DGM arrests a bunch of undocumented foreigners in Bavavo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Arrested yes but makes no mention of deporting anyone. Sounds a bit like they are just
harassing the competition.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
deporting or forcing to comply..........??????

seems benign, no deporting.... I don't think so.
The message is clear..............to me

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
looky here....
and i don't see a Haitian in the bunch..........

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...s-en-bavaro-por-situacion-irregular-FI5749575

Canadian..... and more
This might get serious...........

I can't count the number I know who wander around fearless of consequences

Might get serious? Yes, for those being here illegally and then breaking further laws. Just like in the huge country northwest of here that just elected a new president. Don't break the laws and you'll be fine. There are no mass roundups occurring. Stop scaring people. You can add me to the group that is fearless of consequences. If you entered this country legally, and don't commit crimes, you have nothing to worry about. I can't believe the amount of misinformation that has been allowed to freely flow through this forum over the last 5 years, but I am happy for it. Due to this misinformation it got me to move my butt and focus on becoming a poster, rather than just a reader. Again, please stop scaring people.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The only people who get scared are the ones who know they are doing something wrong and as a result are vulnerable. If you've got the right cards, you can go about your daily business and you don't have to worry about checkpoints, bank accounts, insurance or line ups at the airport.

Those who insist on flying under the radar are free to do so. That tingle of apprehension that is present deep in their brains is of their own doing and they have to learn to live with it. If it scares them, they should make a change.

Jan 7, 2016
LOTS of Venezuelans come here on "vacation in Punta Cana" and end-up staying because they don't want to return to their homeland due to the current fiscal situation there...this will probably continue until Maduro is replaced with someone or something more reasonable for the country. Was recently at DGM in Santo Domingo and there were literally hundreds of Venezuelans in the waiting area to get their Residency Cards...all with worried looks on their faces!

jannie123

Sep 26, 2016
My husband and I will arrive after Christmas and we would like to stay until the beginning of April. We are snowbirds, planning to visit for a few months. Do we need to apply for residency to visit for 3 months. We will not work or start a business, just a vacation.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No you don't. You may pay a small overstaying fee when leave, but no problems of any kind. Come on down and enjoy.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
No you don't. You may pay a small overstaying fee when leave, but no problems of any kind. Come on down and enjoy.

For a stay of more than 90 days (Christmas to early April), I believe the "small overstaying fee" is 4000 pesos (about $100 US) per person. *Enjoy your visit.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For a stay of more than 90 days (Christmas to early April), I believe the "small overstaying fee" is 4000 pesos (about $100 US) per person. *Enjoy your visit.

Anyone that thinks $100 US is a lot of money should stay home.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Anyone that thinks $100 US is a lot of money should stay home.

Lol....agreed. But I've seen folks at the airport thinking that the overstay fee is the same cost as the $10 tourist entry card and not prepared to pay it. Just want jannie to be aware of the approximate cost.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
DGM arrested the total of 19 illegal foreigners during various checks in bavaro area:
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...s-en-bavaro-por-situacion-irregular-FI5749575
mainly venezuelans and other latinos but they also list one canadian.

curiouser and curioser.

Due to the political climate in countries like Venezuela and others the DR is seeing an increase in people arriving on a tourist card and trying to fade into society. You may see an uptick in tracking down these individuals as we get into the new year.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Due to the political climate in countries like Venezuela and others the DR is seeing an increase in people arriving on a tourist card and trying to fade into society. You may see an uptick in tracking down these individuals as we get into the new year.

Indeed. Right about the time hell freeze$ over.*

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Here we go again but the good news is SKY is giving giving everyone that likes his posts $100 small change mmg.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have seen the rates posted on this site a few times..........and are correct.... The amount I paid last summer , for about 45 days over my tourist visa ....was 2500 pesos.....