Traveling w/ DR Passport & US Permanent Residency

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I'm wondering how travel works in order for our family to take a trip outside the US.

My wife and daughter have permanent residency in the US (green cards) and have the spouse/family visa in their Dominican passports.

From what I have read, they can travel to countries which allow DR passport holders to enter if they have a US visa with multiple entries.

Visa not required if holding a valid multiple-entry visa issued by Canada, USA or a Schengen Member State

An example of this would be Aruba according to this list on Wikipedia.

I take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, and hope to get a clearer answer here from anyone who has tried to travel under similar circumstances.

Thanks!

JimW

May 21, 2014
Hi amp,

I have the same situation as you. I'm a US citizen (assuming you are too, didn't see in your post your nationality) and my wife and step-children are US permanent residents (green cards) with Dominican passports.

So, I've been in the same situation when we travel and what I've learned is that it all depends upon what country you are a CITIZEN of which determines if you need a visa or not (with a caveat). So, if your wife and kids are holding Dominican passports, they are Dominican CITIZENS as far as visa requirements for travelling are concerned. Now, the caveat, some countries SPECIFICALLY state no visa is required for US Citizens or RESIDENT ALIENS (PERMANENT RESIDENTS/green card holders). For example, Canada requires a visa for Dominican citizens and no visa for US Citizens or permanent residents (green cards). So your spouse can travel to Canada without a visa even though she has a Dominican passport because she can show the US permanent resident card. So as it pertains to your trip, go to the Aruba tourism/visa website and see what their requirements are. If if says US Citizens or Permanent Residents do not require a visa, you're good. However if it doesn't specifically state "permanent resident" then it doesn't matter if she arrives from a flight initiating in the US, her passport (and nationality/citizenship) is still Dominican and is subject to whatever you would find on that website. Hope this helps!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I'm wondering how travel works in order for our family to take a trip outside the US.

My wife and daughter have permanent residency in the US (green cards) and have the spouse/family visa in their Dominican passports.

From what I have read, they can travel to countries which allow DR passport holders to enter if they have a US visa with multiple entries.

An example of this would be Aruba according to this list on Wikipedia.

I take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, and hope to get a clearer answer here from anyone who has tried to travel under similar circumstances.

Thanks!

If they have a residence visa stamped in their Dominican Passport i dont think will have any problem. If they dont have the visa stamped for sure will be a problem because the statement says clearly for Citizens of the Dominican Republic with multiple visa entry from United States, Canada and European Union and used at least one time can visit Aruba, Curaca, Sint Maarten, Costa Rica and Panama. Mexico only acept United States visa. I have canadian visa and I already visited Sint Maarten, Panama, Costa Rica and soon Curacao without applying for a visa.

But I sugest you to go direct and ask to Arubian authorities in USA if you are planning to enter with the green card in case that the passport do not have the visa stamped. I was watching Airport Alert and in Colombia they refused to enter to the country to a Cuban that was US resident and they didnt acepted the green card because cubans needs visas to enter to Colombia.

Another thing you must keep in mind is verify the expiration of your passport, some countries rules says that your passport must be valid for at least 6 months starting on a your entrance date, some other just ask for only 3 months. The airline will reject your check in if you passport expiration is shorter than that.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Appreciate the feedback here.

My wife would really like to go to Jamaica and based on what my research shows and answers here, I'm pretty confident it's possible. I'll probably confirm with some Jamaican authority before to be safe, though.

My wife and daughter have the residence visas stamped into their passports and also have their green cards. We should be good to go!