I wonder if anyone can help with this

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IMG-20161120-WA0012.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0017.jpgA woman I know had about 12 dogs of every species you can imagine, including real Dominican street dogs.

Economic circumstances have forced her to pretty much abandon six of them. One, a beautiful female with green eyes was spied by a little girl and taken home, where hopefully she will be loved.

My problem, and it not really my problem, but once you see the photos it sort of eats at you, are the other five: two young males and three females. They are seriously undernourished and need help asap.

I have been sending food with my wife, but the cost is prohibitive, and I really cannot afford it, since we already have 6 dogs here in the house and we care for 4 cats, too.

Can any one of the good people on this board come up with a solution or possible solution? I would be willing to get them to the North Shore Or most anywhere on the island) for care and eventual sterilization. This would be an act of love. They are sweet animals who love people. Unfortunately, their previous owner had to make a
Sophy's Choice and these 5 are in real need.

Cordially,

HB

I should note that we found out about this way after the fact...perhaps two weeks after they were left on their own and were "supposed" to be fed by a Haitian handyman...

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
When they are malnourished like that , Be careful of over feeding them.. Give them Portions in their separate own Bowls.. Less is better. If they puke it up , it does no good. thats a lot of food there at one time.. just saying.
they need HOMES , thats what they really need .
Harley will probably chime in , knows a lot more about this stuff that most of us.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, we know about that feeding. What happened was that she was jumped and they knocked the food out of her hands. She cleaned it up and gave it to them in the available bowls.

What we really need are homes for these animals...and soon.

HB

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Do you have the dogs? Planning to bring them to your location? If so, I will help to fund their transportation and food until you find a home for them. Give me some more information. Wife and I are rabid animal lovers.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
View attachment 2456View attachment 2457A woman I know had about 12 dogs of every species you can imagine, including real Dominican street dogs.

Economic circumstances have forced her to pretty much abandon six of them. One, a beautiful female with green eyes was spied by a little girl and taken home, where hopefully she will be loved.

My problem, and it not really my problem, but once you see the photos it sort of eats at you, are the other five: two young males and three females. They are seriously undernourished and need help asap.

I have been sending food with my wife, but the cost is prohibitive, and I really cannot afford it, since we already have 6 dogs here in the house and we care for 4 cats, too.

Can any one of the good people on this board come up with a solution or possible solution? I would be willing to get them to the North Shore Or most anywhere on the island) for care and eventual sterilization. This would be an act of love. They are sweet animals who love people. Unfortunately, their previous owner had to make a
Sophy's Choice and these 5 are in real need.

Cordially,

HB

I should note that we found out about this way after the fact...perhaps two weeks after they were left on their own and were "supposed" to be fed by a Haitian handyman...

They have probably already scattered out on their own trying to find food. Doubt that the handyman would use meager resources to feed the dogs. Most in the DR treat dogs as if no more than a roach or rat unfortunately.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
That photo is heartbreaking. If its not too late for you to rescue them, I will pay for it. Unfortunately I am in the US so will have to wire the funds, please provide more info. This is why that damn country will never progress b/c a society that does not take care of it's animals is no better than animals themselves. karma is a b*tch.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
ExDR:
The animals are in Santiago. They have not scattered since we took the out of the old house where they had lived for some time with that woman and took them to a nearby park. That is where the little girl found the green-eyed one. But after eating there in the park, they went back to the house where at least they have shelter.

I will send you a PM to follow up on your very kind offer. Perhaps we can get them back on track.

What we really need is a foster home/s for them until they are healthy enough for neutering, and then find them good permanent homes.

Let's hope some more people clime on board. After all, they are victims and we can help them. I will try and see if a local vet will do some neutering.. Thanks all....let's keep this going. HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What fantastic support.

Folks, I have received some wonderful support from a couple of DR1 members and expect to publish some pictures in a week or so of some slightly improved canines. Food and some medicine will do wonders.

If you wish to help please PM me....there is still a lot to be done.

Let me be as effusive as an old curmudgeon can be: D@mn fine job folks!!

I always remember that D-O-G is GOD spelled backwards..

Gratefully,

HB