, only looking to keep themselves busy? For some people, believe it or not, money is not everything, and they view working as something to keep them busy. Now, for $650 US on a monthly basis (low end), that's not too shabby if you live a modest lifestyle in the Dominican Republic. No, you are not going to have a 3br villa in Casa de Campo, but an extra $650 per month on top of a pension or other savings isn't too shabby. It all depends on the needs of that one business owner. Maybe, being an expat, they have a Dominican "significant other", and they are looking to assist them or their family in starting up, learning, and running a business. In my travels, I don't know too many Dominican families that would turn down an extra 30,000 pesos per month (on the low end). Nobody knows other than the business owner, and I tip my glass to him/her/them for trying. Good luck.
That's all I was trying to say, and again, I ask that the editing of my posts please stop.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The post was edited by mistake by another mod and I tried to restore the original without success. There was a misunderstanding about the word "bruto" which was not intended as an insult. In this context it means "gross" as in gross earnings. Please continue the discussion bearing this in mind.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
One of the new businesses in town sells premade 16oz batidas for 30 pesos. Batidas normally sell made to order for 80 pesos, 100 pesos in some places. At 30, it's almost as cheap as making them at home. Worth walking the four blocks any day, esp since they're close to our nearest fruit stand.

The owner is an expat, buys all the ingredients by the case and preps the shakes by the dozen. You tell them what flavor you want and they pull it out of a freezer chest. Under a minute in and out of the store and it's on the main drag of our sector. She must be doing 100-300 sales a day, so even at five or ten pesos profit after costs, she's got a nice little turnkey going.

I suspect she mixes the fruit with the canned milk and sugar to make a base, which saves a lot of hassle. Most places have the fruit in chunks and make the batidas one by one, which ends taking about five minutes after including washing the blender each time. She's got families stopping by on motos buying four different batidas and they're in and out as fast as they can get their money out.

The shop is a few blocks north of the bridge into Villa Cerro on the left. TODO a 30.

Best of luck!

It's bebidas. I was confused by the title of your post until it hit me.

May 29, 2006
It's across from the Pollero shop right at the entrance to Lago Verde.

They pulled the pontoon raft out at LV, btw. I never see anyone there. I use to go now and then, but I got fed up with them not having ANY change when I wanted a beer. Nice venue, pity.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
Saw the owner at the park. Judging by the kids, she had a Dominican esposo at some point, but I didn't want to ask during her off time. Could be an inlaw is working the counter.

Plenty of Expats leave the island with a million bucks... the trick is to bring two million :)

Feb 7, 2007
I tried the batidas on Friday, very good ones but huuuge amount of sugar. I will give it another chance and ask for a sugar free one.

May 29, 2006
I'm always telling mi esposa to cut the sugar by half when she makes anything. She puts in about quarter pound of sugar per full blender. I buy a can of milk and half pound of sugar every couple days and we usually get our fruit off a wheelbarrow vendor. She has me make the batidas most of the time now.