Fedex

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
We decided to go with Fedex a few weeks ago for a shipment because it has established a decent reputation for itself. That shipment turned into a nightmare. The boxes were sitting at the customs office inside the Fedex facility at the Santo Domingo airport for 10 days. We placed another order from the same supplier last week and hoping that their preferred shipper (Fedex) would not let us down this time, went ahead with Fedex once again. Today (one week later) it seems like deja vu as we just received the same status update as last time. Changed from expected delivery 9:00 pm this evening, to "No scheduled delivery date available at this time. Clearance delay."
Does anyone here have experience using Fedex or perhaps another international shipping company? Can you offer any tips/advice as to how to get shipments in a timely manner? Is there any particular person(s) you need to slip a few pesos to at the airport?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
It doesn't seem like FedEx is the problem, but rather Customs. I've never had anything delivered, other than a replacement ATM card. I usually stock up when I return Stateside.

Jan 7, 2016
I've had orders via FedEx, UPS and DHL and several of them were held-up for days in Customs in Santo Domingo before finally being forwarded to Bavaro. All the packages had been opened...nothing appeared to be missing or damaged.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
That happens with Fedex, (and dhl) you need to pay the duties at their office and they will release it. If they can't reach you they'll leave it there and you have to pay penalties, after more than 10 days you need to pay a rather high fine to customs. (Imported goods need to be declared to customs within 10 days.

Worst thing is that often they don't do the best effort to contact you, you then should call them and find out why it's not released.

I often receive paper samples on pallets that really have not more than 50 bucks of value. Each and every time customs doesn't believe that value and I need to make a letter explaining paper costs usd800 per MT and I'm only receiving a few sheets. Fedex / DHL don't really lift a finger to speed up the process.*

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Thanks Mauricio. So it seems we are all left to the whim and fancy of Aduanas. Fedex says any shipment over $200 US is out of their hands and in the hands of Aduanas, even though the Aduanas office is inside the Fedex facility at the airport. It seems nothing or no one can escape DR's notorious bureaucracy, even good ol' Fedex.