Cat 5 -Wifi Router.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Looks like I'm in the market for some Cat 5 cabling and wifi routers. Any good places in Puerto Plata?

Also, I'll need to dig up a dead thread, but any recommendations for prioritizing traffic. I wouldn't mind sharing/selling the excess capacity as long as I can run at top speed.

Sep 4, 2012
Also, I'll need to dig up a dead thread, but any recommendations for prioritizing traffic. I wouldn't mind sharing/selling the excess capacity as long as I can run at top speed.
What's the purpose?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you are going to put in Cat 5 or Cat 5e, you might as well put in Cat 6, it's not much more expensive these days.

Ideally get the real copper cores and not the aluminium with copper cladding they sell in most places in the DR.

If you want to manage the bandwidth, then you will need to get an intelligent router.
Many available, not sure you will find one in POP. Google and eBay is your friend.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
What's the purpose?

The people (mainly me) on the top tier network can work without interruption, but the good women of the barrio can watch their novelas at a lower priority.

There is a neighborhood network that is the living example of the tragedy of the commons.

Sep 4, 2012
The people (mainly me) on the top tier network can work without interruption, but the good women of the barrio can watch their novelas at a lower priority.

There is a neighborhood network that is the living example of the tragedy of the commons.

I've prioritized with DD-WRT and using MAC Address/IP Addresses.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Looks like I'm in the market for some Cat 5 cabling and wifi routers. Any good places in Puerto Plata?

Are you going to Run "home runs" from your router to each neighbor using Cat5/6 cables or are you going to allow them to use only WiFi for access and what's your bandwidth going to be? If you over provision your shared bandwidth, results might not be good at all. Congestion issues may cause dropped packets for each connection you have provisioned. If you can't find the router you want in the the DR, send me a pm.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Are you going to Run "home runs" from your router to each neighbor using Cat5/6 cables or are you going to allow them to use only WiFi for access and what's your bandwidth going to be? If you over provision your shared bandwidth, results might not be good at all. Congestion issues may cause dropped packets for each connection you have provisioned. If you can't find the router you want in the the DR, send me a pm.

Work in progress. Right now I just need a drop from the business on the street (where the cable-router is) to the house where I work and play. My wifi extender can't see the cable router through the zinc roof. It may make sense, just to put an antennae on the roof to start.

I can order stuff from amazon, but it's a week delay....