Nice house on the beach in Cabarete

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
casa-del-rocon-031216.jpg
http://cabaretenoticias.com/2016/12/04/asi-estamos-en-cabarete/

In Cabarete, there is no government. We can not expect many things from the town hall, the ministry of tourism and the environment to enforce the laws.
The house of the Rocon in Cabarete is a typical example of the barbarities that occur and are maintained in Cabarete in terms of construction and protection of the laws concerned.
Today, December 3, the owner of the Rocon house, located on the old road that goes to Encuentro beach, is doing work on the 60 meter strip, public and protected area, removing and removing the sand from the front From the beach, to a height and depth of about 3 meters. The pool, which was blocked by order of authorities, due to a previous action and complaint, is uncovered and is sure to reappear in a short time, violating the law in plain sight. The 60 meters are now closed with a cyclonic mesh and there are quantities of tubes that are in sight on the beach. You even see one of the pipes inside the sand, which indicates the work above the law and the authorities.
That house, from the beginning of its construction in 2014, was made completely outside the territorial order and to the limit and within the strip of the 60 meters of the beach, in clear violation of the established parameters. It has not stopped denouncing what was committed in that construction
The original plans were approved with 2 floors with a minimum occupation of the land by the tourism ministry.
Result: 4 floors and a land occupation of almost 100% and has no space available for the facilities and amenities established. In January 2016, the construction of a septic was reported inside the beach, a swimming pool and a wall, within 60 meters of beach.
Environment destroyed at least the septic and knocked down the wall, also ordered to cover the pool with sand, knowing that in the future, the pool would reappear.
From the tourism ministry, there has been no action or sanction against the owner of the house. It has always been like this and it will always be like this with the tourism officials we have. Many illegal constructions have been denounced in Cabarete and the tourism ministry always becomes the blind.
Surely the owner of the house has relations with some of the officials and makes it easier to build the 4 or 5 floors, but that does not matter.
They occupy the whole of the land, with construction, doing completely the opposite of what territorial regulation dictates, but it does not matter.
That they make fun of the approved plans, doing what they want, it does not matter.
That if it is necessary to approve the plans again with the irregularities by tourism, it does not matter. The ministry approves it as they approved many projects in the 60 meters. Should we ask the tourism minister, why did he sign a tourism resolution in 2012 for Cabarete? Why is it not applied or respected?
We have a provincial director and a deputy minister of tourism in Puerto Plata but we do not see any forceful action on the part of them. Everyone keeps quiet and no one gives a face or says nothing.
Of the city council of Cabarete and Sosua, it is not necessary to speak because they are the first ones that are negotiating the arbitrarios with the promoters themselves. After the taxes are paid, the council does not appear any more and leaves to the promoters.
So we are in Cabarete ...

http://cabaretenoticias.com/2016/12/04/asi-estamos-en-cabarete/

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Egregious. But I'm sure you're right. He is related to someone in the ministry. Or he has paid the right people. I'm sure these relatives or 'friends' will be at the open house party sporting a new gold chain, guzzling free top- shelf booze and dancing to reggaeton at maximum volume till the wee hours. Chances are some fine ladies will be there to help with decorations, wink wink.
But when you chose to move and live in the DR don't expect them to play by North America's zoning codes and compliance.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Look like the owners may be Russians?
So maybe we were wrong about the relationship with the ministry? I think they may have crossed the line on this one. Can you say "This is going to get expensive"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is hideous indeed. but that's not what bothers me. i just don't get the point of buying a piece of land and then putting a huge construction right in the middle of it, leaving barely any space to the sides and then stealing "nobody's land" to make a patio. buy a bigger land to start with or build a smaller house, for f's sake.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
it is hideous indeed. but that's not what bothers me. i just don't get the point of buying a piece of land and then putting a huge construction right in the middle of it, leaving barely any space to the sides and then stealing "nobody's land" to make a patio. buy a bigger land to start with or build a smaller house, for f's sake.

And those little details about filling the entire property from edge to edge, locating it too close to the ocean, and having too many floors that make a place like this totally illegal. Just look at who signed off on it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
my guess says it was not built primarily as a dwellng home. high end brothel springs to mind

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Wonder if they even own the land? Where were the marine police when they destroyed the 63 meter buffer?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Look like the owners may be Russians?
So maybe we were wrong about the relationship with the ministry? I think they may have crossed the line on this one. Can you say "This is going to get expensive"

I think the Diario Libre article says the owners are a Ruso-Dominicano couple, so one of them could have Dominican relations in high places.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
They have bigger problems than zoning folks. The intertidal zone has been disturbed and the effects will be seen sooner or later. Washouts due to strong tides and storms are inevitable. The house is sitting on unconsolidated sedimentary soil. They will be forced to put in loads of armour stone to prevent sudsidence, otherwise they will eventually have a boat house. The armour stone will block beach access even further. Things like this confirm that coastal geomorphology is not a science known or practiced by DR officials. My long walks on the various coastlines confirmed this many times. Ya can't fight nature!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
well, you can. there was an article few weeks ago about the government planning to restore some of the beaches. a dutch company has come forward with an offer to do the job.

Yes and no, sometimes maybe. The problem is nature tends to take its own paths around coastlines, flood plains, and riverbanks. You repair a problem in one area and natural processes kick in and erode another area. You can enhance natural processes and use them to your advantage with proper planning and engineering. You just can't fight them unless you have billions of dollars and your building large scale projects like dams where water can be rerouted. Over time, even some of those large scale projects develop problems because of natural forces.*

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think the Diario Libre article says the owners are a Ruso-Dominicano couple, so one of them could have Dominican relations in high places.
I've got friends in low places where the whiskey drowns and beer chases.... All kidding aside (well maybe not all) it obviously is a lighthouse right? Why else would it be so tall?
Perhaps the owners will be awarded a safety award for providing safe passage to mariners.
You don't have to look too far to find violations of the 60 meter rule all along the North Coast.
I'm sure the right fines will be paid in the right pockets because anyone with such lack of taste to build that ugly structure has got to spend freely to protect it. Any bets on the house remaining despite violations ?
My bet is the "Cabarete Light House" will become a landmark.
Is there any truth to the rumor the owners bought rights to distribute Bohemia in the regular size bottles ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
well, you can. there was an article few weeks ago about the government planning to restore some of the beaches. a dutch company has come forward with an offer to do the job.

As someone who lived on a small barrier island for 36 years, I can tell you for a fact these fixes are temporary. The Army Corps Of Engineers has overseen beach replenishment projects more times than I can remember in that time. *They pour tons of sand onto the beaches, and all is great until the next big storm. *The only fix that seems to work are high dunes planted with dune grasses, but the oceanfront homeowners fight them tooth and nail because they impede the view. *

These people with this house would pull out all stops to prevent that or anything similar. *They appear to believe the rules are for others. *Will be interesting to see how this ends*

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Pounding in sheet pile is the go to solution but costs beaucoup bucks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes and no, sometimes maybe. (...) Over time, even some of those large scale projects develop problems because of natural forces.*

As someone who lived on a small barrier island for 36 years, I can tell you for a fact these fixes are temporary.

i did not say WIN with nature, did i? the question was about FIGHTING it...

i know those projects are costly and need to be repeated but they exist.

as far as building too close to the shore, yeah, dumb, agreed. but it's their money to waste.