Las Terrenas Flooding

Leah Corsover

Nov 20, 2016
We are scheduled to fly on 11/24... no word back from the property manager about the villa we're scheduled to rent, or whether the local staff are okay/available. How bad are things in Las Terrenas? Should we be making backup plans to stay in another region for now?

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Right now, i am at las terrenas. We got some water and some places are having water problem. Downtown last terrenas looks ok to me. If you come for the beach, at the momen the water is not very clean.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The beach west of Pueblo de Pescadores is normally a tip after heavy rains with the thrown garbage discharge from the small rio.

Problem for LT and adjacent beaches is the abundance of small rios out-falling into the sea but that is what comes with a beautiful mountainous backdrop.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We are scheduled to fly on 11/24... no word back from the property manager about the villa we're scheduled to rent, or whether the local staff are okay/available. How bad are things in Las Terrenas? Should we be making backup plans to stay in another region for now?

Where is the villa that you are renting? That could make a big difference but most likely you will be fine, except for the fact that the North and Northeast Coast have been getting rain for many weeks above and beyond the norm. The forecast for the next week is for rain almost everyday. There is also a tropical storm off Central America heading Northwest. Hate to be doom and gloom but this has been an extended rainy season and not the best time of year to be in the DR.

Leah Corsover

Nov 20, 2016
Thanks, all. We heard back that the villa is okay, so we are crossing fingers and going forward! I'm still a bit nervous about the state of the beaches and the weather (and feeling grateful that I went ahead and got typhoid vaccines for the kids in case the runoff is more than just "trash") . I wish we could reschedule, but that's not an option, so we will be exploring the area whether wet or dry ��.*

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks, all. We heard back that the villa is okay, so we are crossing fingers and going forward! I'm still a bit nervous about the state of the beaches and the weather (and feeling grateful that I went ahead and got typhoid vaccines for the kids in case the runoff is more than just "trash") . I wish we could reschedule, but that's not an option, so we will be exploring the area whether wet or dry ��.*

I hope it all works out well. Please remember one thing with your villa to secure valuables and lock everything up. Security is the #1 priority in the DR. Not trying to dampen your vacation but common sense goes a long way in assuring you have a great vacation that is trouble free. Good luck and good travels.

Andy Tyrrell

Nov 23, 2016
Good evening!

Also after an update on the flooding situation. Me and my girlfriend are flying out on Saturday and will be staying in Las Terrenas. Are you guys still experiencing a lot of rain, and if so, can you suggest any activities that aren't dependant on an abundance of sunshine?

Thanks in advance!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good evening!

Also after an update on the flooding situation. Me and my girlfriend are flying out on Saturday and will be staying in Las Terrenas. Are you guys still experiencing a lot of rain, and if so, can you suggest any activities that aren't dependant on an abundance of sunshine?

Thanks in advance!

Hate to be Debby Downer but looked at the forecast for LT for the next ten days and some rain is forecast everyday for the next week. Hopefully where you are staying has a nice porch. Buy rum and mixers and enjoy the day.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Once when traveling in Samana to carry out the DR1 Samana Guide it was pouring. My husband was accompanying me and was sort of glum at all the rain…

In my mind, nevertheless, a song was playing and I searched for it on YouTube… by Jose Feliciano: "Listen to the pouring rain
Listen to it pour,
And with every drop of rain
You know I love you more

Let it rain all night long,
Let my love for you go strong,
As long as we're together
Who cares about the weather?

Listen to the falling rain,
Listen to it fall,
And with every drop of rain,
I can hear you call,
Call my name right out loud,
I can here above the clouds
And I'm here among the puddles,
You and I together huddle.

Listen to it fall.

It's raining,
It's pouring,
The old man is snoring,
Went to bad
And bumped his head,
He couldn't get up in the morning,

listen to the rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ya8sRTO7oI

There is a different version, albeit less romantic, but more fun in Spanish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdRIJktn-es

Last edited:

Iliana Nuñez

Nov 29, 2016
are you still in Las terrenas? were planning to go next weekend and we were wondering how the beach and the roads to get there are . We called the hotel we would be staying but is always good to double check since were are driving from Puntacana. thanks

Iliana Nuñez

Nov 29, 2016
We're planning to go next weekend and we were wondering how the beach and the roads to get there are . We called the hotel we would be staying, but is always good to double check since were are driving from Puntacana. thanks

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We're planning to go next weekend and we were wondering how the beach and the roads to get there are . We called the hotel we would be staying, but is always good to double check since were are driving from Puntacana. thanks

Honestly, you would probably be better off to wait for a few weeks until the weather turns and the rain leave. If you can't be outside enjoying the weather, the beaches, etc it is kind of a waste of time and money.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Stunningly beautiful weather here in LT for the past
four days, There might be a shower or two but there is a lot of sun. Few tourists, the beaches have been mostly cleaned up. I think it is a good time to come.