Cheapest transfer/car service from POP/SQG to Las Terrenas hotels?

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
I am trying to figure out how to get to Las Terrenas in the next couple of months. Since flying into the local airport from JFK is now but a dream, I am looking at some other options. You can fly into POP or SDQ and get a car service but they are pushing $350-400 roundtrip.

Short of getting on the guagua, has anyone come up with any more reasonable options? Thanks!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am trying to figure out how to get to Las Terrenas in the next couple of months. Since flying into the local airport from JFK is now but a dream, I am looking at some other options. You can fly into POP or SDQ and get a car service but they are pushing $350-400 roundtrip.

Short of getting on the guagua, has anyone come up with any more reasonable options? Thanks!

there are no options i can think of outside of a guagua.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There is the option of the Bus.
Transportes Las Terenas goes from the Toll road entrance and from PP to LT. Daytime only and more departures from SDQ toll road stop.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JFK to STI

If you get in late, you can spend the night in Santiago.

Early next morning take the bus to Las Terrenas.

If you get in early: There are three or four departures in the morning and two or three in the afternoon.

It is cheap, safe and you get to see the countryside at a dirt cheap price.

Hope this helps. I can get more precise details if you want. Just give me a holler. HB

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hmmm, the bus. Please tell me more. Thanks for any info.

Transporte Las Terrenas has a 1:40 and 3PM bus that leaves Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas. You can pick up the bus at the bus station just before the entrance to the Santo Domingo/Samana Highway. When you arrive at SDQ you will need to take a taxi to the bus station. That will probably cost you about $25-35us dollars. The bus is about $12us dollars. The bus will take you all the way to Las Terrenas but you may have to find transportation from the station to wherever you are staying. Probably a moto, if you don't have too much luggage. The telephone number for the Santo Domingo Station is 809-240-5302. Just remember the bus leaves from here and probably takes about 20-30 minutes to reach the station where you will pick up the bus. The phone number for the Las Terrenas station is 809-687-1470. Also your best bet is to go to an ATM at the airport and get some pesos for the bus before grabbing a taxi. This plan all depends on when your flight arrives in the DR from NYC. Get an early flight if possible. Good luck and good travels.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@LTSteve do you know where the bus leaves from in Santo Domingo? Is this one of the larger buses?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is the latest information:

Linea Junior
P.F. Bon? #69
809 582 2134

Las Terrenas
6:45
11:30
3:00 p.m.

FYI P. F. Bon? means Pedro Francisco Bono. It is the street that goes past the emergency entrance to the Regional Hospital.

Any taxi driver knows it.

The fare is RD$300.00.

When I called, the fellow said that it is best to call ahead to reserve a seat, or get there early.

Hope this helps in your planning.

Remember, this is in Santiago (STI)...NOT Santo Domijngo!!

Cordially,

HB

NOTE: Taxi fares (Uber) are in the 500-800 peso range. Almost the same for a taxi, if you negotiate.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
They have upgraded some of the buses to large coaches, not sure which departures. Otherwise, the medium large coaches used. Buses originate in SD near the Parque and stop at the Toll road entrance bus stop. Call them to ensure a seat as first and last buses are often full.

@LTSteve do you know where the bus leaves from in Santo Domingo? Is this one of the larger buses?

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
Thanks for the bus recommendations.

I have come to find out that, if you book through Expedia, you can get a roundtrip shared transfer from Puerto Plata airport to Las Terrenas hotels for $225. Not cheap but it is much less than the $400+ I was seeing on other sites.

Even so, it is still about 3 hours each way. Grr such hassles.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You asked for the cheapest way to get to Las Terrenas. Why just POP or SDQ?? Especially when STI is a nicer and more comfortable airport for arrivals and departures? If you come JFK to STI, your cost out to Las Terrenas will be between 1000 PESOS, and 3000 PESOS, not, repeat NOT, US$225 or RD$10,000!!!!

The only difference is if you get here too late to catch a bus out there on the day you arrive and have to spend a nice night at a small hotel like the Los Jardines. Otherwise, you arrive, pay like RD$500 to a Uber or taxi (well maybe up to 800), get on the bus (RD$300), and you are in Las Terrenas before dark!

But you go ahead and book on Expedia.....it will cost you dearly...

HB, who wonders why people ask and then don't listen. I do hope that there are some extenuating circumstances, like he just HAS to fly into POP or SDQ...

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
Thanks for your help, Hillbilly. If nothing else, it will probably help some other people get to LT.

I decided to hit Cabarete instead. It was just to much hassle getting to LT from the other cities. If I was more familiar and comfortable, I would try your bus suggestion. I just felt like a douche dragging my luggage through the mean streets of the DR... :squareeye