Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
No Frank12 is not in the condiment business but for all you hot sauce connoisseurs Playero now is stocking Frank's Red Hot. Of course you'll find it in the logical place.... the asian condiment section! Enjoy!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Good to know, but I'm a Cholula Hot Sauce kinda guy.

tumblr_moxg72qCY71srftj6o1_1280.jpg

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I agree with ctrob. The Cholula is the way to go. Super Pola carries it

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
because all of you muricans salivating over hot sauces here we started buying new stuff to try (usually our staple hot sauce was garlic tabasco). we also almost always have sriracha, i use it in thai/curries/chinese cooking. i really liked frank's, totally delish. choula is ok, we have garlic version now. we also tried lousiana sauce, it was good. however, we just bought very hot version of it and it's too spicy for me.

generally, i am a great fan of condiments. we have few fridge shelves stuffed with mustard, horseradish, hot sauces, mayo, sun dried tomato ketchup (yummy) and our new find, bolthouse creamy casears.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The Garlic chili sauce is really good for that also ^

in this type of dishes i really like the fiery heat from sriracha. i made surprisingly good beef coconut curry soup few days ago and the curry paste base was backed by a whole array of other spices and products, from ginger sauce to tumeric.

but i stray from the subject. in all, from all hot sauces we have tried to far i like frank's the most.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I used to make my own hot sauce in the DR: peppers, onions, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, bit of brown sugar, bit of salt and ketchup all in a blender.
Living in the Netherlands with so many Indonesian and Suriname culinair influences there are tons of different hot sauces available. One of my favorite is the shrimp one.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I make mine every week from the peppers del patio....No way Frank could compete with my grandmothers SURABAYA RECIPE...
SAMBAL BIJ ? Frank?*

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Frank has been Dominicanized!!!!! (if that is a word)

Nope, I got this recipe from my first wife's grandmother and she was from Suriname. That country has a great cuisine and to compare it with the DR would be an insult for Suriname
It's great with the ketchup, it becomes part of the sauce and blends in really nice. Try it you'll see.
THE REAL FRANK HOT SAUCE:bunny::bunny::bunny:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
i use it in thai/curries/chinese cooking..

If you like the Chinese Hot Mustard that they serve, you need to pick up some powder. All you do is mix with water to the right consistency and let sit for about 30 minutes. Let me know, I'll bring you down some. It's the real deal and will keep your sinuses cleared out.

It's like a nuclear blast in your head.

21j653k.png

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
looks interesting, what is it served with? i don't think i've come across asian recipe that calls for mustard.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It doesn't really go into a recipe. It's the same yellow mustard they serve as a topping in chinese restaurants or the little plastic packets that come with your take out chinese. You use it on egg rolls, rice, shrimp toast, etc. But usually it's not very potent. This stuff rocks.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I put that **** on everything. Just kidding but it goes on my eggs and everything else that I do not cook for my wife.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Not to go completely off topic but where can I find hot red pepper flakes like you put on pizza etc.
I looked in Playero but couldn't find it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i declare this a condiment thread :)

do you mean this thing?

28hkkd5.jpg

la sirena and jose luis in POP have those. not always but most of the time, at least.