accident of a bus full of canadian tourists

Jan 7, 2016
Check, check, check your tire pressure...especially if you're driving a bus full of tourists...at least it wasn't loaded with U.S. tourists...they'd sue you in International Court! Seriously! Excellent, persistent maintenance is essential in this hotter climate.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That is a Modern , newer looking BUS.. I highly doubt it did not have a Tire Pressure sensor for every tire ..
Or maybe it was Not functioning and Ignored , but no way such a Modern Bus does not have a tire Pressure sensor on every single tire ..

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Does anyone know were these Canadians were staying? We would like to help in any way if a parent/ significant other needs a place to stay because of an injured family member. Does any one know where the injured got sent to? Maybe we can stop by as a fellow Canadian. We would like to think that someone would offer if it was our child sitting in a hospital.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Check, check, check your tire pressure...especially if you're driving a bus full of tourists...at least it wasn't loaded with U.S. tourists...they'd sue you in International Court! Seriously! Excellent, persistent maintenance is essential in this hotter climate.

*Do you seriously believe that the DR tourist buses undergo a stringent inspection at the start of every day?

As for the ICC, America does not recognize it.
Imagine being sued for war crimes.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
*Do you seriously believe that the DR tourist buses undergo a stringent inspection at the start of every day?

As for the ICC, America does not recognize it.
Imagine being sued for war crimes.

It could be the quality of the tires. I was behind a truck in Nicaragua that had a tire literally explode. It was like a bomb went off as the tire turned into a cloud of flying debris. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen and heard it myself.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
Quality of tires or air pressure?

Both are legitimate points, but really... most tires I see on a motorbike, car, truck, bus or whatever are well past due.

A small puncture from any of the millions of spare parts on the local roads, is probably enough to set it off.

Biz opportunity to open a used parts store?

I've been stranded in the past 2 years for rad hoses or similar incidents. We used pieces of rubber and metal off the side of the road to make it a fair distance, before finally breaking down.

Thankfully not a roll-over for me, however I'm super glad to hear all are alive in this one!

I live in fear every time I occasionally use the buses here.

I'm grateful I can have a beer on the journey to numb the pain...

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It could be the quality of the tires. I was behind a truck in Nicaragua that had a tire literally explode. It was like a bomb went off as the tire turned into a cloud of flying debris. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen and heard it myself.

exploding tires here is a regular occurrence. there is no inspection process for things like the quality and condition of vehicle tires. guys drive them until they die.