VPN for USA

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Any quick recommendations for a VPN to the USA?

I was going to be using it for financial stuff (Wells Fargo has me blocked), but it would score serious bonus points for Netflix and Amazon video.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
You dont need VPN in DR to watch NetFlix. My wife has Netflix under my account and she can log in on her iPad without problems. Netflix is now welcome almost every country expect China and India.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You do need a VPN to get the US version of Netflix instead of the Latin version. There is a difference in programming.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
You do need a VPN to get the US version of Netflix instead of the Latin version. There is a difference in programming.

Netflix will block you if you use VPN in DR. My wife tested and it was blocked. Anyone can request US version, just change the setting in the Netflix app.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Have you done this in the DR? Change to US version in settings.

Feb 7, 2007
My wife's iPad was jailbreaked, that's why she was able to download US version of Netflix and it worked because it had US version in it.

And again, there is no US version of Netflix (app). The US version comes by geolocation. Your wife takes her jailbraked ipad to Germany and she will not be able to find one single show/series in Spanish neither from Netflix USA nor from Netflix Latinoamerica (spare the US show Espa?ol Latino soundtrack).

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Any quick recommendations for a VPN to the USA?

I was going to be using it for financial stuff (Wells Fargo has me blocked), but it would score serious bonus points for Netflix and Amazon video.

Where are you? *I'm between Cabarete and Sosua and I have a US IP address courtesy of my internet service provider. *Delancer internet through my cable TV. *Get all US content on Netflix etc

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I also have Delancer and my IP address is in Miami so I have Netflix, no problem, and never get blocked on any sites.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Our Netflix comes through in the US version because our account is US based.
We don't use it here, but Canada works that way.... US version

Jan 7, 2016
I use HOLA for my VPN for things like Pandora and logging-on to certain financial accounts in the U.S. Netflix is not blocked on my Roku Stick here in the D.R. and the programming is the same as in the U.S. and I don't use a proxy for that service...just regular WiFi through Silver Cable in Punta Cana. HOLA also works on my smart phone for things that need a proxy to receive and send data.

Feb 7, 2007
Our Netflix comes through in the US version because our account is US based.
We don't use it here, but Canada works that way.... US version

You are mistaken. In Canada, you get Canadian version, which is very close to Latin American version. It may seem as USA version but it is not. You can easily find that out by seraching for some titles that are in USA version but not in Canadian / LatAm version.

Many movies are both in LatinAmerican/Canadian and USA version, but USA version frequently does no have Latin Spanish soundtrack. But guess what? Canadian Netflix does.

Anyway, after USA version, LatAm version is the second largest (much larger selection of content than say UK). Also, in LatAm version you get many USA TV shows that you do not get in USA version (such as Shooter, Designated Survivor, etc.). In addition to that, many hit movies appear first in LatAm version while in USA version you get message "this title is available on DVD Netflix service only". As there is no DVD business in LatAm, these titles go straight to streaming. Such was the case of, for example new Miami Vice or something like that movie, London Has Fallen, etc.

Netflix is going huge in LatAm (compared to rest of world, after USA), because it is competing with Claro Video, which now offers a part of its library for free. yes, if you are on Claro network, you can go to ClaroVideo.com and stream a part fo library for free with no subscription required whatsoever (your Claro IP will be your get-in-ticket. Once on ClaroVideo page, click Basic Plan in the top menu, which will filter to show only the free content).

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I use HOLA for my VPN for things like Pandora and logging-on to certain financial accounts in the U.S. Netflix is not blocked on my Roku Stick here in the D.R. and the programming is the same as in the U.S. and I don't use a proxy for that service...just regular WiFi through Silver Cable in Punta Cana. HOLA also works on my smart phone for things that need a proxy to receive and send data.

Get off of Hola right now! It's one of the worst services out there: http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/29/8685251/hola-vpn-botnet-selling-users-bandwidth

Even if they've reformed after that went public, it still happened. I wouldn't trust them.