Leptospirosis

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is this a problem or not?

The group has been conspicuously silent on the issue.

Just a few dead so far.....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
For those of you like myself who never heard of it:

Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals. It is caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira. In humans, it can cause a wide range of symptoms, some of which may be mistaken for other diseases. Some infected persons, however, may have no symptoms at all.

Without treatment, Leptospirosis can lead to kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, respiratory distress, and even death.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was aware of lepto in dogs but did not appreciate the bacteria also posed a risk to people. Good to know.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Many years ago when I was pregnant with our son, routine blood tests showed I had had it but never knew. *Probably misdiagnosed as something else. *I was told I probably got it from changing/cleaning cat litter. *I had a lot more attention during pregnancy because of it, but no issues, and Mr AE was on kitty litter duty after that. *

One of his brothers also had it in SD, the one who's been a huge animal lover since childhood. *

May 29, 2006
It can be spread by mice and rats having contact with food and food surfaces such as plates. Some clinics have signs warning against it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Two items on the subject in today's news:

Consequence of flooding, leptospirosis on the rise
National Health Service (SNS) director Nelson Rodriguez Monegro says that in 2016 so far 41 people have died and 560 have been infected with leptospirosis, which now requires strong action in response to the threat to the public.
Rodriguez Monergo attributed the increase in the incidence of the disease to people wading in flooded waters and drinking polluted water following the heavy rains in the north of the country. A total of 27 people have been hospitalized with the disease and four deaths have been reported in the Cibao region. In Santiago, 14 people are reported to have contracted the disease, mainly children who are receiving treatment at the Arturo Grullon Children?s Hospital, the Cabral y Baez Hospital and private clinics.
Rodriguez Monegro, Deputy Minister Mercedes Rodriguez and Regional Director Austria de la Rosa have met with the provincial hospital directors to discuss the situation and define strategies.
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...irosis-en-2016

CAASD: City water can be used for brushing teeth
The Santo Domingo Water Corporation (CAASD) says that an item doing the rounds on social media warning residents against using tap water to brush their teeth is unfounded. The CAASD assured that potable water levels of Santo Domingo city water are at 98%. The CAASD says they constant monitor the potability levels of the water. The water is treated with chlorine and aluminum sulfate and CAASD says it is working to reach 100% potability.
Interviewed on the El Mismo Golpe talk show with Jochi Santos, Dr. Alberto Santana said that there is no way that leptospirosis could be caught by brushing teeth using tap water. He said the disease was caused by urine in water. He did recommend washing cans and containers before opening because they could be contaminated by the urine of rats entering storage areas.
The Ministry of Public Health has reported 41 cases of leptospirosis in the aftermath of flooding, especially in the north of the country.
Leptospirosis is spread mainly through contact with water or soil contaminated by the urine of infected animals. People can catch the disease by swimming or wading in fresh unchlorinated water contaminated with animal urine or by coming into contact with wet soil or plants contaminated with animal urine.
In the Dominican Republic, it is customary to either boil the water or use bottled water for drinking. However, tap water is usually used for personal hygiene.
http://www.diariolibre.com/m/noticia...l-98-FN5719135

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's a focus for all national newspapers. el caribe has a decent article about identifying the disease and about the prevention. adding cloro to the cistern/tinaco is of great use, all fruits and veg should be washed in treated water as well.
untreated severe cases can kill in as little as four days and the symptoms are very similar to that of gripe or dengue: fever headache, muscular pains.

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/12/14/leptospirosis-enfermedad-que-puede-matar-cuatro-dias-ataca

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Posted because it is something that heretofore had not been mentioned but should/could be a concern for all of us.

A kind and caring fairy passed the information to me.... I too was ignorant.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No effective vaccine for humans. Vaccine for animals is available. Avoid contact with animal excrement. Something I try and do anyway. Just when I was getting comfortable with dengue, chikungunya, and Zika along comes Lepto. Now I gotta wash canned food tops for rat urine? Lots of rats in the DR. The stuff we see is bad enough now this? Press release said especially the North Coast!!.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Looks here, a message from my water purification company*
----------------------------

The Ministerio de Salud P?blica (Public Health Ministry) has issued a warning about an increase in cases of leptospirosis in the wake of the heavy rains and flooding. *The warning advises people to not use tap water for brushing teeth or washing and recommends that people use purified water.

Because of the warning, we want to provide some information about your Ecoserve ultraviolet water purification system and its effectiveness in combating this bacteria. The leptospirosis bacteria requires a UV dose of 7 mJ/cm3 to achieve a 5-log reduction in bacteria viability (that is 99.999%). *At normal flow rates (below 15 gpm for whole home systems and below 2 gpm for under-sink systems), your UV water purification system is providing above a 20 mJ/cm3 dose. UV systems are generally very effective in handling this particular strain of bacteria.

That said, we urge everyone to take the Ministry's warning seriously and use their own judgment to do what they feel comfortable with until this threat is over. Further, please be vigilant and ensure that your UV system is turned on and you have green lights on the control panel.

We hope this information is helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No effective vaccine for humans. Vaccine for animals is available. Avoid contact with animal excrement. Something I try and do anyway. Just when I was getting comfortable with dengue, chikungunya, and Zika along comes Lepto. Now I gotta wash canned food tops for rat urine? Lots of rats in the DR. The stuff we see is bad enough now this? Press release said especially the North Coast!!.

We wash every can before opening in DR, even the maid does it at her house now. *The current danger now is in areas with a lot of flooding from the recent rains*

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Just when I was getting comfortable with dengue, chikungunya, and Zika along comes Lepto. Now I gotta wash canned food tops for rat urine? Lots of rats in the DR. The stuff we see is bad enough now this? Press release said especially the North Coast!!.

in all honesty leptospirosis has always been an issue here and it's reportable disease, in a sense of always being included in epidemiological statistics, along with malaria, cholera, dengue, maternal/infant deaths and so on.

there is an increase of cases, especially on the north coast because of recent rains that caused contamination of water sources/storage/piping. then there is residue of dirty flood water in houses, including furniture, appliances and other household goods. the bacteria can enter body via mouth, nose, eyes and any skin opening (cuts, scratches, wounds).

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
No effective vaccine for humans. Vaccine for animals is available.

It's a vaccine that's required when you bring an animal into this country. It's not on the required list in the US, but it is for here. Sev's vet in CT was so excited, as it's not one of the ones he gives routinely.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
My 8 year old dog died of lepto. *3 weeks later my husband developed a high fever and achy joints and was diagnosed in Cabrera as zika. *After 2 days of no improvement we went to CMC where they said he had pneumonia. He continued to decline and 2 days later when he was getting kidney and liver problems they correctly diagnosed lepto. *By this time he was very sick with multiple organ involvement. *I asked that he be transferred and CMC made arrangements for transport to Cedimat in SD. He spent 6 ays in ICU with kidney and liver failure and came very close to requiring a ventilator to breath. *In the end he had a complete recovery but his protracted illness could have been prevented with an early diagnosis.

Please,-if you get sick with a very high fever insist on a lepto test. *

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Awful story, I'm sorry for you.

Hard to correctly diagnose these things.
Dengue too starts with a high fever*

Glad he's feeling better*

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I had a friend who contracted this in 2013. He was 32 years old and died in less than 3 days 😔

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
About 8 years ago in Cabarete an otherwise healthy 18 year old baseball player (neighbor of a friend) died of leptospiroris. He was terribly sick for a few days, then seemed to get better, then took a rapid turn for the worst. He did not receive an accurate diagnosis until a day before his death. All told, I think from onset to death was less than a week. Very scary.