La Casa de Paellas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
https://www.facebook.com/lacasadelaspaellas

Anyone been to la casa de paellas? We know how online reviews can be, from excellent to the worst food ever. If not, can someone recommend a nice restaurant for paella?

Cantabrico. There's one on Independence and another in Silver Sun Gallery. Pricey but good.

There are other restaurants that put out some pretty good paella.. You may want to bookmark www.menu.com.do and search there.

You can also search for your favorite plates on tripadvisor, in case you didn't know.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cantabrico. There's one on Independence and another in Silver Sun Gallery. Pricey but good.

There are other restaurants that put out some pretty good paella.. You may want to bookmark www.menu.com.do and search there.

You can also search for your favorite plates on tripadvisor, in case you didn't know.

I'll second Cantabrico, though it's been awhile since we went there. *

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I'll second Cantabrico, though it's been awhile since we went there. *

Another really good place is Don Pepe's. High ratings and lots of expensive cars out front. Favorite of politicians that love nothing but the best.

It's not cheap, however, but most of their food is excellent!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another really good place is Don Pepe's. High ratings and lots of expensive cars out front. Favorite of politicians that love nothing but the best.

It's not cheap, however, but most of their food is excellent!

There was another place on the malecon that was famous for their paella, but I'm drawing a blank with the name. I want to say it was named for a place in a Spain??? *The old Hotel Lina served a great one too, but I'm talking now about the 70s-80s. *

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Walked past Cantibrico a million times. I always got the impression it was for High Rollers which I am not.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Walked past Cantibrico a million times. I always got the impression it was for High Rollers which I am not.

Many of the restaurants on menu.com.do have menus published online with prices. Cantanbrico isn't one of them. You may want to check menu prices on the other restaurants with published prices.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Many of the restaurants on menu.com.do have menus published online with prices. Cantanbrico isn't one of them. You may want to check menu prices on the other restaurants with published prices.

will do.......... did you notice menu.com now has a listing for food trucks?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
will do.......... did you notice menu.com now has a listing for food trucks?

Sully's which is just before PriceMart Right side of the street in Santo Domingo had great Paella. also a fish market

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Most of the better Spanish restaurants in Santo Domingo will do a good paella......Boga-Boga in Plaza Florida on Bolivar springs to mind.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
For quality seafood would recommend Bottega Fratelli in Piantini.....not cheap but superb quality

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Quality seafood is never cheap..... anywhere.

Price/cost may vary country to country but it always be one of the more expensive meals.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
If you want good bargain basement paella with a resonable price, go to Jumbo on Luperon. (Not sure if any of the Nationals have it as well)

They put out a big 4 ft tray of Paella every Sat. and Sun. morning. Tell the guy when to start and stop scooping, and it's sold by weight.

Get there early because it goes fast.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Most of the better Spanish restaurants in Santo Domingo will do a good paella......Boga-Boga in Plaza Florida on Bolivar springs to mind.

Well I decided on Boga Boga and I think this is a classic example of YMMV. The restaurant is really, really nice but the paella was "terrible".

I had considered going to Sully but the online menu says a 50 minute wait for the paella to be prepared. After that mess at Boga Boga i should have waited at Sully.