DR calls all foreigners to renew residency

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are nasty, nasty, lying mofokas:
En lo que concierne a los ciudadanos extranjeros residentes en localidades del interior del pa?s, la renovaci?n de sus documentos puede realizarse en las oficinas regionales de la DGM en B?varo, provincia La Altagracia, para la zona Este y en las oficinas regionales de Santiago de los Caballeros y Puerto Plata, para la regi?n del Cibao y la zona Norte.

AS IF!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
they are nasty, nasty, lying mofokas:
En lo que concierne a los ciudadanos extranjeros residentes en localidades del interior del pa?s, la renovaci?n de sus documentos puede realizarse en las oficinas regionales de la DGM en B?varo, provincia La Altagracia, para la zona Este y en las oficinas regionales de Santiago de los Caballeros y Puerto Plata, para la regi?n del Cibao y la zona Norte.

AS IF!

I wondered about that! *I thought maybe something had changed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
eh.

four years ago, just before the new law was introduced i did a renewal of my residency in santiago. i applied before the change of the law but my residency was not renovated until after it was introduced. still, the DGM decided to process those applications according to old rules (no medical).

as long as there is medical one still needs to go to SD. and, of course, to renew cedula, which expires along with the residency. so really, even if one can deposit the paperwork in, say, santiago, it's just as pointless.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
eh.

four years ago, just before the new law was introduced i did a renewal of my residency in santiago. i applied before the change of the law but my residency was not renovated until after it was introduced. still, the DGM decided to process those applications according to old rules (no medical).

as long as there is medical one still needs to go to SD. and, of course, to renew cedula, which expires along with the residency. so really, even if one can deposit the paperwork in, say, santiago, it's just as pointless.

So, do you know if they are again renewing residencies in Santiago? This wouldn't be the first time things have changed here w/o any advance notice.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i can tell you is that after you submit the paperwork online and your application is accepted you gotta print the confirmation sheet that clearly says to present it in DGM office in SD.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
all i can tell you is that after you submit the paperwork online and your application is accepted you gotta print the confirmation sheet that clearly says to present it in DGM office in SD.

Yes DV8 is right. You have to print the confirmation sheet and then the DGM will email you as to when you need to go to Submit three copies of the documents and also the confirmation sheet. You pay 7000 pesos and the same day you get the residency.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
What's next, another ridiculous thread on people being detained at the airport for overstaying their 30 days? Geez-a-geesh!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I seem to be missing your point.

Way back, the word went out , here, about getting legal.
Some regulars, with multi year stays, volunteered to comply.... CB amomg them, L Kaufman too.
All are legit now.

If not legit, you proceed at your peril.

Not scaremongering.... a fair & square warning or piece of advice

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Small update. First of all, here's an English translation of the announcement:

GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF MIGRATION CALLS FOREIGNERS TO RENEW RESIDENCE CARDS WITH EXPIRED MIGRATION STATUS
SANTO DOMINGO.- The General Directorate of Migration (DGM) calls on all foreign nationals residing in the Dominican Republic with expired immigration status to renew their residence cards, in accordance with the provisions of Law No. 285-04 General of Migration.
In a press release, the DGM indicates that according to the provisions of article 25 of the Law, "foreigners authorized to remain in the country, are obliged to obtain, maintain and carry their immigration identification documents."
In that sense, it states that "foreign citizens with immigration status due in any of the categories: students, temporary workers, temporary residents, permanent residents and investors, must proceed with the renewal of their immigration identification documents." The institution informs that in order to do so, they must come to the Headquarters, located in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, at George Washington Avenue, H?roes de Luper?n, (La Feria) from Monday to Friday, 08:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
In the case of foreign citizens residing in localities of the interior of the country, the renewal of their documents can be carried out in the regional offices of the DGM in B?varo, La Altagracia Province, for the East zone and in the regional offices of Santiago de los Caballeros and Puerto Plata, for the Cibao region and the North zone.

More important, a FB friend has posted that she DID renew her residency, in Punta Cana, including medical:

I renewed my residency in Punta Cana office last year and it was better than Santo Domingo. Never any waiting time at the office, it just took an extra week to get it, because they had to send it to Santo Domingo and back. But all was done in Punta Cana, even the medical exam. I didn't have to pay any insurance then, by I guess that started after I renewed mine.

Times, they might be a-changing.....

Last edited:

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I seem to be missing your point.

Way back, the word went out , here, about getting legal.
Some regulars, with multi year stays, volunteered to comply.... CB amomg them, L Kaufman too.
All are legit now.

If not legit, you proceed at your peril.

Not scaremongering.... a fair & square warning or piece of advice

Many of us have worked hard and stayed legal for years. It HAS been a huge challenge for those that WORK HARD at following the laws.

But it is SOOO much a hardship to comply when the law changes every other day. Last time we renewed our Residency, with a complete re-do ... again we were told that we would need to do the WHOLE FRICKIN PROCESS again next time. After over 20 years as legal and doing nothing wrong contributors ... ya think that they might figure that out.

Nah.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Listen, maybe my posts would be more appreciated over a cold beer or glass of red in person, but they are not meant to disparage anybody. If anybody takes me up on the offer, I'll buy...preferably in Juan Dolio, as the good people there can use the business. Now, on to the business at hand:
There are two similar threads running right now, one regarding the detaining of illegal foreigners, and this one regarding updating/maintaining your status. I'll leave it to the powers that be to sort that out. I'm just adding that it seems every three months or so there seems to be a new thread on this very same issue.....every three months for YEARS! Along with the usual thread about tourist cards, fees, and spankings in the back office at Las Americas. As usual, there is a statement published, people joke, people comment, people get scared....and then the whole world gets crazy. "Run to the lawyers!" Guess what? Nothing changes. Nothing ever changes.
1. Did you arrive here on a yola? Did you sneak across the Haitian border? Did you skydive in? Well, those are known as illegal entries. These people are in trouble if they're detained by the authorities because there is no documentation of them entering the friendly confines of the 809/829/849.
2. Did you enter legally, and then decide to get involved in criminal activity or commit an evil deed yourself? Well, then you are in a bit of trouble as well if detained.
3. Did you commit the dastardly deed of entering legally, buying your 30 day tourist card and staying past Day 31? 1 day? 1 month? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? And yes, the list goes on because these are the laws on the books for the Dominican Republic. Upon your departure, you pay the appropriate fee (yes, we know...no more threads please), and guess what? Good bye, come back tomorrow, and you're a new visitor. Now, as well, if you decide to get your self involved in criminal activity or some stupid pickle, well, you earned yourself the attention. For 99% of the people here, no, we will not be rounded up. Not now, not in the immediate future. How long? Who knows? Solo Dios sabe! But if you're on an Interpol list.......
Now, with that nonsense behind us, for property, business OWNERS or people looking to make an on the books living here...that's a different ball of wax.
Purpose of this posting on this thread is that once again there is some language on here that will cause people to unnecessarily spill their beer or wine, waste their time, and pay attorneys ridiculous amounts of money for nothing. Have you ever sat behind two immigration attorneys discussing their clients? I have. As they chuckle about their clients, they compare their nice watches, nice yipetas, and order another buen fria or copa de vino. True. Very true.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Many of us have worked hard and stayed legal for years. It HAS been a huge challenge for those that WORK HARD at following the laws.

But it is SOOO much a hardship to comply when the law changes every other day. Last time we renewed our Residency, with a complete re-do ... again we were told that we would need to do the WHOLE FRICKIN PROCESS again next time. After over 20 years as legal and doing nothing wrong contributors ... ya think that they might figure that out.

Nah.
Now, you my friend are a perfect example of what I speak of. Kudos to you for doing, the proper and correct thing regarding residency, for whatever reason you desired....BUT....yes, it is that frustrating because they DO change their mind every few months or so...depending on which government official wants a new finca or Swiss bank account (that's another topic). You have to remember where you are residing. This is not your former home. There is a reason a very good friend of mine has referred to this country as "The Land of Make Believe", for over 35 years.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
please note this thread was started to present news release that has appeared in various dominican media. it was meant to be informative, that's all. that WW had to bring bavaro arrests into this, is another matter. AE just reported news article.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Now, you my friend are a perfect example of what I speak of. Kudos to you for doing, the proper and correct thing regarding residency, for whatever reason you desired....BUT....yes, it is that frustrating because they DO change their mind every few months or so...depending on which government official wants a new finca or Swiss bank account (that's another topic). You have to remember where you are residing. This is not your former home. There is a reason a very good friend of mine has referred to this country as "The Land of Make Believe", for over 35 years.

And perhaps YOU don't understand that many are here that own land, homes and business's that we have large investments in not only in money but in that this is our home. So we jump thru the hoops as needed.

Short timers with no real attachments other then Pedro Clisante have no home roots. You're in the land of "The Land of Make Believe" is only your own.

We have made our home and we own it without any problems. We are legal!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i whine and biatch every time i have to renew because who likes bureaucracy, amirite? but really, it ain't that hard or that expensive to get the residency. i'd be more stressed if i did not have one at all. but then, i grew up in the communism and had obedience towards the government pounded into my brain. but to each their own.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
please note this thread was started to present news release that has appeared in various dominican media. it was meant to be informative, that's all. that WW had to bring bavaro arrests into this, is another matter. AE just reported news article.
Noted. Thank you.