Cable Del Norte IP address just changed from FL to DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Over the past couple of days, the IP address of my Cable del Norte account has changed from Florida to the DR. This change might effect some services people use such as on line movies and Spotify. I am not sure why this happened. *The next time I pay the bill I will ask, but if anyone finds out why the change was made please post it.*

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I don't know Cable del Norte but I do know Delancer (who subs to Comcast) have either a Miami or a DR IP address. For expats I think they automatically do Miami. When I was having problems with blacklisted, they offered that they only had the one in Miami and my alternative would be the DR. I didn't like the odds so am staying with Miami.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Could be the same with Cable Del Norte regarding the two options for the IP address. *I will check into it.*

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
For expats I think they automatically do Miami.

Nothing to do with expats at all. They are re-selling Comcast internet out of FL. When they have capacity issues - they are buying the traffic either from Claro or BW Telecom.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bred, *that makes perfect sense. *I will have to see if I can request a change back to "Miami"....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
First time for me, at least that I have noticed, my Delancer IP is based in the DR. Early this morning I was lying in bed streaming a movie from Amazon without issue. Tried to start watching where I left off when the sandman visited but no joy, geo location blocked.

Are we still going with, "when the situation is resolved it will switch back to Miami automatically" or do I need to stop in and request the IP be reset to Miami?

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
First time for me, at least that I have noticed, my Delancer IP is based in the DR. Early this morning I was lying in bed streaming a movie from Amazon without issue. Tried to start watching where I left off when the sandman visited but no joy, geo location blocked.

Are we still going with, "when the situation is resolved it will switch back to Miami automatically" or do I need to stop in and request the IP be reset to Miami?

What IP address you see now?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Well I just checked my IP address and for the first time in 10 years it's in the DR. I was told by Comcast that in order to switch from my US IP to a Dom IP I'd need a different modem. Not true, still have same modem and now a DR address. However, I had no problem buying things online in the States and still get my Netflix. Maybe I should just keep my fingers crossed.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can get by around the geo location restrictions by using a vpn on my computers but my firetv stick won't stream video or play music outside the US and has no provision to make use of a vpn.

Everything else works fine and I don't expect online orders, or surfing to be affected at all. Next time I go past Delancer, I'll stop in and ask them what they're doing now.*

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Big problem. The address still belongs to Comcast (columbus networks, USA), but this particular range geolocation shows - Dominican Republic. So, it is not bandwidth issue, it is a major change.

I suspected that the game was afoot. No big issues yet for me, but if I use Spotify, they will notice.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Miami IP was one of the only advantages for staying with Delancer and their grossly inflated prices. I just bought another amazon device for a Christmas present. If this is permanent change the device will not work as I intended it to be used. Might have to buy a router that supports logging into a VPN for network wide access for my devices that can't be configured individually.

I expect to talk with Delancer today if a break in the rain showers offer an opportunity.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We have same IP address with Delancer. When I go in to pay my bill I will ask them as well.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If this is going to be a permanent change, then it may well be time to lay some conduit and get Claro in to install service. With the loss of the only English Canadian TV channel, and now possibly the loss of the US IP address, Delancer's service offerings and price will no longer be justifiable.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What Delancer has to say...

If you can believe what you are told, here is the deal...

For reasons they struggled to explain, "some people prefer a DR IP, so they changed everyone over." Some sooner than others apparently. If you ask to be changed back to a US based IP, they will go clickety clickety and do so. The change is supposed to take about an hour to make it's way to the DHCP server.*

It has been just slightly over an hour and I do not yet see the change. I have soft booted the modem once to see if that would hurry things along but no joy. I'll let you know what happens as the day progresses.*

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Why not get a cheap router , flash it with a custom firmware like DD-WRT to set your 'permanent' US VPN ?This way you have full control of your US IP connection and you are not relying on your internet service provider . You can also connect any device you want - including firestick.

We bought two cheap ( used) routers for under $20 and one is permanently connected to a US IP and the other to the UK ( the wife likes UK TV :surprised) . The set up works well for us.
Our neighbor bought a pre-flashed router and this works well too .